Physics Experiment Question; Projectile Motion

In summary, the conversation discusses deriving an equation for calculating the theoretical range of a projectile and how to prove that the theory is consistent with the experiment. The conversation also includes suggestions for breaking down the initial velocity and angle of projection into x and y components and using equations for motion to calculate the theoretical range.
rumaithya
Hello, I have a question that says' Derive an equation for calculating the theoretical range.

I did like half of it, I got

t = sqrt[ (2y) / a ]

from the kinematic equation ( X = X0 + V0 t + 1/2 a t^2 ). How would I find the theoretical range after this?

And how to prove that the theory is consistent with the experiment?

please help.

Physics news on Phys.org
rumaithya said:
I have a question that says' Derive an equation for calculating the theoretical range.
Range of what? A projectile with a certain initial speed? Note that the range--the horizontal distance traveled--will depend on the angle that the projectile is launched.

You'll need to combine equations for both horizontal and vertical motion.

If you combine the two equations for projectile motion

[tex]y = y_0 + v_it + .5at^2[/tex]
[tex]x = x_0 + v_it +.5at^2[/tex]

into one equation, the highest range would be the vertex of the parabola, which is half of the total time I believe. I would suggest solving for t, then divinding that by 2 to get the time when the highest point is reached, which is what I'm assuming the "range" means.

Two comments, Jameson:
(1) Only the vertical component of the motion is accelerated.
(2) "Range" generally means horizontal distance traveled. (If you shot the projectile straight up, it would fall straight down. Range = 0.)

But, yes, the highest point attained is the vertex of a parabola.

rumaithya said:
Hello, I have a question that says' Derive an equation for calculating the theoretical range.

I did like half of it, I got

t = sqrt[ (2y) / a ]

from the kinematic equation ( X = X0 + V0 t + 1/2 a t^2 ). How would I find the theoretical range after this?

And how to prove that the theory is consistent with the experiment?

please help.

You'd need to break your theoretical initial velocity and angle of projection down into the initial X and Y components.
(R being initial velocity magnitude, O being initial angle)

Vox R x cosO
Voy R x sinO

Then, you'll also have to break down your equations for motion into X and Y, I'm going to assume by range you mean distance which is X-motion...
(Xo being initial X position -usually 0-; Vox being the x-component's initial velocity)

X X(t) = Xo + Voxt + 0.5at^2

(Remember that the acceleration for the x-component is ZERO!)
Now, since you have a theoretical Vox, you can plug it into the above eq.

*edit* You'd also have to do the same for the Y component, and derive that equation. Then set that equal to zero, because that will tell you the two time the projectile will cross the X-axis. Pick the positive time and substitute it into your position-time function for X.

I believe that the above is right as for range, now as for the experimental proving bit, that I can't help with.

Last edited:

1. What is projectile motion?

Projectile motion is the motion of an object through the air or space under the influence of gravity. It is a type of motion that involves both horizontal and vertical components.

2. What are the factors that affect projectile motion?

The factors that affect projectile motion include the initial velocity, the angle of projection, the mass of the object, and the force of gravity.

3. How do you calculate the range of a projectile?

The range of a projectile can be calculated using the equation: R = (v2sin(2θ))/g, where R is the range, v is the initial velocity, θ is the angle of projection, and g is the acceleration due to gravity.

4. What is the difference between horizontal and vertical motion in projectile motion?

In horizontal motion, there is no acceleration or force acting in the horizontal direction, while in vertical motion, the object is affected by the force of gravity.

5. How can projectile motion be applied in real life?

Projectile motion is used in many real-life situations, such as throwing a ball, launching a rocket, or shooting a basketball. It is also used in sports, engineering, and military applications, among others.