Proving Commutator Identity for Baker-Campbell-Hausdorff Formula

In summary, the identity used to derive the Baker-Campbell-Hausdorff Formula can be proven if the assumptions that [S,T] commute and that [S,T] is a linear operator are met. The first condition can be easily verified if n is set to 2, and the second condition follows from induction.
Wledig
I'm having a little trouble proving the following identity that is used in the derivation of the Baker-Campbell-Hausdorff Formula: $$[e^{tT},S] = -t[S,T]e^{tT}$$ It is assumed that [S,T] commutes with S and T, these being linear operators. I tried opening both sides and comparing terms to no avail, I feel like I'm missing something really dumb here. Can someone give me a hand?

Physics news on Phys.org
##\left(\exp(\operatorname{ad}(tT))- 1\right)(S)= \operatorname{ad}(tT)(S)## which is true, if ##\left( \operatorname{ad}(T) \right)^n(S)=0\, , \, n>1\,.##
This follows from ##[[S,T],X]=0\, , \,X\in \{\,S,T\,\}##. Hence we have
$$
\left(\exp(\operatorname{ad}(tT))- 1\right)(S)=\operatorname{Ad}(\exp(tT))(S) -S = \exp(tT)S\exp(-tT) - S = \operatorname{ad}(tT)(S) = tTS-tST
$$
and thus
$$
\exp(tT)S -S \exp(tT) = [\exp(tT),S] =[e^{tT},S] = [tT,S]\exp(tT)=-t[S,T]\exp(tT) = -t[S,T]e^{tT}
$$

Last edited:
Likes Wledig
Sorry, I'm not that comfortable with the adjoint representation yet. Let me start by seeing if I understand the first condition, if we set n=2 for instance:
$$\left( \operatorname{ad}(T) \right)^2(S) = \operatorname{ad}(T)(\operatorname{ad}(T)(S) ) = \operatorname{ad}(T)([T,S]) = [T, [T,S]] = 0$$ It's zero by the assumption, and I'm guessing the more general condition follows from induction? I don't see how to use it to prove the identity though, in particular I don't get this step: $$ \exp(tT)S\exp(-tT) - S = \operatorname{ad}(tT)(S) $$ Could you clarify things a bit? Thanks in advance.

Wledig said:
Sorry, I'm not that comfortable with the adjoint representation yet. Let me start by seeing if I understand the first condition, if we set n=2 for instance:
$$\left( \operatorname{ad}(T) \right)^2(S) = \operatorname{ad}(T)(\operatorname{ad}(T)(S) ) = \operatorname{ad}(T)([T,S]) = [T, [T,S]] = 0$$ It's zero by the assumption, and I'm guessing the more general condition follows from induction?
In this case we don't need induction, it is clear right away. ##(\operatorname{ad}T)^n(S)=\underbrace{[T,[T,[\ldots,[T}_{n\text{ times }},S]\ldots ]=0## since already the most inner expression ##[T,[T,S]]=0## and applying more linear transformations cannot change this. We only need at least two applications, i.e. ##n\geq 2\,.##
I don't see how to use it to prove the identity though, in particular I don't get this step: $$ \exp(tT)S\exp(-tT) - S = \operatorname{ad}(tT)(S) $$ Could you clarify things a bit? Thanks in advance.
Prior to BCH it is usually proven, that ##\operatorname{Ad}\circ \exp = \exp\circ \operatorname{ad}##, i.e. ##((\operatorname{Ad}\circ \exp)(tT))(S) = ((\exp\circ \operatorname{ad})(tT))(S)\,.## The exponential function plays the role of integration in the sense, that it maps tangent vectors ##tT \in \mathfrak{g}## of the Lie algebra into the Lie group ##g:=\exp(tT)=e^{tT} \in G##. Moreover the adjoint representation ##\operatorname{Ad}## of the Lie group on its Lie algebra acts by conjugation, as it comes from the inner automorphisms of the group. This means ##(\operatorname{Ad}(g))(S)=gSg^{-1}\,.## Hence

\begin{align*}
\exp(tT) S \exp(-tT)&= gSg^{-1}\\ &=(\operatorname{Ad}(g))(S)\\ &=(\operatorname{Ad}(e^{tT}))(S)\\ &= ((\exp\circ \operatorname{ad})(tT))(S)\\
&= \exp(\operatorname{ad}(tT))(S)\\
&= \left( \sum_{n=0}^\infty \dfrac{1}{n!}(\operatorname{ad}(tT))^n \right)(S)\\
&= \sum_{n=0}^\infty \dfrac{1}{n!}\left( (\operatorname{ad}(tT))^n (S) \right)\\
&= 1(S) + (\operatorname{ad}(tT))(S) + \sum_{n=2}^\infty \dfrac{1}{n!}\underbrace{\left( (\operatorname{ad}(tT))^n (S) \right)}_{= 0}\\
&= S + (\operatorname{ad}(tT))(S)\\
&= S + [tT,S]
\end{align*}

If you want to read it a bit more detailed, however, still rough due to format, you might want to have a look on:
https://www.physicsforums.com/insights/lie-algebras-a-walkthrough-the-representations/

Likes Wledig
I've read your series of articles, really well written I must say. It amazes me how vast this area is, I thought I knew enough Lie theory after reading Tapp, Stillwell and a few mathematical physics books here and there, but your articles are full of theorems and formalism I never heard of. That being said, you didn't need to go into such detail in your reply, it just didn't occur to me to do an expansion right there. Silly me, thanks a bunch for your help!

1. What is the Baker-Campbell-Hausdorff formula?

The Baker-Campbell-Hausdorff formula is a mathematical formula used to calculate the commutator of two operators in a Lie algebra. It is often used in quantum mechanics and other areas of physics to simplify complex calculations.

2. Why is it important to prove the commutator identity for the Baker-Campbell-Hausdorff formula?

Proving the commutator identity for the Baker-Campbell-Hausdorff formula is important because it ensures the accuracy and validity of the formula. Without a proof, the formula cannot be relied upon for accurate calculations.

3. How is the commutator identity for the Baker-Campbell-Hausdorff formula derived?

The commutator identity for the Baker-Campbell-Hausdorff formula is derived using mathematical techniques such as Lie series expansions and Jacobi identities. It is a complex proof that requires a deep understanding of advanced mathematics.

4. What are some applications of the Baker-Campbell-Hausdorff formula?

The Baker-Campbell-Hausdorff formula has many applications in physics, particularly in quantum mechanics. It is used to simplify calculations involving the time evolution of quantum systems and in the study of symmetries in physical systems.

5. Are there any limitations to the Baker-Campbell-Hausdorff formula?

While the Baker-Campbell-Hausdorff formula is a powerful tool in mathematics and physics, it does have some limitations. It is only applicable to certain types of Lie algebras and may not work for all types of operators. Additionally, the formula can become more complex and difficult to use when applied to higher order commutators.