How Does the 3rd Neutron Form in a Nuclear Fusion Reaction?

In summary, deuterium consists of 1 proton and 1 neutron, while tritium consists of 2 protons and 1 neutron. When one atom of each is smashed together, it forms an atom of Helium with 2 protons and 2 neutrons. This results in the release of a third neutron. This occurs through an aneutronic fusion reaction between deuterium and Helium-3, where the resulting nucleus has a nucleon balance of (2 protons, 2 neutrons) and an additional free neutron. This process does not result in a gain or loss of neutrons, but rather a redistribution of them in the new nucleus.
vincentm
Okay deuterium consists of 1 proton and 1 neutron and tritium consists of 2 protons and 1 neutron, now if one atom of each, smash together that forms an atom of Helium which consists of 2 proton and 2 neutrons, a 3rd neutron is created and released, how does the 3rd neutron come about?

Physics news on Phys.org
Tritium has 1 proton and 2 neutrons. (Both deuterium and tritium are isotopes of hydrogen.)

Supplementing what Doc Al mentioned, He3 consists of 2 protons and 1 neutron, and undergoes an aneutronic (i.e. no neutrons) fusion reaction with D.

d + He3 -> He4 + p

or

(1p, 1n) + (2p, 1n) -> (2p, 2n) + p

Nucleon balance equations, similar to elements (moles) balancing in a chemical equation.

Astronuc said:
Supplementing what Doc Al mentioned, He3 consists of 2 protons and 1 neutron, and undergoes an aneutronic (i.e. no neutrons) fusion reaction with D.
d + He3 -> He4 + p
or
(1p, 1n) + (2p, 1n) -> (2p, 2n) + p
Nucleon balance equations, similar to elements (moles) balancing in a chemical equation.
Thank you, also what i notice is that once the helium atom has formed i lose a proton, i guess that is where i gain a neutron? :confused:

vincentm said:
Thank you, also what i notice is that once the helium atom has formed i lose a proton, i guess that is where i gain a neutron?
When deuterium and tritium fuse, it goes like this:

(1p, 1n) + (1p, 2n) -> (2p, 2n) + n

So you don't "gain" a neutron.

Doc Al said:
When deuterium and tritium fuse, it goes like this:
(1p, 1n) + (1p, 2n) -> (2p, 2n) + n
So you don't "gain" a neutron.
I'm a bit confused now, Astronuc does:

(1p, 1n) + (1p, 2n) -> (2p, 2n) + p

:blushing:

Doc Al did (1p, 1n) + (1p, 2n) -> (2p, 2n) + n

I did (1p, 1n) + (2p, 1n) -> (2p, 2n) + p

You misread Astronuc. He had (2p,1n) (or He3) as the second term going in, not (1p,2n) (or H3 or Tritium nucleus).

mathman said:
You misread Astronuc. He had (2p,1n) (or He3) as the second term going in, not (1p,2n) (or H3 or Tritium nucleus).
I did, sorry about that astro, i just suck at math right now.

1. How does the 3rd neutron form in a nuclear fusion reaction?

The 3rd neutron in a nuclear fusion reaction is formed through a process called neutron capture. This occurs when a high-energy proton collides with a neutron, resulting in the formation of a new neutron.

2. What role does the 3rd neutron play in a nuclear fusion reaction?

The 3rd neutron is crucial in a nuclear fusion reaction as it helps to stabilize the reaction and maintain a sustained chain reaction. It also helps to release more energy and increase the efficiency of the reaction.

3. Can the 3rd neutron be formed in any type of nuclear fusion reaction?

Yes, the 3rd neutron can be formed in any type of nuclear fusion reaction as long as there is enough energy and the necessary elements present. However, the specific conditions and processes may vary depending on the type of fusion reaction.

4. What happens to the 3rd neutron after it is formed in a nuclear fusion reaction?

After the 3rd neutron is formed, it can either be captured by another nucleus to continue the chain reaction, or it can escape the reaction altogether. The fate of the 3rd neutron depends on various factors such as the energy released during the reaction and the type of elements involved.

5. Is the formation of the 3rd neutron the only way to sustain a nuclear fusion reaction?

No, the formation of the 3rd neutron is not the only way to sustain a nuclear fusion reaction. Other factors such as temperature, pressure, and the presence of other particles can also contribute to the sustainability of the reaction. However, the 3rd neutron is a crucial component in many fusion reactions and plays a significant role in their efficiency.