What Coordinate Transformation Converts a Complex Metric to Minkowski Space?

In summary, the coordinate transformation that turns ds^2 into c^2dt^2 - dx^2 - dy^2 - dz^2 is arctan(X).
Logarythmic
How can I identify the coordinate transformation that turns

[tex]ds^2 = \left(1+\frac{\epsilon}{1+c^2t^2}\right)^2c^2dt^2 - \left(\frac{\epsilon}{1+x^2}\right)^2x^2 - \left(\frac{\epsilon}{1+y^2}\right)^2y^2 - \left(\frac{\epsilon}{1+z^2}\right)^2z^2[/tex]

into the Minkowski metric

[tex]ds^2 = c^2dt^2 - dx^2 - dy^2 - dz^2[/tex]?

Physics news on Phys.org
Logarythmic said:
How can I identify the coordinate transformation that turns

[tex]ds^2 = \left(1+\frac{\epsilon}{1+c^2t^2}\right)^2c^2dt^2 - \left(\frac{\epsilon}{1+x^2}\right)^2x^2 - \left(\frac{\epsilon}{1+y^2}\right)^2y^2 - \left(\frac{\epsilon}{1+z^2}\right)^2z^2[/tex]

into the Minkowski metric

[tex]ds^2 = c^2dt^2 - dx^2 - dy^2 - dz^2[/tex]?

You forgot a bunch of d's in the first equation, and you should use different symbols for the coordinates in the two equations - maybe primes in the second.

What happens if you identify corresponding terms in the two metrics?

My equations looks just like that, but I guess they are wrong. (P. Coles, Cosmology)
What dou you mean by identify?

Maybe
[tex]\left(1+\frac{\epsilon}{1+c^2t^2}\right)^2c^2dt^2 = c^2dT^2[/tex]
[tex]\left(\frac{\epsilon}{1+x^2}\right)^2dx^2 = dX^2[/tex]
etc?

Yes that I can see, but that's not a transformation for the whole metric?

Logarythmic said:
Yes that I can see, but that's not a transformation for the whole metric?

I'm not sure what you mean by this.

You're looking for coordinate transformations, i.e., [itex]X = X \left( t, x, y, z)[/itex], etc. Then, e.g.,

[tex]dX = \frac{\partial X}{\partial{t}} dt + \frac{\partial X}{\partial{x}} dx+ \frac{\partial X}{\partial{y}} dy + \frac{\partial X}{\partial{z}} dz.[/tex]

A new coordinate does not have to depend explicitly on all of the old coordinates, i.e., some of the terms in the above expansion can be zero.

So I can just give the answer to the problem as whatta did above?

no you probably are supposed to solve that in the form of x(X), y(Y)... t(T) or viceversa

[tex]t(T)=T+\frac{\epsilon}{c}\arctan{cT}[/tex]
[tex]x(X)=\epsilon\arctan{X}[/tex]
[tex]y(Y)=\epsilon\arctan{Y}[/tex]
[tex]z(Z)=\epsilon\arctan{Z}[/tex]

so that

[tex]dt = \left(1+\frac{\epsilon}{1+c^2T^2}\right)dT[/tex]
[tex]dx = \left(\frac{\epsilon}{1+X^2}\right)dX[/tex]
[tex]dy = \left(\frac{\epsilon}{1+Y^2}\right)dY[/tex]
[tex]dz = \left(\frac{\epsilon}{1+Z^2}\right)dZ[/tex]

and then

[tex]ds^2=c^2dt^2-dx^2-dy^2-dz^2 = \left(1+\frac{\epsilon}{1+c^2T^2}\right)^2c^2dT^2 - \left(\frac{\epsilon}{1+X^2}\right)^2dX^2 - \left(\frac{\epsilon}{1+Y^2}\right)^2dY^2 - \left(\frac{\epsilon}{1+Z^2}\right)^2dZ^2[/tex].

Is this correct?

except that you have lost -1 somewhere

I don't feel that positive..?

1. What is coordinate transformation?

Coordinate transformation is the process of converting coordinates from one coordinate system to another. This is commonly done in mathematical and scientific fields to make it easier to analyze and compare data from different coordinate systems.

2. Why is coordinate transformation important?

Coordinate transformation is important because it allows for the comparison and analysis of data from different coordinate systems. It also allows for easier communication and collaboration between different fields that use different coordinate systems.

3. What are the different types of coordinate transformation?

The most common types of coordinate transformation are translation, rotation, scaling, and shearing. Translation involves shifting the coordinates in a specific direction. Rotation involves rotating the coordinates around a point. Scaling involves changing the size of the coordinates. Shearing involves changing the shape of the coordinates.

4. How is coordinate transformation used in real-life applications?

Coordinate transformation is used in various real-life applications, such as cartography, geography, navigation, astronomy, and computer graphics. It is also used in engineering and physics to analyze and solve problems.

5. What are some challenges of coordinate transformation?

Some challenges of coordinate transformation include choosing the most appropriate coordinate system for a specific application, ensuring accuracy and precision in the transformation process, and dealing with distortions or discrepancies that may occur in the transformation.