Prove uniqueness of solution to a simple equation

• Thread starter Irid
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Uniqueness
In summary, the conversation discusses the proof of the equation e^x = 1+x admitting the unique solution x_0 = 0. The participants mention using the concept of monotonicity or the absence of inflection points, but are unsure how to proceed with the proof. It is suggested that 1+x is the tangent line to e^x at x=0 and e^x is concave up, or that the Mean Value Theorem can be applied.
Irid

Homework Statement

Prove that the equation [tex]e^x = 1+x[/tex] admits the unique solution [tex]x_0 = 0[/tex].

2. The attempt at a solution

I think there should be a very simple proof based on monotonicity or the absence of inflection points, etc.

But I have no idea how to do it, and what theorems are to be used. All I can say from the equation, is that if there are solutions, they certainly satisfy

[tex] x>-1[/tex]

I'm actually a little ashamed that I can't do this, most likely, trivial problem, maybe somebody can show me the right path?

Physics news on Phys.org
1+x is the tangent line to e^x at x=0 and e^x is concave up. Or note that if 1+x intersected e^x at another point then the Mean Value Theorem would say there is a point in between where the derivative of e^x is 1.

FAQ: Prove uniqueness of solution to a simple equation

1. How do you define uniqueness of a solution to an equation?

Uniqueness of a solution to an equation means that there is only one possible value that satisfies the equation and no other value can result in a valid solution.

2. What is the significance of proving uniqueness of solution to an equation?

Proving uniqueness of solution to an equation is important because it assures us that there is only one correct answer to the equation and it eliminates any ambiguity or uncertainty in the solution.

3. What methods can be used to prove uniqueness of solution to an equation?

There are several methods that can be used to prove uniqueness of solution to an equation, such as using algebraic manipulations, mathematical properties, or calculus techniques like the intermediate value theorem.

4. Can an equation have more than one unique solution?

No, an equation can only have one unique solution. If an equation has more than one solution, it is referred to as having multiple solutions, but not unique ones.

5. How does proving uniqueness of solution to an equation differ from solving an equation?

Proving uniqueness of solution to an equation involves demonstrating that there is only one possible solution, while solving an equation involves finding the specific value or values that satisfy the equation. Proving uniqueness is a more general concept, while solving is a specific process.

Back