Can diamond have a liquid state?

In summary, the conversation discussed whether diamond can melt and the definition of diamond as a covalent network solid. It was concluded that while diamond may technically melt, it would just become liquid carbon and not retain its diamond structure. The conversation also mentioned that diamond can be turned into CO2 using extreme heat, but it is not recommended to try this with valuable diamonds.
stanton
In my lecture, my chemistry professor talked about Bonding in Solids. And he asked us whether diamond can melt(in other words, does diamond can have liquid state). And he did not know either.
And I was a bit confused. Because in my textbook, it says that Diamond is covalent network solid and Covalent network solid has huge melting point.

And I think Diamond can melt. Because if diamond cannot melt, the textbook should say 'with exception to diamond' something like that when putting diamond in Covalent network solid but there was no such word. And besides, they put diamond in category that claims the solids in that category has [melting point].

Can you tell what is right?

Physics news on Phys.org
Well, diamonds are carbon. What makes carbon a diamond instead of graphite or other forms is the arrangement of the atoms. But in a liquid, there is no fixed arrangement, so I don't think liquid carbon can be considered "diamond" or "graphite" or any other allotrope of carbon - it is just liquid carbon.

That may be more semantics then the chemistry that you were looking for. But I've found references to liquid carbon, so I suppose that might be what you are looking for.

Or are there multiple forms of liquid carbon?

Algr said:

No idea, but even if they are - none of them is diamond for the reasons you have elready listed.

Last edited by a moderator:
Algr said:
Well, diamonds are carbon. What makes carbon a diamond instead of graphite or other forms is the arrangement of the atoms. But in a liquid, there is no fixed arrangement, so I don't think liquid carbon can be considered "diamond" or "graphite" or any other allotrope of carbon - it is just liquid carbon.

That may be more semantics then the chemistry that you were looking for. But I've found references to liquid carbon, so I suppose that might be what you are looking for.

Send your diamonds to me and I will do an experiment and send back the results.:-p

Diamond doesn't have a liquid state, because 'diamond' means 'carbon with 4 bonds' just as graphite means 'carbon with 3 bonds'. But a liquid is pretty much by definition a substance with an indefinite (or at least noninteger average) number of bonds, since they're continuously being broken and re-formed if it's in a liquid state.

Similarly you could compare to that there are several forms of water ice, corresponding to different bonding patterns. But there's only one liquid water.

So basically yes you could melt diamond but what you would have is liquid carbon since diamond is a particular solid form of carbon.

This is really linguistic hair splitting - it's like claiming you can't melt ice because then you would have liquid 'water' not liquid 'ice'.

Diamond usually sublimes when heated, but at about 6000 K and a megabar or two it does form what can be called a liquid.

180px-Carbon_basic_phase_diagram.png

Wow, thanks everybody! I must tell my proffessor about this. :)

You can turn a diamond into CO2 using a liquid oxygen blowtorch.

SrEstroncio said:
You can turn a diamond into CO2 using a liquid oxygen blowtorch.

As far as I remember it is enough to heat them in the air. Not sure how high temperature is required, but nothing you will be not able to reach at home.

Don't try it with your Mom wedding ring :wink:

Last edited by a moderator:
Borek said:
As far as I remember it is enough to heat them in the air. Not sure how high temperature is required,
There's a quote I remember from my chemistry textbook, after calculating the heat of combustion of diamond it notes "for obvious reasons diamond is not generally used as fuel"

Related to Can diamond have a liquid state?

What is the melting point of diamond?

The melting point of diamond is 3,823 degrees Kelvin (3,550 degrees Celsius or 6,422 degrees Fahrenheit). This is significantly higher than the melting point of most other substances.

Is diamond ever found in a liquid state?

No, diamond is not found in a liquid state on Earth. It can only exist in a solid state under normal conditions due to its extremely high melting point.

Can diamond be turned into a liquid?

Yes, diamond can be turned into a liquid state through extreme heat and pressure. This process is known as diamond synthesis and is used in industrial settings to create synthetic diamonds.

What would happen if diamond was heated to its melting point?

If diamond was heated to its melting point, it would turn into a liquid. However, this would require extremely high temperatures and most likely result in the diamond vaporizing before reaching its melting point.

Is diamond liquid at room temperature and pressure?

No, diamond is not liquid at room temperature and pressure. It can only exist in a solid state under these conditions. However, recent research has shown that diamond may have a liquid state at extremely high pressures and temperatures found in the Earth's mantle.