Using Tablets & Phones instead of a PC for data storage

In summary: Win10 so anything I can run on my main Win10 home or work PC, I can run on the tablet3) via the USB, I can ethernet connect and other peripherals with ease including multi-Terabyte storage4) great battery life considering screen size and processor power5) a nice magnetic clip-on keyboard that doubles as a good screen protectorYes, it can, as I do on my home and work PC's. Couldnt survive without all the extra ports :smile:but on a tablet it's something extra hanging off the side of the unit and that has to be remembered to pack for holiday
MikeeMiracle
TL;DR Summary
Using Tablets & Phones instead of a PC for data storage
My view of tablets and phones is that they are "companion" devices and are not a suitable replacement of a computer. They are there to help you perform certain tasks which you would previously have had to use a computer for and are generally very good at it but are still limited. They are there to complment your computer, not replace it. Some of the factors are:

1) They have limited power and storage.
2) They do not support the full range of software abilities that a computer does.
3) They have limited customisation options.
4) They are very hard to backup and are not suitable for keeping critical data on.

I felt the need to make this post and start a conversation on the forum to raise awareness of the problems of relying on these portable devices as your primary compute / storage device as posts about "lost data" when their device fails appear to often in my opinion.

I in no way want to belittle those who do not have the funds for a proper computer, just to make them aware / raise awareness of downsides of relying exclusively on such devices for things like data storage. Computers are easier to backup, and in the case of a failure other than your hard drive on the computer which stops it working, the drive can easily be taken out and moved to another computer to regain access to your data. You can even buy USB to hard drive adaptors for even easier access.

If you have both a portable device and a computer then please try and transfer important data to your computer for safe keeping frequently.

Alternatively consider using one of the many cloud backup applications that are available these days. Many have free options with a limited storage capacity and you can naturally pay for more capacity if needed.

Computer science news on Phys.org
MikeeMiracle said:
Summary:: Using Tablets & Phones instead of a PC for data storage

My view of tablets and phones is that they are "companion" devices and are not a suitable replacement of a computer. They are there to help you perform certain tasks which you would previously have had to use a computer for and are generally very good at it but are still limited. They are there to complment your computer, not replace it. Some of the factors are:

1) They have limited power and storage.
2) They do not support the full range of software abilities that a computer does.
3) They have limited customisation options.
4) They are very hard to backup and are not suitable for keeping critical data on.

That would apply to most smartphones and some tablets like the iPad and a few others that run either iOS or Android
My, Microsoft tablet, the Surface Pro, which has ...
1) plenty of internal storage which can be upgraded easily
2) Win10 so anything I can run on my main Win10 home or work PC, I can run on the tablet
3) via the USB, I can ethernet connect and other peripherals with ease including multi-Terabyte storage
4) great battery life considering screen size and processor power
5) a nice magnetic clip-on keyboard that doubles as a good screen protector

The ONLY thing I dislike is that there is only one USB port
Otherwise, it's the best tablet I have ever owned

I used to have to drag around my HP lappy on holidays around my country or overseas
Never again ! The surface Pro is the way to go now.Dave

The Surface is an exception in that it runs a full version of Windows so it's kinda a hybrid device and has the cost to match.

My post is applicable to all Apple / Android devices and like I say, was made to raise awareness.

sysprog said:
That can be remedied with an inexpensive hub adapter − https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07Q6CWD6W/?tag=pfamazon01-20
Yes, it can, as I do on my home and work PC's. Couldnt survive without all the extra ports :smile:
but on a tablet it's something extra hanging off the side of the unit and that has to be remembered to pack for holidayD

MikeeMiracle said:
You can even buy USB to hard drive adaptors for even easier access.
I don't think that it is even possible these days to buy a computer that has no USB ports so there's no need for any kind of adapter [not adaptor] to hook up to an external hard drive and even if you only have 2 (which would be the minimum on even a cheap laptop) you can expand that with a cheap USB port extender so there is never any need for any adapters for external hard drives, you just plug them in directly even if you have several of them as I do.

Likes davenn

1. How reliable are tablets and phones for data storage compared to PCs?

Tablets and phones can be just as reliable as PCs for data storage, as long as they are used properly and regularly backed up. However, they may have limited storage space compared to PCs, so it's important to regularly transfer important data to a separate storage device.

2. Can tablets and phones handle large amounts of data like a PC?

It depends on the specific device and its storage capacity. Some tablets and phones have a larger storage capacity than others, but they may also have limitations on the size of individual files they can store. It's important to check the specifications of your device to determine its capabilities for data storage.

3. Is it safe to store sensitive data on tablets and phones?

Tablets and phones can be just as safe as PCs for storing sensitive data, as long as proper security measures are taken. This includes setting a strong password or using biometric authentication, regularly updating the device's operating system, and using encrypted storage options.

4. Can tablets and phones be connected to a network for data storage?

Yes, most tablets and phones have the capability to connect to a network for data storage. This can be done through a cloud storage service or by connecting the device to a computer on the same network. However, it's important to ensure that the network is secure to prevent unauthorized access to sensitive data.

5. Are there any limitations to using tablets and phones for data storage?

While tablets and phones can be a convenient and portable option for data storage, they may have limitations compared to PCs. These limitations may include limited storage space, restricted file types that can be stored, and potential security risks if proper precautions are not taken. It's important to consider these limitations before relying solely on tablets and phones for data storage.