Autostar Systems: Efficiency of Current Auto-Star Systems

• Thread starter Gear300
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Systems
In summary, the conversation discusses the efficiency and accuracy of current auto-star systems for telescopes. The use of stellar atlases and modern 'goto' pointing systems are praised for their accuracy, with the latter being able to locate objects within a few arcminutes. The idea of using a computer to capture and analyze images of the sky to identify celestial objects is also discussed, but it is deemed unnecessary compared to simpler passive tracking systems.
Gear300
How efficient are the current auto-star systems?

Astronomy news on Phys.org
What do you mean by efficient? As in how much power do they consume?

Or do you mean accurate?

Are you talking about go-to systems for telescopes? "Autostar" is a brand name...

I have an Orion Atlas, which is considered a good quality mid-level mount, and has an advertised pointing accuracy of 1 arcmin.

Stellar atlases are still useful to zero in on objects of interest, but, modern 'goto' pointing systems are amazingly accurate. Much better than the old setting circles I grew up with. You should be able to locate objects within a few arcminutes, as Russ noted. That will put them within the field of view of almost any scope.

I have an idea and I don't know how feasible it is:
Let us say that attached to a telescope was a computer that is able to capture an image of the sky. Stored in the computer are a bunch of images of the sky and programmed into that are the various identities of stars, galaxies, and so forth within those images. Using a vector analysis program to adjust the appropriate program image with the view from the telescope, the computer can then identify various celestial objects in the current sky. How reasonable is this idea as an autostar system?

Last edited:
Space probes and cruise missiles navigate essentially that way. But again, if you're talking about just making a telescope that can track, why bother with that much hardware when without too much effort you can make a passive tracking system that will place an object within the eypiece? Note that with your idea, you need a second telescope or an SLR type mirror system to steal light from the telescope.

russ_watters said:
Note that with your idea, you need a second telescope or an SLR type mirror system to steal light from the telescope.

I didn't think of how I would do that yet.

russ_watters said:
Space probes and cruise missiles navigate essentially that way. But again, if you're talking about just making a telescope that can track, why bother with that much hardware when without too much effort you can make a passive tracking system that will place an object within the eypiece?

I see...I suppose you're right.

1. What is the purpose of studying the efficiency of current auto-star systems?

The purpose of studying the efficiency of current auto-star systems is to understand the performance and effectiveness of these systems in order to improve and optimize their operation. This can lead to cost savings, reduced environmental impact, and overall better performance of the auto-star systems.

2. How is the efficiency of auto-star systems measured?

The efficiency of auto-star systems is typically measured by calculating the ratio of output to input. This can include factors such as fuel consumption, energy usage, and emissions. Other factors such as reliability, maintenance costs, and user satisfaction may also be taken into account.

3. What are the main factors that affect the efficiency of auto-star systems?

The main factors that affect the efficiency of auto-star systems include the technology used, the design and engineering of the system, and the operating conditions. Other factors such as driver behavior, maintenance, and external factors like weather and road conditions may also play a role.

4. How do auto-star systems compare to traditional manual driving in terms of efficiency?

Auto-star systems have the potential to be more efficient than traditional manual driving in terms of fuel consumption and emissions. This is because the systems are designed to optimize driving patterns and reduce unnecessary acceleration and braking. However, the efficiency of auto-star systems may also depend on the specific technology and its application in different driving scenarios.

5. What are some potential drawbacks of auto-star systems in terms of efficiency?

Some potential drawbacks of auto-star systems in terms of efficiency include the initial cost of implementing the technology, the need for regular maintenance and updates, and potential malfunctions or errors that may affect performance. Additionally, the efficiency of auto-star systems may also be affected by external factors such as traffic congestion and road construction.