Finding the total mechanical energy

In summary, at point A the bead has a kinetic energy of 200 m/s and a gravitational potential energy of 0.
Sophie Martinez

Homework Statement

A bead is sliding on a surface. At point A it is 80 cm above the ground, at point B it has just hit the ground and at point C it is 50 cm above the ground. At point A it has a speed of 200 m/s, so what will its speed be at point B and C?

Homework Equations

W=F.d
Kinetic Energy= (mv^2)/2
Gravitational potential energy= mass • 9.8 • height

The Attempt at a Solution

I tried to find the the total mechanical energy at one point by adding the GPE and KE. At point B the GPE is 0, so the kinetic energy will be the total mechanical energy due to the conservation of energy. The mass is not given in this question and without the mass I cannot figure it out. I tried equating the work and energy equatipns but o got the wrong answer.

Physics news on Phys.org
Sophie Martinez said:
The mass is not given in this question and without the mass I cannot figure it out. I tried equating the work and energy equatipns but o got the wrong answer.
If you write the equation for conservation of energy, you'd see that the mass term is canceled out.
At point A, the bead has both KE and PE and at point B, it has only KE. How would you write an equation describing this using the principle of conservation of energy?

Hello Sophie, :welcome:

Sophie Martinez said:
I tried equating the work and energy equations
Way to go. Why don't you post your working and we'll try to see what goes wrong.

Tip: in don't know situations just pick something (2 kg for example) and see if it divides out.

cnh1995 said:
If you write the equation for conservation of energy, you'd see that the mass term is canceled out.
At point A, the bead has both KE and PE and at point B, it has only KE. How would you write an equation describing this using the principle of conservation of energy?
I think the equation would only be TME=(mv^2)/2 but because the mass is canceled it would be (v^2)/2?

Sophie Martinez said:
I think the equation would only be TME=(mv^2)/2 but because the mass is canceled it would be (v^2)/2?
Yes, but energy is not v2/2.
You need to write the complete equation.
Cancelling out the mass will only leave one unknown v in the equation.

BvU said:
Hello Sophie, :welcome:

Way to go. Why don't you post your working and we'll try to see what goes wrong.

Tip: in don't know situations just pick something (2 kg for example) and see if it divides out.
I ended up with F•d=mgh and F•d=(mv^2)/2 because of the work-energy principle. I also tried to isolate m in each case and equated the two results and got (F•d)/gh=2(F•d)/v^2

cnh1995 said:
Yes, but energy is not v2/2.
You need to write the complete equation.
Cancelling out the mass will only leave one unknown v in the equation.
So the complete one would be TME= v^2/2 + gh?

Sophie Martinez said:
Nope. Again, that's not an equation for energy because there's no mass term in it.
You need to use the "conservation" of energy equation.
cnh1995 said:

Sophie Martinez said:
If you say instead "TME per unit mass" that will work.

What is total mechanical energy?

Total mechanical energy is the sum of both kinetic energy and potential energy of a system. Kinetic energy is the energy an object has due to its motion, while potential energy is the energy an object has due to its position or state.

How is total mechanical energy calculated?

Total mechanical energy is calculated by adding the kinetic energy and potential energy of a system. This can be represented by the equation: Total Mechanical Energy = Kinetic Energy + Potential Energy.

What is the law of conservation of energy?

The law of conservation of energy states that energy cannot be created or destroyed, but it can change forms. In other words, the total energy of a closed system remains constant over time.

Why is finding total mechanical energy important?

Finding total mechanical energy is important because it allows us to understand and predict the behavior of a system. It also helps us to identify the various forms of energy present in a system and how they may change over time.

What are some examples of total mechanical energy?

Some examples of total mechanical energy include a rollercoaster at the top of a hill (potential energy) and a car moving down a hill (kinetic energy). Other examples include a pendulum at its highest point (potential energy) and a swinging pendulum (alternating between kinetic and potential energy).