How to connect thermistor without a PIC

• Thread starter tuncS
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Thermistor
In summary, the speaker is a beginner in electrical system design and is seeking help on controlling the speed of a 6V DC motor without using a PIC. They have considered using a NTC thermistor to regulate the speed based on temperature, but have not been able to find a suitable method of connecting it to the system. They are now looking into PWM circuits as a potential solution and are seeking further guidance.
tuncS
Hey hello,
I am new in electrical system design. I almost know nothing. I need your help. And I have to control a DC motor's speed. My DC motor is 6V and I am not going to use a PIC. Is it possible or not I thought it was possible but as I said I know nothing.
I thought of buying a NTC thermistor and connecting it into the system so if tempreture is high, resistance is going to be lower than it was. And my DC motor will gain more speed.
But I searched almost all the internet I couldn't find a proper answer about connecting it into the ststem. I tryed to connect it serially with my DC motor but it doesn't really work. I saw some parallel connected system designs they got a resistor and a thermistor parallel connected.

If you can help me I would be soo happy :) Thanks.

Engineering news on Phys.org
tuncS said:
Hey hello,
I am new in electrical system design. I almost know nothing. I need your help. And I have to control a DC motor's speed. My DC motor is 6V and I am not going to use a PIC. Is it possible or not I thought it was possible but as I said I know nothing.
I thought of buying a NTC thermistor and connecting it into the system so if tempreture is high, resistance is going to be lower than it was. And my DC motor will gain more speed.
But I searched almost all the internet I couldn't find a proper answer about connecting it into the ststem. I tryed to connect it serially with my DC motor but it doesn't really work. I saw some parallel connected system designs they got a resistor and a thermistor parallel connected.

If you can help me I would be soo happy :) Thanks.

Welcome to the PF.

I'm not following what you want to do with the thermistor. But to control DC motor speed, it is usually done with a pulse width modulation (PWM) circuit. If the DC is 6V all the time, the motor is at maximum speed. If you feed it a 50% duty cycle square wave 6V on, 0V off, at some reasonable frequency, the motor will run at less than full speed.

If you do a Google search on PWM speed control circuits for DC motors, you should get some good ideas...

1. How do I connect a thermistor without using a PIC microcontroller?

The simplest way to connect a thermistor without a PIC is to use a basic voltage divider circuit. This involves connecting the thermistor in series with a resistor and then measuring the voltage across the thermistor. The resistance of the thermistor will change with temperature, which will cause the voltage to vary. This voltage can then be measured and converted to a temperature reading using a simple formula.

2. What components do I need to connect a thermistor without a PIC?

To connect a thermistor without a PIC, you will need a thermistor, a resistor, a power supply, and a voltmeter. The resistor should have a value that is significantly lower than the thermistor's resistance at room temperature, but high enough to limit the current through the circuit.

3. Can I use an Arduino instead of a PIC to connect a thermistor?

Yes, an Arduino can be used as an alternative to a PIC microcontroller for connecting a thermistor. The Arduino has built-in analog-to-digital converters that can measure the voltage across the thermistor and convert it to a temperature reading. However, you will still need to use a voltage divider circuit and write the necessary code to read the temperature.

4. How do I calibrate the thermistor without a PIC?

To calibrate a thermistor without a PIC, you can use a known temperature source, such as an ice bath or boiling water, and measure the voltage output of the thermistor at these temperatures. You can then use these values to create a calibration curve or equation that relates the voltage to temperature. This calibration should be periodically checked and adjusted as needed.

5. Can I use a thermocouple instead of a thermistor to measure temperature without a PIC?

Yes, a thermocouple can also be used to measure temperature without a PIC. However, unlike a thermistor, a thermocouple requires a temperature-to-voltage converter, such as an amplifier or a thermocouple-to-digital converter. These components can be more complex and expensive than those needed for a thermistor circuit, but they can provide more accurate temperature measurements over a wider range of temperatures.