Power Series Change of Indices: I broke math again

In summary, the conversation discusses combining three infinite series into one with equal powers of x and starting index. The change in indices may cause certain powers of x to vanish due to coefficients. This is related to the Frobenius method and can be avoided by using a Laurent series solution. However, in the case of a singularity, it may not be possible to cancel out certain terms.
Saladsamurai

Homework Statement

I have an infinite series that looks like this:

[tex]\sum_0^\infty n(n-1)d_nx^{n-1} + \sum_0^\infty n(n-1)d_nx^n + \sum_0^\infty d_nx^n[/tex]I wish to combine all three sums so that they must all have same powers of x and start at same index. The second and third summations are fine. To change the first, I simply let [itex] j = n-1 \Rightarrow n = j+1[/itex]. So at n = 0, j = -1 and so we have[tex]\sum_{-1}^\infty j(j+1)d_{j+1}x^{j} + \sum_0^\infty j(j-1)d_jx^j + \sum_0^\infty d_jx^j[/tex]Now I might be able to answer my own question here: In the original summation that ran fromm n = 0, clearly the lowest power of 'x' that would ever appear is x0 at n = 0. However, here, at j = -1, we have an x-1, but we "lucked out" since there is a coefficient of (j+1)=0 that causes it to vanish.

I am assuming here, that it will always be the case that by changing the indices, we will produce a coefficients that cause powers of x that are not supposed to exist to vanish.

Is this correct to say?

Physics news on Phys.org
If the differential equation is nonsingular, what you say is probably correct. Note: I think this is related to your other post about the Frobenius method. When there is a singularity in the ode, you might run into [tex]x^{-a}[/tex] terms that can't be canceled by anything else if you try a power series that starts with an [tex]x^0[/tex] order term. As an alternative to the Frobenius method, you can attempt a Laurent series solution, which would include at least some powers of x to negative powers.

Hi fzero :smile:

That is interesting because this is a Frobenius solution. It is part of my solution to a Frobenius EQ that had roots that differ by an integer. I am now seeking y2 in the form [itex]y_2 = ky_1\ln(x) + \sum_o^\infty d_nx^n[/itex] and the summation in the OP is part of the mess the.

Well what happened in that first term is that the factor [tex]n\rightarrow j+1[/tex] came down when you took a derivative. So it's properly zero in the [tex]n=0[/tex] term because it was the derivative of a constant. However, if we had a term

[tex]x^{-1} \sum_{n=0} c_n x^n, [/tex]

it would take a very special coincidence to be able cancel the singular term after a shift. Because you are seeking a Frobenius solution, you're avoiding these terms by construction.

1. What is a power series?

A power series is an infinite series of the form a0 + a1x + a2x2 + a3x3 + ..., where the coefficients a0, a1, a2, a3, etc. are constants and x is a variable.

2. How do you change the indices in a power series?

To change the indices in a power series, you can use a substitution such as u = x - a, where a is a constant. Then, replace all instances of x with u in the power series and simplify to get the new series.

3. What is the purpose of changing the indices in a power series?

Changing the indices in a power series allows us to manipulate the series in different ways and potentially make it easier to work with. It can also help us identify patterns and find the sum of the series.

4. Can any power series be changed into a different form?

No, not all power series can be changed into a different form. The series must have certain properties, such as convergence, in order for the change of indices to be valid.

5. How do you know if a power series has a valid change of indices?

A power series has a valid change of indices if it meets certain conditions, such as having a constant ratio between consecutive terms or having a finite radius of convergence. These conditions can be determined through various tests, such as the ratio test or the root test.