How can I create the ultimate anti-gravity car for a physics competition?

In summary, a group is discussing their upcoming physics competition where they must create an anti-gravity car that moves up an inclined plane. One member asks for background information and suggestions for their project, and another member mentions using a hovercraft with a wind-up drum to climb the slope. Other members suggest using microwave energy, semiconductors, and capacitors to create a large charge of electricity to lift the car. However, they acknowledge that true anti-gravity is not possible with current technology.
muna580
Tomorrow, I am going to a physics competition. Each going is going to be given some supplies (I don't know what yet) and we are going to have to make like an anti gravity car. Like a car that moves by itself up an inclined plane.

Where can I find some background information or past models on a project like this? Like I want to go in there with good knowledge and be able to come up with the best model.

I tried to google it, but couldn't find anything good.

Physics news on Phys.org
...?

-Actually- moves up an incline, without any force being applied?

Will you have to use a pulley or springs or something like a counterweight, etc?

They will supply us with bunch of materials. I am guessing the materials will include stuff like rubber bands...

Well, anti-gravity is out of the question. Such is not possible with current knowledge and/or technology. Before you mentioned the inclined plane, I was thinking towards a ground-effect device (hovercraft or WIG). You could still climb an inclined plane with either, but the lateral stability would be a serious problem to overcome. No matter how much forward thrust you input, the tendency will be for it to turn turtle and scoot off downhill. Can you provide some more detail (preferably the entire text of the problem)? With what you've posted, there's a lot of room for interpretation... which to me means a lot of room for cheating. Any Smokey Yunich fans in the crowd will know what I mean.
Meanwhile, you might, if the rules allow it, build a hovercraft that also incorporates a wind-up drum to follow a preset string up the slope.

edit: WAKE UP DAMMIT... I'M TALKING TO YOU! :tongue:

Last edited:
Murky said:
Many say this stuff is "anti gravitional":rolleyes:
Many a mickle macks a muckle? (Sorry; old saying of my mother's.)
In this case, many are morons. Ban them from your life, lest they pollute your intellect.

Toys which I mentionet don't use anti gravity at all but they could be commonly and nonscientificaly referred as "anti gravitional" only because they can float over the ground.

muna580 said:
(...) we are going to have to make like an anti gravity car. Like a car that moves by itself up an inclined plane.

Thanks for highlighting those phrases, Murky. The 'like' term slipped by because I took it as a youngster colloquialism. That indeed leaves even more room for interpretation. It even brings to mind the possibility that the thing can be on wheels, as long as it can propel itself up hill.

It would be a lot more helpful to us if you could provide materials. I assume you have more than rubber bands?

Have you looked into:-

trap microwave energy in a super-conductive metal container that is charged at the + of the power

inside the metal container you need a semiconductive material

at the the part you want to be the bottom you place a conductive metal on the inside and outside of the semi-conductor remembering to separate the conductor and the super conductor

turn on the power and the object should lift

the bottom should give a purple glow due to the scattering of electrons

I would like to research into another area.
we all know how a transistor works.

what i want to do is look at this function from another angle

I want to look at materials and their polarity as regards to electrolosis

also the tolerance to extreme cold or hot

with this i want to make:-

+ -150
0 +150

then i make a capacitor between the 0 and a metal plate charged with a complex pattern of ions

between these in theory a large charge of electric should be formed

I am sure this will work if done correctly

let me know if it doesn't

http://www.sciencefair-projects.org/physics-projects/anti-gravity-machine.html

well this isn't "anti-gravity" but it might be acceptable as i am pretty sure the competition's organizers do not think the second law of thermodynamics is a joke =P

Last edited by a moderator:

1. How does anti-gravity technology work?

Anti-gravity technology is a theoretical concept that involves creating a repulsive force that counteracts the Earth's gravity. There are different theories about how this could be achieved, such as using powerful magnets or manipulating the Higgs field.

2. What materials are needed to create an anti-gravity car?

The materials needed for an anti-gravity car will depend on the specific design and technology being used. Generally, you will need a strong, lightweight frame, a power source, and components for creating and controlling the anti-gravity force.

3. How can I test the anti-gravity capabilities of my car?

There are several ways to test the anti-gravity capabilities of your car. One method is to use a scale to measure the weight of the car and observe changes in weight when the anti-gravity technology is activated. Another method is to use a force meter to measure the force being exerted by the car's anti-gravity technology.

4. How can I ensure the safety of my anti-gravity car?

Safety should be a top priority when designing an anti-gravity car. It is important to carefully test and calibrate the technology to ensure it is functioning properly and not causing any potential hazards. It is also crucial to follow proper safety protocols and have a contingency plan in case of any malfunctions.

5. Are there any regulations or restrictions for using anti-gravity technology in a physics competition?

It is important to check with the specific competition rules and regulations before using anti-gravity technology. Some competitions may have restrictions on the use of certain materials or technologies, so it is important to make sure your car complies with all guidelines to avoid disqualification.