Lorentz invariance of Klein-Gordon Lagrangian

In summary, the conversation revolves around proving the invariance of the Klein-Gordon Lagrangian under a general Lorentz transformation. The easiest way to do this is by applying the Lorentz transformation and seeing that the Lagrangian remains unchanged. Differentiating the scalar field with respect to x and using the chain rule and the defining property of the Lorentz transformation, it can be shown that the Lagrangian remains invariant. However, there are some issues with the notation and the Einstein summation convention should be followed to avoid any mistakes.
ShayanJ
Insights Author
Gold Member
I want to prove the invariance of the Klein-Gordon Lagrangian [itex] \mathcal{L}=\frac 1 2 \partial^\mu \phi \partial_\mu \phi-\frac 1 2 m^2 \phi^2 [/itex] under a general Lorentz transformation [itex] \Lambda^\alpha_\beta [/itex] but I don't know what should I do. I don't know how to handle it. How should I do it?
Thanks

Physics news on Phys.org
Well, I think the easiest way to do it would be to apply a Lorentz transformation and see that the Lagrangian doesn't change. Have you tried doing that?

Yeah, I tried but I don't know how should I apply it. Is the following correct?

[itex]
\mathcal{L}^{'}=\frac 1 2 \Lambda^\nu_\mu \partial^\mu[\phi^{'}(\Lambda^{-1} x)] \Lambda^\mu_\nu \partial_\mu [\phi^{'}(\Lambda^{-1} x)]-\frac 1 2 m^2 [\phi^{'}(\Lambda^{-1} x)]^2
[/itex]

If it is, how should I write [itex] \Lambda^{-1} x [/itex]? The direct transformation is [itex] \Lambda_\mu^\nu x^\mu [/itex], what is the inverse transformation in component form?
Or maybe I only should write [itex] \Lambda^{-1}x=x^{'} [/itex] and then using [itex] \Lambda^\nu_\mu\partial^\mu=\partial^{'\nu} [/itex] and [itex] \Lambda^\mu_\nu\partial_\mu=\partial^{'}_{\nu} [/itex], and the invariance is proved?
Or what?

Last edited:
what is the definition of a scalar field transformation then? or try to expand it in taylor around x [I guess then you can reach a form of the same lagrangian + a total derivative term]
In any case there are some problems in your definition... you should avoid writting two summed indices the same...[in your case a mu pair should change... then you'll get the metric which will give you again the double partial derivative...

Shyan said:
Yeah, I tried but I don't know how should I apply it. Is the following correct?

[itex]
\mathcal{L}^{'}=\frac 1 2 \Lambda^\nu_\mu \partial^\mu[\phi^{'}(\Lambda^{-1} x)] \Lambda^\mu_\nu \partial_\mu [\phi^{'}(\Lambda^{-1} x)]-\frac 1 2 m^2 [\phi^{'}(\Lambda^{-1} x)]^2
[/itex]

If it is, how should I write [itex] \Lambda^{-1} x [/itex]? The direct transformation is [itex] \Lambda_\mu^\nu x^\mu [/itex], what is the inverse transformation in component form?
Or maybe I only should write [itex] \Lambda^{-1}x=x^{'} [/itex] and then using [itex] \Lambda^\nu_\mu\partial^\mu=\partial^{'\nu} [/itex] and [itex] \Lambda^\mu_\nu\partial_\mu=\partial^{'}_{\nu} [/itex], and the invariance is proved?
Or what?

If you just replace it with ##\partial^{\nu'}## and call it done, then you might as well have just said the Lagrangian is Lorentz invariant by inspection.

Maybe one can try this hint:

$$A^{\mu'}A_{\mu'}=\Lambda^{\mu'}_{~~\nu}A^\nu \Lambda^{\rho}_{~~\mu'} A_\rho=\Lambda^{\rho}_{~~\mu'}\Lambda^{\mu'}_{~~\nu}A^\nu A_\rho=\delta^{~~\rho}_{\nu}A^\nu A_\rho=A^\rho A_\rho$$

See how you can apply this to your calculation.

Likes 1 person
Shyan said:
I want to prove the invariance of the Klein-Gordon Lagrangian [itex] \mathcal{L}=\frac 1 2 \partial^\mu \phi \partial_\mu \phi-\frac 1 2 m^2 \phi^2 [/itex] under a general Lorentz transformation [itex] \Lambda^\alpha_\beta [/itex] but I don't know what should I do. I don't know how to handle it. How should I do it?
Thanks

Start from the “transformation” of the scalar field
[tex]\phi ( x ) = \bar{ \phi } ( \bar{ x } ) . \ \ \ (1)[/tex]
So, [itex]\phi^{ 2 } ( x ) = \bar{ \phi }^{ 2 } ( \bar{ x } )[/itex] and this takes care of the second term.

Now, differentiate (1) with respect to [itex]x^{ \mu }[/itex] and use the chain rule:
[tex]\partial_{ \mu } \phi ( x ) = \frac{ \partial \bar{ \phi } ( \bar{ x } ) }{ \partial \bar{ x }^{ \rho } } \frac{ \partial \bar{ x }^{ \rho } }{ \partial x^{ \mu } } = \bar{ \partial }_{ \rho } \bar{ \phi } ( \bar{ x } ) \ \Lambda^{ \rho }{}_{ \mu } . \ \ \ (2)[/tex]
Next, differentiate (1) with respect to [itex]x_{ \mu }[/itex]:
[tex]\partial^{ \mu } \phi ( x ) = \frac{ \partial \bar{ \phi } ( \bar{ x } ) }{ \partial \bar{ x }^{ \sigma } } \frac{ \partial \bar{ x }^{ \sigma } }{ \partial x_{ \mu } } = \bar{ \partial }_{ \sigma } \bar{ \phi } ( \bar{ x } ) \ \Lambda^{ \sigma \mu } . \ \ \ (3)[/tex]
Multiply (2) and (3) and use the defining property of the Lorentz transformation
[tex]\Lambda^{ \rho }{}_{ \mu } \ \Lambda^{ \sigma \mu } = \Lambda^{ \rho }{}_{ \mu } \ \Lambda^{ \sigma }{}_{ \nu } \ \eta^{ \mu \nu } = \eta^{ \rho \sigma } .[/tex]

Sam

Likes 1 person
Gosh I hate the notation ##x_\mu##... I would much rather write ##\partial^\mu=\eta^{\mu\nu}\partial_\nu## rather than ##\partial^\mu=\partial/\partial x_\mu##.

Matterwave said:
Gosh I hate the notation ##x_\mu##... I would much rather write ##\partial^\mu=\eta^{\mu\nu}\partial_\nu## rather than ##\partial^\mu=\partial/\partial x_\mu##.

Yes, hating it is a good practise. Ok, the equation below is for your taste :)

[tex]\partial^{ \mu } \phi ( x ) = \frac{ \partial \bar{ \phi } ( \bar{ x } ) }{ \partial \bar{ x }^{ \sigma } } \partial^{ \mu } \bar{ x }^{ \sigma } = \bar{ \partial }_{ \sigma } \bar{ \phi } ( \bar{ x } ) \Lambda^{ \sigma \mu } . \ \ \ (3)[/tex]

Just one more thing.
Consider the quantity [itex] A^\mu B_\mu [/itex]. Is it the same as [itex] A_\mu B^\mu [/itex]?
This is how I tried to prove it:
[itex] A^\nu B_\nu=\eta_{\nu\mu}\eta^{\nu\mu}A_\mu B^\mu[/itex].
The problem is, [itex] \eta_{\nu\mu}\eta^{\nu\mu} [/itex] is the twice contracted product of Minkowski metrics and is equal to [itex] \pm 2 [/itex]. But regardless of the fact that maybe [itex] A^\mu B_\mu=A_\nu B^\nu [/itex] isn't true, a coefficient of two doesn't seem to be true!

Last edited:
No, you haven't understood the Einstein summation convention properly. Compare what you wrote with what's right:

[tex] A^{\nu}B_{\nu} = \eta^{\nu\alpha}A_{\alpha}B^{\mu}\eta_{\mu\nu} [/tex]

See where you made the mistake.

Likes 1 person
avoid having summed indices more than once- that's a rule. Otherwise summation doesn't make much sense.
what you wrote would have to be:
[itex]A_{\nu} B^{\nu} = \eta_{\nu \mu} A^{\mu} \eta^{\mu \rho} B_{\rho} = \delta^{\rho}_{\mu} A^{\mu}B_{\rho} = A^{\mu} B_{\mu} [/itex]

Likes 1 person

1. What is Lorentz invariance?

Lorentz invariance is a fundamental principle in physics that states that the laws of physics should be the same for all observers moving at a constant velocity. This means that the laws of physics should not depend on the specific frame of reference or coordinate system used to describe them.

2. What is the Klein-Gordon Lagrangian?

The Klein-Gordon Lagrangian is an equation that describes the dynamics of a scalar field in relativistic quantum field theory. It is a mathematical expression that describes the energy of a particle in terms of its momentum and mass.

3. How is the Klein-Gordon Lagrangian related to Lorentz invariance?

The Klein-Gordon Lagrangian is a Lorentz invariant equation, meaning that it remains unchanged under Lorentz transformations. This is important because it allows us to use it to describe the behavior of particles in different frames of reference without changing the underlying physics.

4. What implications does Lorentz invariance of the Klein-Gordon Lagrangian have?

The Lorentz invariance of the Klein-Gordon Lagrangian has several implications. It means that the laws of physics are the same for all inertial reference frames, and that the speed of light is the same for all observers. It also allows for the prediction and understanding of relativistic effects, such as time dilation and length contraction.

5. Can the Klein-Gordon Lagrangian be used to describe all particles?

No, the Klein-Gordon Lagrangian is only applicable to particles with zero spin, such as scalar particles. It cannot be used to describe particles with non-zero spin, such as photons or electrons. A different Lagrangian, such as the Dirac Lagrangian, is needed to describe these particles.