Why won't Maple graph this function?

In summary, to fix the issue with the blank plot, use exp(-x^2-y^2) instead of exp^(-(x^2(-(y^2)). To fix the issue with the contour plot, make sure you have declared with(plots) and use the correct syntax for the function (either f:=(x,y)->... or f:=...).
qrt388
> f:=(x+(3*y)-1)*exp^(-(x^2(-(y^2));
> plot3d(f,x=-3..3,y=-3..3);

After this, Maple says it is initializing a plot and then I get a big blank space.

I'm also trying to find the contours, but when I type:

> contourplot(f,x=-3..3,y=-3..3,contours=5);

Maple just gives: contourplot(f,x=-3..3,y=-3..3,contours=5)

How can I fix these two things?

Physics news on Phys.org
exp^ doesn't make any sense. Do you want

[itex] e^{-x^2-y^2} \text{ or } e^{x^2 y^2} [/itex]?

if you want the first write
exp(-x^2-y^2);
if you want the second (which is more-or-less what you currently have in your expression) write
exp(x^2*y^2)

Edit: also your bracketing is very much off in your exponential function

Last edited:
Well, you've not defined it as a function to start with: f:=(x,y)-> ...

cristo said:
Well, you've not defined it as a function to start with: f:=(x,y)-> ...

You don't need to define f as a function of x and y in this case. Maple will accept f as being a function of indeterminates. It's convenient to define it the way you've written if you plan on evaluate f(x,y) at some points, but the way qrt388 has done it is fine. If qrt388 wants to evaluate f at some points he'll then need to use eval(f, [x=blah, y=blah]).

Also, have you declared with(plots): at some point? You can't use contourplots unless you've told Maple to access those commands

1. Why won't Maple graph this function?

There are several reasons why Maple may not be able to graph a specific function. It could be due to syntax errors in the function, an incorrect input format, or limitations of the graphing software. It's also possible that the function is too complex for Maple to graph accurately.

2. How can I fix the syntax errors in my function?

If there are syntax errors in your function, Maple will usually alert you with an error message. You can use this message to identify and correct the errors. Make sure to follow proper mathematical notation and use parentheses to indicate the order of operations.

3. Can Maple graph functions with multiple variables?

Yes, Maple can graph functions with multiple variables. However, you may need to specify the value of the other variables in order to get a 2D or 3D graph.

4. Are there any limitations to Maple's graphing capabilities?

Although Maple is a powerful graphing software, it does have some limitations. It may not be able to graph extremely complex functions or functions with infinite or undefined values. Additionally, it may not be able to handle very large or small numbers accurately.

5. What should I do if Maple is unable to graph my function?

If Maple is unable to graph your function, you can try simplifying the function or breaking it down into smaller parts. You can also consult the Maple documentation or seek help from online forums or support services to troubleshoot the issue.