Is this possible or am I dumb - Solving for u

• Thread starter Skatch
  • Start date
In summary, solving for u is a problem that can be solved by anyone, not just scientists. It requires some math knowledge and problem-solving skills, but it is not limited to a specific group. While some problems may be more difficult than others, most can be solved with patience and persistence. To check if you're on the right track, double-check your work and compare it to examples. Common mistakes when solving for u include not following the order of operations, making calculation errors, and not checking your work. It's essential to be careful and use the appropriate method or formula for the problem at hand.
Skatch
I've got something like
[tex] u + LuL^T = v [/tex]
and I want to write it like
[tex] u = B_1 v B_2 [/tex]
for some B_1 and B_2. Assume L is nice and invertible.

Is this impossible or am I just not seeing it? This is making me feel dumb. Too much programming and its getting late.

Physics news on Phys.org
I assume all the letters you wrote are n x n matrices...

Try multiplicating the first u on the left by LL^-1 and on the right by (LL^-1)^T, then collect terms...

FAQ: Is this possible or am I dumb - Solving for u

1. Can anyone solve for u or is it only for scientists?

Solving for u is a problem that can be solved by anyone, not just scientists. It may require some knowledge of math and problem-solving skills, but it is not limited to a specific group of people.

2. Is this possible to solve or is it too difficult?

While some problems may be more difficult to solve than others, most problems can be solved with the right approach and tools. It is important to have patience and persistence when solving for u or any other problem.

3. How do I know if I am on the right track when solving for u?

One way to check if you are on the right track when solving for u is to double-check your work and see if it makes sense. You can also compare your solution to examples or solutions provided by others to see if they are similar.

4. What are some common mistakes to avoid when solving for u?

Some common mistakes to avoid when solving for u include forgetting to follow the order of operations, making calculation errors, and not checking your work. It is important to be careful and double-check your work to avoid these mistakes.

5. Is there a specific method or formula to use when solving for u?

There are various methods and formulas that can be used when solving for u, depending on the problem at hand. It is important to understand the problem and choose the most appropriate method or formula to solve it.