Computing Scalar Product in Antisymmetric Fock Space w/ Creator Operators

In summary, the conversation discusses the use of fermions and the notation for creator operators. The conversation then goes on to evaluate a specific quantity involving these operators, and a reference or explanation is requested. The conversation ends with a clarification of notation and an explanation of how the quantity can be simplified and evaluated.
Boby37
We use the antisymmetric Fock space ( "fermions"). We denote by [tex]c(h)[/tex] a creator operator.

I need to evaluate the following quantity:

[tex]< \Omega , \big(c(h_1)+c(h_1)^{*}\big)\big(c(h_2)+c(h_2)^{*}\big) \ldots \big(c(h_n)+c(h_n)^*\big)\Omega>[/tex]

where [tex]\Omega[/tex] is the unit vector called vaccum, [tex] <\cdot\ ,\ \cdot>[/tex] the scalar product and [tex]h_1,\ldots,h_n[/tex] any vectors.

I need a reference or an explanation.

Thank you!

Physics news on Phys.org
Boby37 said:
I need a reference or an explanation.

You didn't really say what part of this is giving you trouble.

As a broad approach, I'd try explicit evaluation for some
low values on n, and try to see a pattern. Then try and
prove that the pattern holds for all n via induction.

If n is odd, I understand that the quantity is 0: We can write
the quantity as a sum of monomials in which all
creators are to the right of all annihilators (anti-Wick ordered). A
such monomial is a product of an odd number of factors. Clearly
the vacuum state annihilates a such monomial. We deduce the result by
linearity.

If n=2k is even: if a creator is to the left of a annihilator note that we have the formula

[tex]
<\xi,c(e)c(f)^*\eta>=0
[/tex]

proof:

[tex]
<\xi,c(e)c(f)^*\eta>_{\mathcal{F}(H)}
= <f,e>_H<\xi,\eta>_{\mathcal{F}(H)}-<\xi,c(f)^*c(e)\eta>_{\mathcal{F}(H)}
= <f,e>_H<\xi,\eta>_{\mathcal{F}(H)}-<f\otimes \xi,e\otimes\eta>_{\mathcal{F}(H)}
= 0
[/tex]

where in the first equality, I use [tex]c(f)^*c(e)+c(e)c(f)^* =\ <f,e>_{H} Id_{\mathcal{F}(H)}[/tex].

Now each term of the product is a sum of monomials. By the previous calculation, if a creator is
to the left of a annihilator then the vacumm state annihilates this monomial.
Then, we only must consider the monomial which all creators are to the right of
all annihilators (anti-Wick ordered). Moreover, it is clear that if
the number of creators and the number of annihilators is
different the vacuum state annihilates the (anti-Wick ordered) monomial.
Consequently, the quantity is equal to
[tex]
<\Omega ,c(h_1)^*...c(h_k)^*c(h_{k+1})..c(h_{2k})\Omega>=<h_1,h_{2k}>...<h_k,h_{k-1}>
[/tex]
But this last quantity is not "symmetric" ([tex]c(h_1)^*[/tex] and [tex]c(h_2)^*[/tex] anticommute).

Then I have a BIG problem. Where is the mistake?

Last edited:
Boby37 said:
If n=2k is even: if a creator is to the left of a annihilator note that we have the formula

[tex]
<\xi,c(e)c(f)^*\eta>=0
[/tex]

proof:

[tex]
<\xi,c(e)c(f)^*\eta>_{\mathcal{F}(H)}
= <f,e>_H<\xi,\eta>_{\mathcal{F}(H)}-<\xi,c(f)^*c(e)\eta>_{\mathcal{F}(H)}
= <f,e>_H<\xi,\eta>_{\mathcal{F}(H)}-<f\otimes \xi,e\otimes\eta>_{\mathcal{F}(H)}
= 0
[/tex]

where in the first equality, I use [tex]c(f)^*c(e)+c(e)c(f)^* =\ <f,e>_{H} Id_{\mathcal{F}(H)}[/tex].

I'm not sure I understand your notation, I presume that

[tex]
|\eta\rangle ~:=~ c^*(\eta) |\Omega\rangle ~~~~~~ ?
[/tex]

Hmm... permit me to simplify (i.e., abuse) the notation...

I'll write
[tex]
c^*(f) ~\to~ f^* ~~~~~~\mbox{etc,}
[/tex]
and I'll use ordinary parentheses to denote the inner product in H, e.g., (f,g).
I'll also use "0" for the vacuum.

Then

[tex]
\langle\xi,c(e)c(f)^*\eta\rangle ~\to~ \langle 0|\, \xi \, e \, f^* \, \eta^* \, |0\rangle
~=~ (f,e)\,(\eta,\xi) ~-~ (f,\xi) \, (\eta,e)
~\ne~ 0 ~~,
[/tex]

unless I've made a mistake, or misunderstood your notation.

Thank you for your answer.
However, with my notations, we have
[tex]
c(\eta) |\Omega\rangle ~:=~ |\eta\rangle
[/tex]
[tex] c(\eta) [/tex] is a creator and not a annhilator.

Boby37 said:
[...] with my notations, we have
[tex]
c(\eta) |\Omega\rangle ~:=~ |\eta\rangle
[/tex]
[tex] c(\eta) [/tex] is a creator and not a annhilator.

OK, but I still don't see how you get zero...

[tex]
\langle\xi,c(e)c^*(f)\eta\rangle ~=~ \langle 0|\, c^*(\xi) \, c(e) \, c^*(f) \, c(\eta)\, |0\rangle
~=~ \langle 0| \big( (\xi, e) - c(e)c^*(\xi) \big) \big( (f,\eta) - c(\eta) c^*(f) \big) |0\rangle
~=~ (\xi, e)\,(f,\eta) ~\ne~ 0 ~~,
[/tex]

Thank you very much!

1. What is the purpose of computing scalar product in antisymmetric Fock space with creator operators?

The purpose of computing scalar product in antisymmetric Fock space with creator operators is to calculate the inner product between two quantum states in the Fock space, which is used in quantum mechanics to determine the probability amplitudes of different states.

2. How is the scalar product computed in antisymmetric Fock space with creator operators?

The scalar product is computed using the ladder operators, also known as creator and annihilator operators, which are used to create and destroy particles in the Fock space. The scalar product is calculated by taking the inner product of two states using these creator operators.

3. What is the significance of using creator operators in the scalar product calculation?

The use of creator operators in the scalar product calculation is significant because it allows for the proper handling of fermionic particles in the Fock space. Fermions follow the Pauli exclusion principle, which states that no two identical fermions can occupy the same quantum state at the same time. The creator operators ensure that this principle is satisfied in the scalar product calculation.

4. Can the scalar product be computed for any type of particle in Fock space?

Yes, the scalar product can be computed for any type of particle in Fock space, including bosons and fermions. The use of creator operators allows for the proper handling of both types of particles in the calculation.

5. Are there any limitations to computing scalar product in antisymmetric Fock space with creator operators?

One limitation of computing scalar product in antisymmetric Fock space with creator operators is that it can become computationally intensive for systems with a large number of particles. In these cases, alternative methods, such as using numerical algorithms, may be more efficient.