Help With Infinite Exponential Limit

In summary: How did you get +1?you can do an algebraic trick to get that \frac{3^{x}-3^{-x}}{3^{x}+3^{-x}}=\frac{3^{2x}-1}{3^{2x}+1} and then the limit is trivial.I'm not sure how you got from the left hand side to the middle of your solution. Could you explain your steps further?remember that when you take the limit of an exponential when the variable tends to -\infty you get that this limit is 0. And remember that 3^{2x}=e^{2x\ln{3}}Does 1/3^{2x} ---> 0
alba_ei

Homework Statement

[tex]
\lim_{x \to - \infty} \frac{3^x-3^{-x}}{3^x+3^{-x}}
[/tex]

Homework Equations

[tex]
\lim_{x \to - \infty} \frac{3^x-3^{-x}}{3^x+3^{-x}} = - 1
[/tex]

The Attempt at a Solution

Im getting trouble when I try to evaluate this limit, altough the answer is -1 idont know how to get to it.

[tex]
[/tex]

[tex]
= \lim_{x \to - \infty} \frac{3^{-x}(3^{2x}-1)}{3^{-x}(3^{2x}+1)}
[/tex]

[tex]
= \lim_{x \to - \infty} \frac{3^{2x}-1}{3^{2x}+1}
[/tex]

[tex]
= \lim_{x \to - \infty} \frac{1-\frac{1}{3^{2x}}}{1+\frac{1}{3^{2x}}}
[/tex]

[tex]
= \lim_{x \to - \infty} \frac{1}{1} = 1
[/tex]
I got 1, not -1

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
How did you get +1?

you can do an algebraic trick to get that [itex]\frac{3^{x}-3^{-x}}{3^{x}+3^{-x}}=\frac{3^{2x}-1}{3^{2x}+1}[/itex] and then the limit is trivial.

I'm not sure how you got from the left hand side to the middle of your solution. Could you explain your steps further?

remember that when you take the limit of an exponential when the variable tends to [itex]-\infty[/itex] you get that this limit is 0. And remember that [itex]3^{2x}=e^{2x\ln{3}}[/itex]

Last edited:
Does 1/3^{2x} ---> 0 as x ---> -Infinity?

I think I messed up my reply by not quoting anyone, and now you've edited and put in more of your solution! Anyway...

alba_ei said:

Homework Statement

[tex]
[/tex]

Homework Equations

[tex]
\lim_{x \to - \infty} \frac{3^x-3^{-x}}{3^x+3^{-x}} = - 1
[/tex]

The Attempt at a Solution

Im getting trouble when I try to evaluate this limit, altough the answer is -1 idont know how to get to it.

[tex]
[/tex]

[tex]
= \lim_{x \to - \infty} \frac{3^{-x}(3^{2x}-1)}{3^{-x}(3^{2x}+1)}
[/tex]

[tex]
= \lim_{x \to - \infty} \frac{3^{2x}-1}{3^{2x}+1}
[/tex]

[tex]
= \lim_{x \to - \infty} \frac{1-\frac{1}{3^{2x}}}{1+\frac{1}{3^{2x}}}
[/tex]
There is no need to do this step. You should note that, since we are taking the limit x tends to negative infty, 3^2x tends to zero.
[tex]
= \lim_{x \to - \infty} \frac{1}{1} = 1
[/tex]
I got 1, not -1

1. What is an infinite exponential limit?

An infinite exponential limit is a mathematical concept that describes the behavior of a function as its input approaches infinity. It is typically represented as "lim x→∞ f(x)", which means the limit of the function f(x) as x gets closer and closer to infinity.

2. How do I solve an infinite exponential limit?

Solving an infinite exponential limit involves taking the limit of the function and evaluating it. This can be done by simplifying the function, factoring, or using other mathematical techniques. If the limit is indeterminate, such as "∞/∞" or "0/0", then additional steps may be needed to evaluate the limit.

3. What is L'Hôpital's rule and how does it apply to infinite exponential limits?

L'Hôpital's rule is a mathematical theorem that states that for certain types of indeterminate limits, the limit of the quotient of two functions is equal to the limit of the quotient of the derivatives of those functions. This rule can be applied to infinite exponential limits when the limit is in the form of "∞/∞" or "0/0".

4. Can an infinite exponential limit have multiple solutions?

Yes, an infinite exponential limit can have multiple solutions. This can happen when the function has different behaviors as x approaches infinity, such as approaching different values or oscillating between values. In these cases, the limit would be undefined or would have multiple possible values.

5. How can I use graphs to understand infinite exponential limits?

Graphs can be a helpful tool in understanding infinite exponential limits. By plotting the function and its limit as x approaches infinity, you can visualize the behavior of the function and see if it approaches a specific value, increases or decreases without bound, or oscillates. This can provide insight into the limit and help with solving it.