Limits of trigonometric functions

In summary, the conversation consisted of someone asking for help with evaluating limits and providing their answers to four different questions. The expert summarizer provided a summary of the questions and answers, highlighting any mistakes and correcting them. The conversation ended with the person thanking the expert for their help.
lamerali
Hello,
i'm having some trouble with evaluating limits if anyone could help me out a bit i would appreciate it. thanks in advance

evaluate the following limits:

Question 1:
lim
x -> 0 [tex]\frac{2tan^{2}x}{x^{2}}[/tex]

my answer:
u = x[tex]^{2}[/tex]
as x -> 0 u-> 0

= lim
u->0 [tex]\frac{2sin u}{u cos u}[/tex]

= 2 lim
u -> 0 [tex]\frac{sin u}{u}[/tex] (lim u-> 0) [tex]\frac{1}{cos u}[/tex]

= 2 (1) [tex]\frac{1}{cos (0)}}[/tex]
= 2 (1)(1/1)
= 2

question 2:

lim
x->0 [tex]\frac{1- cosx}{x sinx }[/tex]

my answer:
lim
x ->0 [tex]\frac{sinx}{x}[/tex] (lim x-> 0 [tex]\frac{1}{1 + cosx}[/tex]

(1)(1/2)

= 1/2

question 3:

lim
x -> 0 [tex]\frac{sin 7x}{sin 4x}[/tex]

my answer:
[tex]\frac{7sin 7x}{4 sin 4x}[/tex]

i'm not sure where to go from here on this one...i know the resulting limit will be equal to 7/4 but i don't know how to come up with this answer...i'm getting really confused

question 4:

lim
x->0 [tex]\frac{sin(cosx)}{sec x}[/tex]

= [tex]\frac{sin(cosx)}{1/cosx}[/tex]
= sin(cos) x . (cos x)
= sin(cosx[tex]^{2}[/tex])
= sin(cos (0)[tex]^{2}[/tex])
= 0.84

I am really unsure of what i am doing here...i know its a lot to look at, i really appreciate the help. Thank you!

Physics news on Phys.org
Hello lamerali! :smile:

Question 2 is fine.

In Question 1, putting u = x2 makes tan2x tan2(x2).

You should have used L'Hôpital's rule instead (or just tan2 = sin2/cos2)

In Question 3, you did use L'Hôpital's rule, but you differentiated wrong … try again! :smile:

In Question 4, sin(cos x) . (cos x) = sin(cosx2) is completely wrong … and where ever did 0.84 come from? :confused:

You should just have put x = 0 … no limit is involved. :wink:

Thannnnnnnk you tiny tim!
question 1, 2, and 3 are completely clear, i believe i came up with the correct answer. :D

However I'm still unsure of question 4. Even if you plug in x = 0 into [tex]\frac{sin cosx}{sec x}[/tex] where sec x is equal to [tex]\frac{1}{cos x}[/tex] my answer comes to 0.84147, also if you graph the function there appears to be a limit. i don't know where i am going wrong in my calculations on this one! have any ideas?

thanks again for the help! :)

lamerali said:
However I'm still unsure of question 4. Even if you plug in x = 0 into [tex]\frac{sin cosx}{sec x}[/tex] where sec x is equal to [tex]\frac{1}{cos x}[/tex] my answer comes to 0.84147, also if you graph the function there appears to be a limit. i don't know where i am going wrong in my calculations on this one! have any ideas?

Hi lamerali! :smile:

Your technique for Question 4 seems fine now.

sin(1) = 0.84147 … you've now got the right result for the right reason! :wink:

Great! :D thank you tiny tim!

1. What are the limits of trigonometric functions?

The limits of trigonometric functions are the values that the function approaches as the input (usually represented by the variable x) gets closer and closer to a certain value.

2. How do you find the limits of trigonometric functions?

To find the limits of trigonometric functions, you can use the following rules:

• If the input approaches a specific value (such as 0 or π/2), then the limit is the value of the function at that point.
  • If the input approaches infinity or negative infinity, then the limit will be either positive infinity, negative infinity, or does not exist.
  • If the input approaches a finite number, then you can use algebraic manipulation or trigonometric identities to simplify the function and find the limit.

3. Can the limits of trigonometric functions be undefined?

Yes, the limits of trigonometric functions can be undefined. This can happen when the function has a vertical asymptote or when both the numerator and denominator of the function approach 0 at the same time.

4. How are the limits of trigonometric functions used in real-life applications?

The limits of trigonometric functions are used in many real-life applications, such as engineering, physics, and astronomy. They can help us understand the behavior of waves, vibrations, and oscillations, and are also used in calculating distances and angles in navigation and surveying.

5. Are there any special cases when finding the limits of trigonometric functions?

Yes, there are some special cases when finding the limits of trigonometric functions. Some examples include using L'Hopital's rule when the limit involves an indeterminate form (such as 0/0 or ∞/∞), using trigonometric identities to simplify complex expressions, and using the squeeze theorem when the limit is between two other known limits.