Expanding Space: Explaining the Mystery

In summary, the expansion of the universe is due to the gravitational field becoming repellent. There are other explanations for the beginning of the expansion, but they are less likely.
cragar
This might be in the wrong section. If all the matter and energy in the universe was localized into a small region at some point in time. why would it expand, the gravitational field would seem to be very strong and prevent this. But then I think they say that space itself is expanding, OK but why wouldn't the matter just stay in place and have the boundary of the universe expand.

Space news on Phys.org
cragar said:
This might be in the wrong section. If all the matter and energy in the universe was localized into a small region at some point in time. why would it expand?... But then I think they say that space itself is expanding, OK but why wouldn't the matter just stay in place and have the boundary of the universe expand.

Why would it expand depends somewhat on which model is used to eliminate the singularity.
Typically we are talking about quantum cosmology. The old classical (pre-quantum theory) model blew up, so you could not say anything except for after the expansion had already begun. If you pushed the old model back as far as the very start, it broke and would not compute.

So you are asking about an active area of research called quantum cosmology (abbreviated QC).
Here, not to read but just to realize the existence, are the QC papers from 2009 onward:
http://www-library.desy.de/cgi-bin/spiface/find/hep/www?rawcmd=dk+quantum+cosmology+and+date+%3E+2008&FORMAT=WWW&SEQUENCE=citecount%28d%29

In what is probably the most widely studied type of QC the Einstein law of gravity (GR) is quantized and it is found that at very high density gravity is REPELLENT instead of attractive. So there is a simple answer to the question why it all didn't stick together. It wanted to expand.
After a short while the density was lower and gravity was behaving normally but by then expansion was under way and intituitively it had a kind of momentum.

There are other ways of explaining the start of expansion. Some day hopefully we will be able to test them against observations going far back in time, and judge which are the most likely. In the approach I mentioned, our big bang (really a big bounce) resulted from the collapse of a prior universe which actually achieved the extreme density needed for quantum effects to make gravity repellent. So there was a rebound producing a whole new region of space and time.

They actually have been running computer simulations of this bounce cosmology. It may be possible to test it---confront it with data from the next generation of observatory spacecraft ---and maybe it will fail the tests and be discarded--or maybe not. Right now it is just an untested theory on the drawing boards.

Last edited by a moderator:
thanks for your reply marcus, thanks interesting that gravity can become repulsive at high densities, is this similar to the nuclear force.

marcus said:
In what is probably the most widely studied type of QC the Einstein law of gravity (GR) is quantized and it is found that at very high density gravity is REPELLENT instead of attractive. So there is a simple answer to the question why it all didn't stick together. It wanted to expand.

My question probably also has simple answer, but anyway, why black holes don't explode then?

Calimero said:
My question probably also has simple answer, but anyway, why black holes don't explode then?

I have often thought something similar to this.

Without being overly speculative I have often wondered:

If the requirement for an LQG model "bounce" is a classically contracting spacetime then I have wondered if it is possible that Bh's represent a turtles all the way up and all the way down. My thought was that while I don't think BH's are right now Universes, but within their own FoR they "bounce" from a classically contracting spacetime. From our FoR this would never happen as it is the mapping of a finite observer time to an infinite coordinate time.

I am not promoting this as personal theory itts just something if I wondered had ever been discussed or considered?

1. What is expanding space?

Expanding space is a phenomenon in which the distance between objects in the universe is increasing over time. This is due to the expansion of the universe itself.

2. What is causing the expansion of space?

The expansion of space is caused by dark energy, a mysterious force that makes up about 68% of the universe. It is believed to be responsible for the accelerated expansion of the universe.

3. How do we know that space is expanding?

We know that space is expanding through various observations, including the redshift of light from distant galaxies, the cosmic microwave background radiation, and the measurements of the cosmic distance ladder.

4. How does expanding space affect objects in the universe?

As space expands, the distance between objects increases, but the objects themselves do not actually move. This means that the expansion of space does not affect the local interactions between objects, such as the orbits of planets around a star.

5. Will the expansion of space continue forever?

Based on current observations and theories, it is believed that the expansion of space will continue indefinitely. However, the rate of expansion may change over time and is still an area of ongoing research and study.