Ghostly Interactions: Real World Effects?

In summary, the zero point energy has an effect on real world particles, but it is not divorced from physical structure.
wolram
Gold Member
Dearly Missed
Please excuse an ignorant question, but does this ghostly zero point
energy have any effect on real world particles?

Physics news on Phys.org
wolram said:
Please excuse an ignorant question, but does this ghostly zero point
energy have any effect on real world particles?

what is gostly about the zero point energy ?

marlon

I don't know i am hoping that someone can give me an insight of these
interactions.

A cristall latter in its ground state can be explained with the harmonic oscillator. The zero point energy of such an oscillator isn't zero like in classical mechanics. Thus, the zpe of a harmonic oscillator of for example a atomic latter is:

E=h(bar)w/2.

Now, of course there are a lot of oscillators in such a latter and the whole energy of a cristallic latter in ground state is:
E=E(oscillator 1)+E(oscillator 2)+...+E(oscillator n). (the oscillators 1 to n are all in ground state and can have diverent numbers of w).

The ground state energy of a harmonic oscillator isn't zero cause of the Heisenberg's uncertainty principle.

Please be kind to me, i am asking this question as a pedestrian, if
you can give a basic answer, something that is understander able
to the GP i will be in your debt

wolram said:
Please be kind to me, i am asking this question as a pedestrian, if
you can give a basic answer, something that is understander able
to the GP i will be in your debt

Look at the particle in a box (a potential well from which it "may" not escape)

In the box the potential is zero, at the exterior the potential is infinite

If the lowest energy value were zero then we know that the momentum is zero (E = p²/2m + 0). But the due to [tex]\Delta x \Delta p = constant[/tex] the position (x) is infinite and the particle is no longer in the box because it has no specific position... You see ? Thus, the lowest energy value must be non-zero

marlon

So the ZPE field has an effect on all "baryonic", structures, and can
not be divorced from perceived physical structure?

wolram said:
So the ZPE field has an effect on all "baryonic", structures, and can
not be divorced from perceived physical structure?

Virtual particles cannot be seen since they are not "physical"
I mean, they are not on mass shell or they don't obey the Einstein energy relationship. However their effect on "real" interactions is definitely there.

As to the ZPE, the Casimir effect is a pure and observable manifestation of this virtual particle see that arises due to vacuum energy fluctuations. Check Wikipedia for that matter

marlon

@marlon:
mass shell: obey Einstein's energy relation
mass shell: do not obey Einstein's energy relation

You mean this equation: E^2=(cp)^2+(mc^2)^2
So a real particle does obey this equation, because it has a given momentum and mass. But why don't virtual particle (take a positron) obey this equation?
I mean they have mass, they have momentum?

Sterj said:
@marlon:
mass shell: obey Einstein's energy relation
mass shell: do not obey Einstein's energy relation
indeed

You mean this equation: E^2=(cp)^2+(mc^2)^2
So a real particle does obey this equation, because it has a given momentum and mass.

Indeed

But why don't virtual particle (take a positron) obey this equation?
I mean they have mass, they have momentum?

Because such a virtual particle is an intermediate stage of an interaction between real particles. QFT teaches us that we need to integrate over all momentum-values of such particles.

marlon

yes, but if we work in vacuum for example a virtual photon can create a positron-electron pair. Is it right, that in this case the electron-positron pait can not be observed?

If the virtual particle is only an exchange particle, it takes its energy from uncertainty and this particle will disappear after a short while, so the einstein's energy relation isn't obeyed, because this was only there for a short while.

(sorry for such an English)

Sterj,
i have answered these matters in the QM-section, more specifically in the virtual particles thread

marlon

1. What is the definition of a ghostly interaction?

A ghostly interaction is a phenomenon where a ghost or spirit interacts with the physical world, causing observable effects such as objects moving or strange sounds being heard.

2. How do scientists explain ghostly interactions?

Scientists do not have a definitive explanation for ghostly interactions, as they are difficult to study and replicate in controlled environments. Some theories suggest that they could be a result of electromagnetic fields, psychological factors, or even hoaxes.

3. Are there any scientific studies on ghostly interactions?

There have been some scientific studies on ghostly interactions, but they are limited and inconclusive. Many of these studies focus on the psychological and cultural aspects of ghostly experiences rather than trying to prove or disprove their existence.

4. Can ghostly interactions be dangerous?

There is no scientific evidence to suggest that ghostly interactions are dangerous. However, some people may feel fear or discomfort when experiencing these phenomena, which can be attributed to psychological factors.

5. Is there any way to communicate with ghosts during an interaction?

There is no scientifically proven way to communicate with ghosts during an interaction. Some people believe in the use of mediums or Ouija boards, but these methods have not been scientifically validated and can be dangerous if not used properly.