Regarding steady state current

In summary, the speaker is struggling with the last question on a paper about basic electronics and has tried various methods to find a solution, including asking friends and searching online. They then provide their attempt at the solution and question if it is a trick question.
Vimto

Homework Statement

Hello,
I've just done a paper on basic electronics and I'm stuck on the last question. I don't know how to go about doing the question.

2qamqyr.jpg

Homework Equations

N/A

The Attempt at a Solution

I don't know how to even start with the question. I've tried googling "steady state current", "steady state current circuit", "how to .." and so on but nothing relevant seems to be coming up. I've also tried to ask my friends who are a year ahead and they can't remember how to do it.

Physics news on Phys.org
I assume steady state meaning DC which means inductor is a short circuit, it become 0ohm and disappeared. Cap become an open and the 30ohm on the right disappeared. So you only have a 12V battery connecting to a 30ohm and a 12ohm in series which give a total of 48ohm

So the current I=V/R = 12/48=0.25A!

Is this a trick question?

Dear student,

Thank you for reaching out for help on your question regarding steady state current. I understand the frustration of not being able to find the right resources or get help from others. However, I am here to offer my assistance and guide you through this question.

Firstly, let's define what steady state current means. In basic electronics, steady state current refers to the flow of electric current through a circuit when all the components have reached a stable operating condition. This means that the voltage and current values in the circuit are not changing over time.

Now, for your question, you will need to apply the concept of steady state current to solve it. Some possible approaches could be to analyze the circuit and determine the steady state current at different points, or to use Kirchhoff's laws to calculate the steady state current in the circuit.

I recommend reviewing your notes or textbook to refresh your understanding of steady state current and its applications in circuit analysis. Additionally, you can also seek help from your instructor or a tutor to clarify any doubts or provide further guidance.

I hope this helps you to approach the question and find a solution. Remember, as a scientist, it is important to persist and seek out different resources to find an answer. Best of luck with your paper!

1. What is steady state current?

Steady state current refers to the constant flow of electric charge through a circuit when the circuit is in a stable, unchanging state. This means that the current remains the same over time, with no fluctuations or changes.

2. How is steady state current different from transient current?

Transient current is the temporary flow of electric charge in a circuit that occurs when the circuit is first turned on or when there are changes in the circuit's components. Steady state current, on the other hand, is the constant flow of charge once the circuit has reached a stable state.

3. What factors affect steady state current?

The main factors that affect steady state current are the resistance of the circuit, the voltage applied to the circuit, and the type of components in the circuit (e.g. resistors, capacitors, etc.). Additionally, the type and quality of the power source can also have an impact on steady state current.

4. How is steady state current measured?

Steady state current is typically measured using an ammeter, which is a device that measures the flow of electric charge in a circuit. The ammeter is connected in series with the circuit, allowing it to measure the current passing through a specific point in the circuit.

5. Why is steady state current important in circuit analysis?

Steady state current is important in circuit analysis because it helps us understand the behavior and performance of a circuit over time. By studying the steady state current, we can determine the voltage and current at different points in the circuit, and make predictions about how the circuit will function under different conditions.