Irrational natural log integral

In summary, the indefinite integral of (1+lnx)^(1/2)/(xlnx) dx can be solved using the substitution u=lnx, which leads to the integral (u+1)^(1/2)/u du. Another substitution, m=(u+1)^(1/2) can then be used to solve the integral, resulting in (lnx+1)^(1/2)-(1/2)ln(lnx+1)+(1/2)ln(lnx+1)+c. However, it is important to note that m should be substituted back in for the logarithmic terms, and an overall factor of 2 should be included in the final result.
mwaso

Homework Statement

the indefinite integral of (1+lnx)^(1/2)/(xlnx) dx

Homework Equations

n/a

The Attempt at a Solution

There aren't any x^2 in the root sign, so I don't think it can be a trig substitution. The only logical u sub I see is to let u=lnx. In that case, du=dx/x so the integral becomes (u+1)^(1/2)/u du. Unfortunately, I don't have any good ways to evaluate that integral.

I wanted to try another sub letting m=(u+1)^(1/2) which makes m^2=u+1. Then u=m^2-1 and du=2mdm. that left me with 2 times the integral of m^2/(m^2-1) dm. I think I can solve that using partial fractions [integral of 1+1(m^2-1) dm : A(m-1)+B(m+1)=1, A=-1/2 and B=1/2, solution=m-1/2lnm+1/2lnm, backsub a few times to get (lnx+1)^(1/2)-(1/2)ln(lnx+1)+(1/2)ln(lnx+1)+c] but I'm not at all confident in that answer or in my methods there at the last.

Physics news on Phys.org
My first thought was the substitution u = xln(x), then du = (1 + ln(x)) dx, but the square root there messes it up.

mwaso said:

Homework Statement

the indefinite integral of (1+lnx)^(1/2)/(xlnx) dx

Homework Equations

n/a

The Attempt at a Solution

There aren't any x^2 in the root sign, so I don't think it can be a trig substitution. The only logical u sub I see is to let u=lnx. In that case, du=dx/x so the integral becomes (u+1)^(1/2)/u du. Unfortunately, I don't have any good ways to evaluate that integral.

I wanted to try another sub letting m=(u+1)^(1/2) which makes m^2=u+1. Then u=m^2-1 and du=2mdm. that left me with 2 times the integral of m^2/(m^2-1) dm. I think I can solve that using partial fractions [integral of 1+1(m^2-1) dm : A(m-1)+B(m+1)=1, A=-1/2 and B=1/2, solution=m-1/2lnm+1/2lnm, backsub a few times to get (lnx+1)^(1/2)-(1/2)ln(lnx+1)+(1/2)ln(lnx+1)+c] but I'm not at all confident in that answer or in my methods there at the last.

Nice try. You've basically got it. Except that after you finished the m integration you substituted ln(x) for m in the log parts of the expression. m=sqrt(ln(x)+1). And don't forget your overall factor of 2.

FAQ: Irrational natural log integral

1. What is the definition of an irrational natural log integral?

An irrational natural log integral is a type of mathematical integral that involves the natural logarithm function and results in an irrational number as the solution. It is written in the form of ∫ln(x)dx.

2. How is an irrational natural log integral solved?

An irrational natural log integral can be solved using integration by parts or substitution methods. The exact method used may vary depending on the specific integral being solved.

3. What is the significance of an irrational natural log integral?

An irrational natural log integral is significant in mathematics as it is a fundamental tool in solving various types of problems in physics, engineering, and other fields. It also helps in the study of exponential growth and decay, as well as in solving differential equations.

4. Can an irrational natural log integral have multiple solutions?

No, an irrational natural log integral can only have one unique solution. However, different methods of solving the integral may result in different forms of the solution, but they will all be equivalent.

5. Are there any real-world applications of irrational natural log integrals?

Yes, irrational natural log integrals have many real-world applications, such as in calculating the half-life of radioactive elements, determining the rate of population growth or decay, and in predicting the spread of diseases. They are also used in finance and economics for compound interest calculations.