Percent of initial total mechanical energy lost during a round trip?

In summary, the mass starts with an initial kinetic energy of 4000 J and ends with a final kinetic energy of 6250 J. This results in a loss of 64% of the initial total mechanical energy during the round trip.
bmx_Freestyle
Given:
Mass= 5 kg
Vo= 40 m/s
Vf=50 m/s
s=150 m
Ho=0
Hf=50.2 m
g=9.8 m/s/s
friction=6.26 N
θ=30°

*You will probably not use all of these values*
What percent of initial total mechanical energy is lost during the round trip? (a block (with mass m) going up an inclined plane, and then back down)

i have no clue what to do...i think in end youll multiply something by 100% to get a percent? i honestly don't know

Physics news on Phys.org
bmx_Freestyle said:
Given:
Mass= 5 kg
Vo= 40 m/s
Vf=50 m/s

s=150 m
Ho=0
Hf=50.2 m

g=9.8 m/s/s
friction=6.26 N
θ=30°

*You will probably not use all of these values*
What percent of initial total mechanical energy is lost during the round trip? (a block (with mass m) going up an inclined plane, and then back down)

i have no clue what to do...i think in end youll multiply something by 100% to get a percent? i honestly don't know

Not too sure where these apply. [variables I highlighted red]

subscript o usually means initial, but is less than subscript f - the final.

not sure what the H values refer to?

The round trip is what?

PeterO said:
Not too sure where these apply. [variables I highlighted red]

subscript o usually means initial, but is less than subscript f - the final.

not sure what the H values refer to?

The round trip is what?

H refers to height
i drew a right triangle and the vertical leg represents height
the bottom is Ho and the top of the vertical leg is Hf

the round trip is when the mass moves up the inclined plane and comes back down

Vo (40 m/s) is the speed the mass begins with when moving up the plane. when it stops the vf is o.
then when the mass comes back down vo=o and the vf is 50 (when the mass reaches the bottom)

bmx_Freestyle said:
H refers to height
i drew a right triangle and the vertical leg represents height
the bottom is Ho and the top of the vertical leg is Hf

the round trip is when the mass moves up the inclined plane and comes back down

I just came across your earlier post.

As the mass moves up the slope, the initial kinetic energy will transform into some potential energy with some mechanical energy lost overcoming friction.
The 30o slope means that for every metre you rise, you travel 2m along the slope.

I would be solving this as linear motion. Resolve the weight force into a component parallel to the slope - that will slow it down - and perpendicular to the slope - which will enable you to calculate the friction - an additional force slowing it down.

for example:
Suppose the parallel component was 20N, and the friction force was 5N [neither of those figures is correct, it is just for example]

On the way up the slope, that would mean a total retarding force of 25N. [20 + 5]
Given a mass of 5 kg, the acceleration would be 5 ms-2.

You can use motion equations to find where the mass stops.

On the way back down, friction will be acting up the slope [opposing motion] so the net force is 15N [20 - 5]

SO the acceleration is only 3 ms-2.

You can use motion equations to find the final speed.

by calculating KE at the start, and the kinetic energy at the end you can calculate the loss, and express it as a percentage.

All you have to do now is calculate the actual figures.

bmx_Freestyle said:
Vo (40 m/s) is the speed the mass begins with when moving up the plane. when it stops the vf is o.
then when the mass comes back down vo=o and the vf is 50 (when the mass reaches the bottom)

You can be certain that the mass will NOT get to the bottom at a speed faster than it left!

Srry, but do u mean potential energy transforming into kinetic energy?

ok i calculated initial KE and final KE
KEo=1/2mvo^2
KEf=1/2mvf^2

KEo=1/2(5)(40^2)=4000
KEF=1/2(5)(50^2)=6250
then i did 4000/6250 and got 0.64 and then i multiplied tht by 100% to get 64%

1. What is the definition of percent of initial total mechanical energy lost during a round trip?

Percent of initial total mechanical energy lost during a round trip is a measure of the amount of mechanical energy that is lost during a complete round trip. This includes the energy lost due to friction, air resistance, and other factors. It is expressed as a percentage of the initial total mechanical energy.

2. How is percent of initial total mechanical energy lost during a round trip calculated?

The calculation for percent of initial total mechanical energy lost during a round trip is: (Total initial mechanical energy – Total final mechanical energy) / Total initial mechanical energy * 100%. This will give the percentage of energy lost during the round trip.

3. Why is it important to calculate percent of initial total mechanical energy lost during a round trip?

Calculating the percent of initial total mechanical energy lost during a round trip is important because it allows us to understand the efficiency of a system. A higher percentage of energy lost means that the system is less efficient, and this information can be used to make improvements or optimizations.

4. What factors can contribute to the loss of mechanical energy during a round trip?

The loss of mechanical energy during a round trip can be caused by several factors, including friction, air resistance, and mechanical limitations of the system. Other factors such as temperature, material properties, and external forces can also play a role in the energy loss.

5. Can the percent of initial total mechanical energy lost during a round trip be reduced?

Yes, the percent of initial total mechanical energy lost during a round trip can be reduced by making improvements or optimizations to the system. This can include reducing friction, streamlining the design of the system, or using more efficient materials. However, it is impossible to completely eliminate energy loss due to the laws of thermodynamics.