Problem with natural units in Cosmology

In summary: If you use \hbar instead of "h" in your equation, it works out (the result is (2 \pi)^3 times larger).If you use \hbar instead of "h" in your equation, it works out (the result is (2 pi)^3 times larger).
Magister

Homework Statement

Reading about the raditation dominated era I saw that the radiation energy density today was given by:

[tex]
\rho_r = \frac{\pi^2}{30} g_* T^4 = 8.09 * 10^{-34} g/cm^3
[/tex]

where [itex]g_*=3.36[/itex] is the degree of freedom of the radiation (equivalent) and [itex]T=2.75 K[/itex] is the CBR temperature today.

The problem is that they don't give me the exact expression and so this relation seems to be dimensionally wrong. I suppose that the full relation must be

[tex]
\rho_r = \frac{\pi^2}{30} g_* \frac{(kT)^4}{(hc)^3}
[/tex]

and this way the relation would be dimensionally correct. But when I put the values on it I get

[tex]
\rho_r = 2.88 * 10^{-22} J/cm^3 = 3.20 * 10^{-36} g/cm^3
[/tex]

and this is by far wrong. I have spend so much time around this that I am starting to get frustrated!
Thanks in advance

Physics news on Phys.org
Magister said:

Homework Statement

Reading about the raditation dominated era I saw that the radiation energy density today was given by:

[tex]
\rho_r = \frac{\pi^2}{30} g_* T^4 = 8.09 * 10^{-34} g/cm^3
[/tex]

where [itex]g_*=3.36[/itex] is the degree of freedom of the radiation (equivalent) and [itex]T=2.75 K[/itex] is the CBR temperature today.

The problem is that they don't give me the exact expression and so this relation seems to be dimensionally wrong. I suppose that the full relation must be

[tex]
\rho_r = \frac{\pi^2}{30} g_* \frac{(kT)^4}{(hc)^3}
[/tex]

and this way the relation would be dimensionally correct. But when I put the values on it I get

[tex]
\rho_r = 2.88 * 10^{-22} J/cm^3 = 3.20 * 10^{-36} g/cm^3
[/tex]

and this is by far wrong. I have spend so much time around this that I am starting to get frustrated!
Thanks in advance
If you use [itex] \hbar [/itex] instead of "h" in your equation, it works out (the result is [itex] (2 \pi)^3 [/itex] times larger).

Patrick

Humm! You mean:
[tex]
\rho_r = \frac{\pi^2}{30} g_* \frac{(kT)^4}{(\hbar c)^3} (2\pi)^3
[/tex]

Yes, in fact it works out but does this make any sense? Is this because that in natural units is the [itex]\hbar[/itex] that is equal to 1 instead of [itex]h[/itex]?

Thanks a lot by the way!

Magister said:
Humm! You mean:
[tex]
\rho_r = \frac{\pi^2}{30} g_* \frac{(kT)^4}{(\hbar c)^3} (2\pi)^3
[/tex]

Yes, in fact it works out but does this make any sense? Is this because that in natural units is the [itex]\hbar[/itex] that is equal to 1 instead of [itex]h[/itex]?

Thanks a lot by the way!
EDIT : No, this is not what I mean You don't have to put in the extra factor of (2 pi)^3. I mean
[tex]
\rho_r = \frac{\pi^2}{30} g_* \frac{(kT)^4}{(\hbar c)^3}
[/tex]
This result will be (2 pi)^3 times larger than the equation written with only h.

That's what I mean, yes. Usually, by "natural units", people mean that they set [itex] \hbar [/itex] equal to 1, not "h". Of course, one could also decide to set h to one instead, but this is not what is usually done.

You are very welcome.

Patrick

Last edited:

What are natural units in Cosmology?

Natural units in Cosmology are a system of measurement that use fundamental physical constants to define units of measurement. These units are used to remove any dependence on arbitrary human-defined units and instead rely on the properties of the natural world.

What is the problem with using natural units in Cosmology?

The problem with using natural units in Cosmology is that it can make it difficult to communicate and compare results with other scientific fields that use different units. It also makes it difficult to understand the magnitude of physical quantities without converting them to more familiar units.

How do natural units affect our understanding of the universe?

Natural units can provide a deeper understanding of the fundamental properties of the universe, as they are based on fundamental physical constants. However, it can also limit our ability to compare and communicate our findings with other scientific fields.

Is there a solution to the problem with natural units in Cosmology?

One solution is to use conversion factors to relate natural units to more familiar units, such as meters or kilograms. Another approach is to use a hybrid system, where natural units are used for theoretical calculations and more familiar units are used for practical applications and comparisons.

What are some examples of natural units used in Cosmology?

Some examples of natural units used in Cosmology include the Planck units, which are based on the Planck constant and the gravitational constant, and the Hubble units, which are based on the Hubble constant and the speed of light.