[Momentum and Energy] How much of initial velocity is lost?

In summary, when applying conservation of energy and momentum to the initial and final states, we can determine that 66.7% of the original energy is lost after the two collisions. This is a more accurate and simpler approach than calculating the energy after each collision individually.
Notaphysicsmajor

Homework Statement

A 10kg block moving at 1 m/s hits another 10kg stationary block. Those two blocks (now stuck together) collide with another 10kg stationary block. What percent of the original energy is lost after the two collisions?

Homework Equations

m1v1 + m2v2 = (m1+m2)v3
Kinetic energy = .5(m)(v)^2

The Attempt at a Solution

Hello,

I'm not sure if I understand this problem correct so I hope someone here can help me, but here is how I solved it.

First collision:

(10)(1) + (10)(0) = (20)v
Velocity = .5 m/s

Second collision:

(20)(.5) + (10)(0) = (30)v
Velocity = .3

Initial energy (before any collision):

.5(10)(1)^2 = 5 J

Energy after first collision:

.5(20)(.5)^2 = 2.5 J

Energy after second collision:

.5(30)(.3)^2 = 1.6 J

1.6 J is amount of kinetic energy after both collisions, but problem asks what percent of the original energy was lost after first two collisions.

So 5 - 1.6 = 3.4 J energy lost after first two collisions.

3.4 / 5 = .68 or 68%. 68% of original energy was lost after first two collisions.

Is this correct?

Physics news on Phys.org
Looks right to me, but I think I might have carried it out to one more decimal point. e.g. final velocity = 0.33 m/s

Likes Notaphysicsmajor
Notaphysicsmajor said:

Homework Statement

A 10kg block moving at 1 m/s hits another 10kg stationary block. Those two blocks (now stuck together) collide with another 10kg stationary block. What percent of the original energy is lost after the two collisions?

Homework Equations

m1v1 + m2v2 = (m1+m2)v3
Kinetic energy = .5(m)(v)^2

The Attempt at a Solution

Hello,

I'm not sure if I understand this problem correct so I hope someone here can help me, but here is how I solved it.

First collision:

(10)(1) + (10)(0) = (20)v
Velocity = .5 m/s

Second collision:

(20)(.5) + (10)(0) = (30)v
Velocity = .3

Initial energy (before any collision):

.5(10)(1)^2 = 5 J

Energy after first collision:

.5(20)(.5)^2 = 2.5 J

Energy after second collision:

.5(30)(.3)^2 = 1.6 J

1.6 J is amount of kinetic energy after both collisions, but problem asks what percent of the original energy was lost after first two collisions.

So 5 - 1.6 = 3.4 J energy lost after first two collisions.

3.4 / 5 = .68 or 68%. 68% of original energy was lost after first two collisions.

Is this correct?

First, you need to be careful making numerical approximations. Sometimes you can use vulgar fractions to get an exact figure to work with. In this case: ##\frac53 J## is an exact number and is much better than ##1.6 J##.

You can see that 68% is not quite right, because it ought to be ##\frac23 \approx 66.7\%##

Second, what happens if you apply conservation of energy and momentum to the initial and final states and don't worry about calculating anything for the first collision?

1. What is the concept of momentum and energy?

Momentum and energy are two fundamental concepts in physics. Momentum is the measure of an object's tendency to continue moving in the same direction at the same speed. Energy, on the other hand, is the ability to do work or cause change.

2. How is momentum and energy related to initial velocity?

Initial velocity is the starting speed at which an object begins to move. The amount of initial velocity determines the amount of momentum and energy an object possesses. The higher the initial velocity, the greater the momentum and energy.

3. Why is it important to understand the loss of initial velocity?

Understanding the loss of initial velocity is crucial in analyzing the motion of objects. This loss can occur due to various factors such as friction, air resistance, and collisions. Knowing the amount of initial velocity lost helps in predicting the future motion of the object.

4. How is the loss of initial velocity calculated?

The loss of initial velocity is calculated by subtracting the final velocity of an object from its initial velocity. This is known as the change in velocity. The negative sign indicates that the initial velocity has decreased.

5. Can the loss of initial velocity be regained?

In most cases, the loss of initial velocity cannot be regained due to the principle of conservation of energy. This states that energy cannot be created or destroyed, only transferred from one form to another. However, in certain scenarios, such as a bouncing ball, some of the initial velocity can be regained due to the elastic properties of the object.