Is Recycling Your Own Paper Plagiarism?

In summary, the conversation is discussing the possibility of recycling an old paper for a current class assignment. While some argue that it is not plagiarism if it is one's own work, others point out that it may not be in line with academic honesty and could be considered self-plagiarism. It is suggested to at least refine and tailor the old paper to fit the new assignment and to discuss the issue with the professor. Ultimately, it is advised to write a new paper in order to fully benefit from the class and avoid any potential issues.
MikeHK
What do you think about recycling one of your old papers? I don't see how it would be plagiarism if it was your original work in the first place. Heres my situation - I wrote a 5 page on the history of a topic I am studying in my freshman intro class. Now, a few years later, I am in this non-technical Bacc core class (same dept) and the professor wants a 3-5 page paper on a topic of our choice that relates to the class. My old paper would work well, and honestly, I just want to be done with the class since I haven't learned a single new thing, its just a timesink.

Does anyone see a problem with this? Since it was all my own 100% original work, I don't see an issue. Opinions?

Physics news on Phys.org
I don't think there's anything wrong with that, since, like you pointed out, it is your own work. I would, however, remedy any guilt by taking at least some time to refine and tailor the paper. Chances are, you could make the thesis more fitting than the original and maybe even add some new information so it's not a complete recycle. Good luck with whatever you decide to do!

While not plagiarism, it is not really in the spirit of academic honesty to resubmit a paper you earned a grade for in another class... If you were submitting a paper to a journal you wouldn't publish the same article in Nature AND Science.

It might be a good idea to get somebody else to pose a hypothetical situation to the professor so you can find out what the policy is.

PS - If the class was such a waste of time, why did you bother with it?

I tried to get out of it, wasn't going to happen. Its one of the "Baccalaureate Core Courses". Everyone at the university has to take a certain amount of them. This is my "science and technology" bacc core class. I figured if I picked the one in my major, it might be interesting being in there with people from all different majors, not just engineering. Turns out its just stuff I learned in my freshman year, only without any math. Seriously boring, but at this point I need it to graduate. The head advisor can waive just about any course in the curriculum if he wanted, except for the baccalaureate core courses.

oedipa maas said:
PS - If the class was such a waste of time, why did you bother with it?

It is ironic that you complain about not learning anything, and also do not want to do any work writing the paper for it. If you write the paper maybe you will learn something.

Mike - whether or not you think it is plagiarism, your university almost assuredly defines what you are doing as self-plagiarism. Proceed at your own risk.

If you make it clear what you are reusing and cite your old paper it might be okay, but at that point you professor might not be okay with it, either.

write a new paper, you'll be glad you did.

What is the purpose of recycling one of your papers?

The purpose of recycling one of your papers is to reduce waste and conserve resources. By reusing a paper, you are preventing it from ending up in a landfill and saving trees and energy that would be used to produce a new paper.

How can I recycle one of my papers?

You can recycle one of your papers by using it as a draft for a new paper, submitting it to a recycling program, or sharing it with others who may find it helpful for their own research. You can also make digital copies of your paper and save it on a computer or online platform.

Is it ethical to recycle one of my papers?

Yes, it is ethical to recycle one of your papers as long as you properly cite and reference any previous work that you use in your new paper. Recycling a paper does not mean plagiarizing, but rather using your own work to support and enhance your current research.

Can I recycle a paper that has already been published?

Yes, you can recycle a paper that has already been published as long as you have permission from the publisher and follow their guidelines for reusing your work. You may also need to update and make revisions to your paper to ensure it is relevant and meets the standards of the new publication.

Are there any benefits to recycling one of my papers?

Yes, there are several benefits to recycling one of your papers. Not only does it reduce waste and conserve resources, but it also saves you time and effort in creating a new paper from scratch. Additionally, recycling a paper can help you improve and refine your ideas and arguments, leading to a stronger and more impactful piece of research.