Altering Data Rate of AVI Video for Lag-Free Playback

In summary, changing the data rate of a video using video editing software may not solve the "lag" issue, as it could be caused by other factors such as the CPU, installed codecs, or frame rate. However, in your case where the videos are streamed wirelessly, the data rate could be a contributing factor. It's also important to note that the data rate of a video is not constant and can vary depending on the content.
Petey B
Hey,

Is there a way to alter the data rate of a avi video.

The problem is when i watch a video on my tv it has a slight lag to it, some videos do and some dont. i compared all the info of the videos and the ones that laged had a video data rate of 93kb/s.

thanks

Computer science news on Phys.org
You can use video editing software like Adobe Premiere to re-encode ("transcode") a video file from one data rate to another.

However, I don't think your "lag" problem has anything to do the data rate of the video -- it is probably just a poorly-made video in the first place. 93 kbps is actually an incredibly low data rate for video.

Note that increasing the data rate of a poor movie isn't going to make it any better -- that would require the creation of new information, which the computer cannot magically do.

- Waren

Where did you find a video source that had a 93kbps rate? As mentioned its very low. For 640x480 videos I use about 2000kbs just for the video, which may bit of overkill, but file sizes are reasonable for 1 to 10 minute videos. DVD's range about 3000kbs to 9800kbs. HDTV (1080i) is 19.25mbps. BluRay DVD's (1080p) are even faster, 36mbps (1x) and 72mbps (2x), they need 54mpbs (1.5x) to get full quality transfer.

Video lag has absolutely nothing to do with data rate.

Video "lag" usually happens when either your CPU cannot decode the video fast enough, you have installed incorrect codecs or splitters, or there is a problem with the video's frame rate.

How are you playing your videos on TV? Is it directly connected to your computer? If so, are you saying that this lag does not exist on your computer screen?

Well i have a D-link media connecter thing (some bull**** name) where it will play movies from my computer wirelessly.

ive downloaded a bunch of movies and most of them run great, but some have a little lag, when i watch them on my computer they are fine but not on my tv.

if u want any screen shots of n e thing that will help let me know.

Thanks!

In that case, the lag can be caused by the data rate. It could be that the data rate at some scenes are too high for the wireless connection.

I'd like to bring up two points for your own information however:
- It is very common for video to look okay on TV and "laggy" on the computer, due to a bad deinterlacing scheme. The computer uses a progressive display while TVs are interlaced. DVDs come interlaced.

- MOST codecs encode using variable bit rate. This includes MPEG-2 (default DVD codec) and MPEG-4 (default Blu-ray/HD-DVD codec). This means that the data rate is not constant. You cannot simply say this video is 93kbit/s. The bit rate changes depending on how much action there is in that particular scene.

1. How can I alter the data rate of an AVI video?

There are several ways to alter the data rate of an AVI video, depending on your video editing software. One way is to use a video converter tool, which allows you to adjust the data rate during the conversion process. Another way is to use a video editing software such as Adobe Premiere or Final Cut Pro, which have options to adjust data rate in the export settings.

2. Why would I want to alter the data rate of an AVI video?

Altering the data rate of an AVI video can be useful for several reasons. One reason is to reduce lag or playback issues when streaming the video online. Lowering the data rate can also reduce the file size of the video, making it easier to upload and share. Additionally, adjusting the data rate can improve the overall quality of the video by reducing pixelation or blurriness.

3. What is the ideal data rate for lag-free playback of AVI videos?

The ideal data rate for lag-free playback of AVI videos can vary depending on the resolution and frame rate of the video. Generally, a data rate between 2,000-5,000 kbps is recommended for standard definition videos, while 5,000-10,000 kbps is recommended for high definition videos. However, the best way to determine the ideal data rate is to experiment and find the best balance between quality and file size for your specific video.

4. Will altering the data rate affect the quality of my AVI video?

Yes, altering the data rate can affect the quality of your AVI video. Lowering the data rate too much can result in a loss of video quality, such as pixelation or blurriness. However, finding the right balance between data rate and quality can result in a smooth and high-quality video playback.

5. Can I alter the data rate of an AVI video without re-encoding the entire file?

Yes, it is possible to alter the data rate of an AVI video without re-encoding the entire file. Some video editing software allows you to adjust the data rate during the export process, without having to re-encode the entire video. Additionally, there are also some video converter tools that offer the option to only change the data rate without converting the entire video.