1D transverse-field Ising model - classical vs quantum differences?

In summary, the 1D transverse field Ising model is a well-studied problem that is usually solved using quantum methods. However, it can also be solved using classical methods by parametrizing the angles of the spins and using a Boltzmann ensemble of spin angle sequences. This leads to a Markov process that can be approximated using Maximal Entropy Random Walk. The resulting joint distributions for the spin angles show that there is thermal wobbling of spin directions, with different behaviors depending on the parameters. In contrast, quantum approaches only consider spins in four directions. There is some debate about the differences in interpretation and predictions between the classical and quantum treatments, with some studies showing similar results and others highlighting discrepancies. However
Jarek 31
TL;DR Summary
How to interpret intermediate spin angles in transverse-field Ising model? Should spin directions wobble thermally?
What are the differences between interpretations and predictions of classical and quantum treatment of this model?
The 1D transverse field Ising model
$$ H(\sigma)=-J\sum_{i\in \mathbb{Z}} \sigma^x_i \sigma^x_{i+1} -h \sum_{i \in \mathbb{Z}} \sigma^z_i$$
is usually solved in quantum way, but we can also solve it classically - e.g. parametrize angles of spins ##\sigma^x_i = \cos(\alpha_i), \sigma^z_i=\sin(\alpha_i)## and use Boltzmann ensemble of sequences of spin angles:
$$\textrm{Pr}(\sigma)\propto \exp(-H(\sigma)) \qquad \textrm{for} \qquad \sigma = ((\cos(\alpha_i),\sin(\alpha_i)))_{i\in Z}$$
getting Markov process of angles, which can be easily approximated with Maximal Entropy Random Walk, for example leading to below joint distributions for ##(\alpha_i, \alpha_{i+1})\in [0,2\pi]^2## for various parameters (Section III here):

1619046341627.png

As intuition suggests, there is some thermal wobbling of spin directions: (anti)aligned for dominating ##J##, in ##x## axis for dominating ##h##.

However, in quantum approaches there are only considered spins in four directions: ##|\leftarrow \rangle,|\rightarrow \rangle,|\uparrow \rangle,|\downarrow \rangle##, so should we imagine that intermediate angles are obtained by superposition?
Should there be thermal wobbling of spin directions as in densities above?

What are the differences in interpretation and predictions between such looking natural classical treatment and the quantum one?

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
I have found similar 2006 article "Classical Ising chain in transverse field": sciencedirect.com/science/article/abs/pii/S0304885306016295 saying that classical and quantum predictions are quite similar.
Classical is much simpler to calculate - it would be great to get a deeper understanding of their differences.

1. What is the 1D transverse-field Ising model?

The 1D transverse-field Ising model is a simplified model used in statistical physics to study the behavior of magnetic materials. It consists of a chain of spins (or magnetic moments) that can either be in an "up" or "down" state, interacting with each other through a transverse magnetic field.

2. What is the difference between the classical and quantum versions of the 1D transverse-field Ising model?

In the classical version, the spins are treated as classical objects with well-defined orientations, while in the quantum version, the spins are described by quantum states that can exist in a superposition of both "up" and "down" states. This leads to different behaviors and properties of the system.

3. How does the transverse magnetic field affect the system in the 1D transverse-field Ising model?

The transverse magnetic field acts as a perturbation to the system and can drive the system from a magnetically ordered state (all spins pointing in the same direction) to a disordered state (spins pointing in random directions). In the quantum version, this can also lead to the phenomenon of quantum phase transitions.

4. What are some applications of the 1D transverse-field Ising model?

The 1D transverse-field Ising model has been used to study a variety of physical systems, including magnetic materials, quantum computers, and even biological systems. It can also provide insights into phase transitions and critical phenomena in other systems.

5. How is the 1D transverse-field Ising model related to other statistical physics models?

The 1D transverse-field Ising model is a simplified version of the more general Ising model, which describes the interactions between spins in a lattice. It is also related to other models such as the XY model and the Heisenberg model, which have different types of interactions between the spins.