Show Laplace[f(at)] = (1/a) F(s/a)]

• Thread starter Saladsamurai
  • Start date
In summary, the Laplace Transform is a mathematical operation used to convert a function of time into a function of complex frequency, commonly used in engineering and physics to solve differential equations and analyze dynamic systems. The formula for Laplace Transform of f(at) is (1/a) F(s/a), representing the property of scaling. This formula is useful in solving differential equations as it converts them into easier-to-solve algebraic equations. It can be used to find the Laplace Transform of any function that satisfies the necessary conditions.
Saladsamurai

Homework Statement

Show that if

[tex]\text{L}\[f(t)] = F(s) \text{ then } \text{L}\[f(at)] = \frac{1}{a}F(\frac{s}{a})[/tex]

Homework Equations

Definition of Laplace

The Attempt at a Solution

By definition,

[tex]L[f(at)] = \int_0^\infty f(at)e^{-st}dt[/tex]

I was given a hint to let u = at --> dt = du/a so we have

[tex]L[f(at)] = \frac{1}{a}\int_0^\infty f(u)e^{-\frac{s}{a}u}\,du[/tex]

Now it looks like I am about done, but I am not sure how to proceed? I believe I now need to show that the if by definition

[tex]L[f(t)] = F(s) = \int_0^\infty f(t)e^{-st}dt[/tex]

then the integral

[tex]\int_0^\infty f(t)e^{-\frac{s}{a}t}\,dt = F(\frac{s}{a})[/tex]

Seems simple enough, but I am not sure how to show it.

Physics news on Phys.org
Differentiate w.r.t a and obtain a differentiatal equation in a and solve it.

Mat

Define [tex]\tilde{s} = s/a[/tex], then by definition the integral is [tex] F(\tilde{s})[/tex].

fzero said:
Define [tex]\tilde{s} = s/a[/tex], then by definition the integral is [tex] F(\tilde{s})[/tex].

Man, I knew I was almost there. Thanks! That works perfectly.

Edit: For completeness of the thread: Letting [itex]\tilde{s} = s/a,[/itex]

[tex]L[f(at)] = \frac{1}{a}\int_0^\infty f(u)e^{-\frac{s}{a}u}\,du = \frac{1}{a}\int_0^\infty f(u)e^{-\tilde{s}u}\,du[/tex]

which is an integral transform that sends f from the u domain to the [itex]tilde{s}[/itex] domain:

[tex]\int_0^\infty f(u)e^{-\tilde{s}u}\,du = F(\tilde{s}) = F(\frac{s}{a})[/tex]

so,

[tex]L[f(at)] = \frac{1}{a}\int_0^\infty f(u)e^{-\frac{s}{a}u}\,du = \frac{1}{a}\int_0^\infty f(u)e^{-\tilde{s}u}\,du = \frac{1}{a}F(\frac{s}{a})[/tex]

Last edited:

Related to Show Laplace[f(at)] = (1/a) F(s/a)]

What is Laplace Transform?

The Laplace Transform is a mathematical operation that converts a function of time into a function of complex frequency. It is commonly used in engineering and physics to solve differential equations and analyze dynamic systems.

What is the formula for Laplace Transform of f(at)?

The formula for Laplace Transform of f(at) is given by:
L[f(at)] = (1/a) F(s/a), where F(s) is the Laplace Transform of f(t).

What does the formula Show Laplace[f(at)] = (1/a) F(s/a)] represent?

This formula represents the property of scaling in the Laplace Transform. It states that if a function is multiplied by a constant (a), then its Laplace Transform will also be scaled by the inverse of that constant (1/a).

How is this formula useful in solving differential equations?

The Laplace Transform is a powerful tool for solving differential equations because it converts a differential equation into an algebraic equation, which is often easier to solve. This particular formula allows us to scale the function and its Laplace Transform, making it easier to manipulate and solve the resulting equations.

Can this formula be used to find the Laplace Transform of any function?

Yes, this formula can be used to find the Laplace Transform of any function as long as the function satisfies the conditions for the Laplace Transform to exist, such as being piecewise continuous and of exponential order.