Understanding Forces and Accelerations with respect to pump systems

In summary, the conversation discusses the relationship between static pressure, force, and acceleration in a pumping system. The question arises about the need for a pump in a closed system and the role of gravity in overcoming force. The concept of pressure head is also mentioned as a factor in determining the effectiveness of a pump.
skiboka33
I am familiar with the idea of pump head and system pressure losses, pump curves etc.

However, a friend was asking about the relationship between static pressure, force and acceleration.

For example, if the pump supplies a certain pressure (P) at a given flow rate, is there not a force which corresponds to that pressure (similar to P=F/A). The problem is, that if there is a constant force being applied, that would imply a constant acceleration. In reality, most systems have a constant velocity.

I know the logic is wrong, but I am having trouble explaining why, or pinpointing the reason.

Thanks for your help! :thumbs:

Engineering news on Phys.org
In a closed system, why is a pump needed at all? What is the pump pushing against? Answer that and you'll have your answer.

Well if, say, the pump is used to pump water out of a lake or a well, would it need to overcome the 'force' of gravity?

I've always thought about it in terms of pressure head and making sure the available head is greater than the potential losses (frictional + elevation changes).

Basically I never really though about pumps/piping systems in terms of forces per se, and I'm having trouble explaining why.

The force of gravity is the water head between the pump elevation and the water discharge point. For example: For water, the head pressure is approximately 0.5 psi per ft of lift height; so, if the water discharge height is 50 ft above the pump then the static water back pressure acting upon the pump discharge will be 25 psig.

This thread died 2 years ago, the member hasn't been here in 2 years, you may want to check the dates before responding. :smile:

FAQ: Understanding Forces and Accelerations with respect to pump systems

1. What is the relationship between force and acceleration in pump systems?

The relationship between force and acceleration in pump systems is described by Newton's Second Law of Motion, which states that the force acting on an object is equal to its mass multiplied by its acceleration. In pump systems, this means that the force applied to the fluid by the pump results in an acceleration of the fluid, causing it to flow through the system.

2. How does the type of pump affect the forces and accelerations in a pump system?

The type of pump used in a system can greatly impact the forces and accelerations that occur. For example, a centrifugal pump uses centrifugal force to accelerate the fluid, while a positive displacement pump uses mechanical means to displace the fluid in a specific direction. The design and operating principles of each type of pump will influence the forces and accelerations experienced in the system.

3. What factors can affect the forces and accelerations in a pump system?

Several factors can affect the forces and accelerations in a pump system, including the type of pump, the size and speed of the pump, the properties of the fluid being pumped, and the design and layout of the system. Other factors such as friction, gravity, and external forces may also play a role in the overall forces and accelerations experienced in the system.

4. How can we measure and calculate forces and accelerations in pump systems?

There are various methods for measuring and calculating forces and accelerations in pump systems. One common approach is to use mathematical equations, such as Newton's Second Law, to determine the force and acceleration based on known variables such as mass, velocity, and pump characteristics. Additionally, specialized instruments such as dynamometers and accelerometers can be used to directly measure forces and accelerations in a pump system.

5. What are some potential consequences of high forces and accelerations in pump systems?

High forces and accelerations in pump systems can lead to various consequences, such as mechanical stress and wear on pump components, increased energy consumption, and potential damage to the system. It is important to carefully design and monitor pump systems to ensure that forces and accelerations are within safe and efficient operating limits.

Back