Describing the motion of a graph.

In summary, the conversation discusses how to calculate the average velocity of an object given a graph of its position over time. It is determined that the average velocity is negative and decreases as time increases. The motion is described as asymptotic to x=0 for large t and the direction of the object's movement depends on the chosen positive x direction. The average velocity is calculated to be between 0.63m/s and 0.83m/s.
koolkidx45
Hi i have a graph given in kinematics. I need to describe the motion and calculate the average velocity during the entire duration. I have attached a picture. How would i calculate the average velocity

No equations give

I said that the velocity is not constant. I don't know if the average velocity woul dbe negative?

Attachments

• Untitled.jpg
    Untitled.jpg
    12.4 KB · Views: 485
Physics news on Phys.org
How would you define average velocity?

[itex]\Delta v = \frac{\Delta x}{\Delta t}[/itex]

Something like that, yes?
Use that definition, what comes out?

Thanks for your reply. But would the average velocity be negative looking at the trend of the graph? And how would i describe this motion?

From your graph, it looks like x is 25 when t is about 2 and x is about 2 when t= 30. So what are [itex]\Delta x[/itex], [itex]\Delta t[/itex], and [itex]\Delta x/\Delta t[/itex]?

If you apply the definition of the average velocity you will see that it is negative since the change in position is definitely negative (it seems to start at some high x and ends up at x=0)
So yes, the average velocity of would be negative.

To describe the motion, we could look at the average velocity between different times and see how they relate.

Between t=10 and t=20 the position has gone from x=15 to x=5, so the average velocity during this time is given as'

[itex]\Delta v = \frac{\Delta x}{\Delta t} = \frac{-10}{10} = -1[/itex]

If we look at the average velocity at some later time, say t=20 and t=30 the position has gone from x=5 to perhaps x~2 and so

[itex]\Delta v = \frac{\Delta x}{\Delta t} = \frac{-3}{10} = -0.3[/itex]

So we can see that the average velocity is decreasing as time increases.
We can also see that the position is finally going to reach x=0 as t gets to be quite big.

We could describe this by saying that the position 'asymptotes' to x=0 for large t and that the velocity also 'asymptotes' to 0 for large t.

Do you understand my reasoning here?

Yes but what is the general description of this motion. Like is the object moving in an westward direction?

koolkidx45 said:
Yes but what is the general description of this motion. Like is the object moving in an westward direction?

That depends on what direction you want to set as the positive x direction.
If you set west as your positive x direction then you're moving westward, if you set north as your positive x direction then you're moving northward.
It is completely up to you which direction you set positive x to be facing

I would say that approximatey 25m was covered in approximately 30 to 40 secs.
So the only sensible answer for me is that the average velocity is between 25/30 and 25/40 m/s
ie 0.83m/s and 0.63m/s

1. What is the purpose of describing the motion of a graph?

The purpose of describing the motion of a graph is to understand and communicate how a quantity changes over time. By analyzing the shape and direction of a graph, we can determine the rate of change, maximum and minimum values, and other important characteristics of the motion being depicted.

2. What are the most common types of motion depicted in a graph?

The most common types of motion depicted in a graph are linear motion, where the quantity changes at a constant rate, and nonlinear motion, where the quantity changes at a varying rate. Other types of motion that can be shown on a graph include oscillatory motion, where the quantity repeats itself over time, and periodic motion, where the quantity follows a repeating pattern over time.

3. How do we determine the rate of change from a graph?

To determine the rate of change from a graph, we calculate the slope or gradient of the line connecting two points on the graph. This slope represents the change in the quantity over a specific interval of time. The steeper the slope, the greater the rate of change, and vice versa.

4. What does the shape of a graph tell us about the motion being depicted?

The shape of a graph can tell us a lot about the motion being depicted. A straight line indicates a constant rate of change, while a curved line indicates a changing rate of change. The direction of the line also tells us about the direction of the motion, with an upward slope indicating an increase in the quantity over time, and a downward slope indicating a decrease.

5. How can we use graphs to predict future motion?

We can use graphs to predict future motion by extrapolating the trend shown by the graph. If the graph follows a linear pattern, we can use the rate of change to estimate the value of the quantity at a future time. If the graph shows a more complex pattern, we can use mathematical models or other techniques to make predictions about future motion.