Building an AUTOMATIC MUSIC BOX - HELP

In summary, a person is seeking advice on building a music box that can play without manual turning. They have researched and believe they need a 12VDC gear motor, preferably with a rheostat or potentiometer for speed control. They are also considering using two 9V batteries, but are unsure if this will be too much for the motor. They are also looking for a package kit that includes a motor and speed control. They have provided links to potential motors they are considering.
nickvasallo
Hello everyone,

I am a music composer and total noob. So please excuse my lack of engineering knowledge.

I am attempting to build a music box that can play without having to turn the gear's crankshaft manually. Here is a picture of the music box:

musical-movements-mbm30hp-sizes-big.jpg

b_5795.jpg

I have been doing some research and think I have a rough plan. Please correct me if I am wrong, I think I need a DC motor like this one:

http://www.sciplus.com/itm_photos/web40663.jpg

This nominal 12VDC gear motor measures 1-1/16" dia (1-5/16" at the gearbox) x 2-1/16" long with a 3/8" long x 3/16" dia flattened shaft. Spins at 135 rpm and draws 35mA no load, stalls at 1A. Has a 2-pin, 6mm Molex connector at the power leads.

Do you guys think this is a good motor to turn the gears? I also want to be able to change the speed so I guess I'll need a rheostat or potentiometer. Which is better and what specs do I need? Will I need to match the voltage of my motor?

What batteries are good for this? I would like to save space so if I get two 9 volts = 18V will this be too much for my little 12V motor?

Is there a good package kit that has a motor and speed control together?

thanks ahead of the help and advice!

Last edited by a moderator:
Engineering news on Phys.org
UPDATE, what about these?

hobbyengineering.com/H2031.html (assemble at highest gear
ratio / slowest speed)

hobbyengineering.com/H1408.html

hobbyengineering.com/H4383.html

1. How does an automatic music box work?

An automatic music box works by using a rotating cylinder with pins or pegs that pluck the teeth of a metal comb. The comb produces different musical notes depending on the placement of the pins or pegs. As the cylinder rotates, the pins or pegs activate the comb to play the desired melody.

2. What materials are needed to build an automatic music box?

The materials needed to build an automatic music box include a wooden or metal box, a rotating cylinder with pins or pegs, a metal comb, a winding mechanism, and a music box movement. Additional materials such as decorative elements and a glass cover can also be used for a more visually appealing music box.

3. Can I customize the music played by an automatic music box?

Yes, you can customize the music played by an automatic music box by creating your own rotating cylinder with pins or pegs. You can also purchase pre-made cylinders with popular tunes or create your own melody by placing the pins or pegs in specific locations on the cylinder.

4. How difficult is it to build an automatic music box?

Building an automatic music box can vary in difficulty depending on your experience and skill level with woodworking and mechanics. It may also depend on the complexity of the design and customization you want to include. However, with the right materials, tools, and instructions, it can be a fun and rewarding project for any level of expertise.

5. Are there any safety precautions I should take when building an automatic music box?

When building an automatic music box, it is important to take safety precautions such as wearing protective gear, using sharp tools carefully, and following instructions carefully. It is also important to keep small parts out of reach of children and to exercise caution when winding the mechanism or handling the rotating cylinder with pins or pegs.