The doppler effect and EM waves

In summary, the problem involves a police car and a speeder moving towards each other on a highway, with the police officer aiming a radar gun at the speeder. The frequency of the emitted electromagnetic wave is 10.0x10^9 Hz. To find the magnitude of the difference between the frequency of the emitted wave and the wave that returns to the police car after reflecting from the speeder's car, the Doppler equation is used. The difference is calculated by subtracting the two speeds and using the positive sign in the equation. However, to get an accurate answer, more decimal places should be used in the calculation and the velocity difference may need to be doubled due to the reflected signal.
Dart82

Homework Statement

Suppose that a police car on the highway is moving to the right at 28 m/s, while a speeder is coming up from almost directly behind at a speed of 34 m/s, both speeds being with respect to the ground. The police officer aims a radar gun at the speeder. Assume that the electromagnetic wave emitted by the radar gun has a frequency of 10.0x10^9 Hz.

* Find the magnitude of the difference between the frequency of the emitted wave and the wave that returns to the police car after reflecting from the speeder's car.

[URL=http://img46.imageshack.us/my.php?image=doppleryd8.png][PLAIN]http://img46.imageshack.us/img46/6098/doppleryd8.th.png[/URL][/PLAIN]

Homework Equations

doppler Effect equation

The Attempt at a Solution

i know the doppler equation, but where i am confused is relative velocity. i have tried working this problem out numerous ways: i have subtracted to the two speeds, i have added their speeds, i don't know how to come to the right conclusion in terms of relative speed. i noticed my book says that "do not use the speed of the observer or of the source with respect to the ground in the doppler equation." If that is the case, then what am i supposed to use? Also, one object is moving away, while one is moving towards the other. Do i use the plus or minus sign in the doppler equation. i would say the + sign since the speeder is moving faster than the cop car and will eventually pass it.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
You should use the difference of the two speeds. And, yes, since they are closing on each other, the sign should be +.

Dick, i did what you suggested but the answer i get is not right.
using the doppler equation to solve for the observed frequency:
fs*[1+(6m/s / speed of light) = 1.0x10^10 Hz
Now since they ask for the difference between the frequency of the emitted wave and the wave that returns to the police car after reflecting from the speeder's car i would do the following:
10.0x10^9 Hz - 1.0x10^10 = 0 !
Can you see anything off hand that i am screwing up here?

You need to calculate to about 9 decimal places before the difference is apparent. Don't use 3x10^8 M/s because it's not accurate enough.
it's actually 2.994... you'll need to look it up.

Oh, you may also have to double the velocity difference because the wave is being dopplered twice (?)

Last edited:
Do use more decimal places. You don't really need more accuracy in c, it won't make that much difference in the ratio. And yes, I think there is a factor of two since it's a reflected signal.

Last edited:

1. What is the Doppler Effect?

The Doppler Effect is the phenomenon where the frequency of a sound wave appears to change when the source of the sound is moving relative to the listener. This effect also applies to electromagnetic (EM) waves, such as light. When the source is moving towards the listener, the waves are compressed and have a higher frequency. When the source is moving away from the listener, the waves are stretched and have a lower frequency.

2. How is the Doppler Effect used in everyday life?

The Doppler Effect is used in a variety of technologies, such as radar and sonar, to measure the velocity and distance of moving objects. It is also used in medical imaging, such as ultrasound, to create images of internal body structures. Additionally, it is used in astronomy to determine the movement and velocity of celestial objects.

3. How do EM waves differ from sound waves in terms of the Doppler Effect?

EM waves and sound waves both experience the Doppler Effect, but there are some key differences. EM waves can travel through a vacuum, while sound waves require a medium such as air or water. Additionally, the speed of EM waves is much faster than sound waves, which can affect the perceived frequency shift.

4. Can the Doppler Effect be observed with stationary objects?

No, the Doppler Effect can only be observed when there is relative motion between the source of the waves and the observer. If both the source and observer are stationary, there will be no apparent change in frequency.

5. Does the Doppler Effect only apply to moving objects?

No, the Doppler Effect can also occur with stationary objects if the observer is moving. For example, if a person is standing on a train platform and a train approaches, the sound of the train's horn will have a higher frequency as it approaches and a lower frequency as it moves away. This is because the observer (person on the platform) is moving relative to the source (train).