Difference between longitudinal and transverse refractive indices

In summary, the dielectric constant in an isotropic material is a tensor, and you need two descriptions of it, one for waves incident on a surface and one for bulk matter.
Gobil
hi All,

as the title suggests, I a not so clear on the difference between the two. in particular in solids, I have been looking at various approached to calculating the refractive index. But I´m not so clear on why there is two descriptions of we have a homogeneous medium.

thnks!

Physics news on Phys.org
Have a look at:

http://siba.unipv.it/fisica/articoli/P/PhysicsUspekhi2006_49_1029.pdf

Last edited by a moderator:
thanks for the article DrDu, I guess now my understanding is that we need these two descriptions because the k vector goes in a certain direction, and the dielectric function is not the same in all directions. Is this due to crystal orientations in different directions? would we need a transverse and longitudinal description for something amorphous, like glass?

Gobil said:
would we need a transverse and longitudinal description for something amorphous, like glass?

Yes, also in an isotropic material the dielectric constant becomes a tensor once q dependence is taken into account. The free electron gas you are especially interested in is an example.
Note that the need to make epsilon dependent on q (or k) results partially from the convention in optics to take mu=1. Compare especially sections 3.1 and 3.2 of the link I gave you.

DrDu said:
Yes, also in an isotropic material the dielectric constant becomes a tensor once q dependence is taken into account. The free electron gas you are especially interested in is an example.
Note that the need to make epsilon dependent on q (or k) results partially from the convention in optics to take mu=1. Compare especially sections 3.1 and 3.2 of the link I gave you.

but in an isotropic material with mu = 1 do we also need this description?

also, is this only valid for waves incident on a surface? i.e. we are going from vacuum to some material, otherwise, if we are in a infinite isotropic homogeneous medium, the direction of the k vector does not matter at all, right?

No, you will also need this description in bulk matter ( a surface is not isotropic, is it?).
Almost all of your questions are better answered in that article than I can do it.

I´m sorry, physically I just don't get it. In an infinite isotropic, homogeneous medium, why does the light see a different refractive index depending on what direction it is propagating??

Indeed in an isotropic medium, light doesn't see a different refractive index depending on direction.
However it is possible that there are waves with the same frequency but different wavelength present. The most well known effect of this kind is, as I mentioned already, circular dichroism, where left and right circularly polarized light have different indices of refraction.

On the other hand, the distinction between longitudinal and transversal dielectric constant is not so much a difference of different kinds of light: As light is transversally polarized, its propagation depends only on the transversal dielectric constant. The longitudinal dielectric constant is more important in the description of the shielding of Coulomb potential or the description of plasmons.

What is the difference between longitudinal and transverse refractive indices?

The longitudinal refractive index, also known as the ordinary refractive index, is the measure of how much a material bends light as it passes through. It is perpendicular to the direction of light propagation. On the other hand, the transverse refractive index, also called the extraordinary refractive index, measures the amount of light bending that occurs parallel to the direction of light propagation.

How are longitudinal and transverse refractive indices related to anisotropy?

Anisotropy refers to the directional dependence of a material's properties. In the case of refractive indices, anisotropy is seen when the longitudinal and transverse refractive indices have different values. This indicates that the material's optical properties vary depending on the direction of light propagation.

Can the longitudinal and transverse refractive indices be different in the same material?

Yes, in anisotropic materials, the longitudinal and transverse refractive indices can have different values. This is due to the different ways that light interacts with the material depending on its direction of propagation.

How are longitudinal and transverse refractive indices measured?

Longitudinal and transverse refractive indices are typically measured using a refractometer. This instrument measures the angle of refraction as light passes through a material and calculates the refractive index based on Snell's law.

What are some examples of materials with different longitudinal and transverse refractive indices?

Some materials that exhibit anisotropy and therefore have different longitudinal and transverse refractive indices include calcite, quartz, and sapphire. These materials are commonly used in optical devices such as polarizers and waveplates due to their unique optical properties.