Help with assignment AC-Circuit:

• Engineering
  • Thread starter scootypuffsnr
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Assignment
In summary, the person tried a problem involving a dependent source and is unsure if they did it correctly. They also ask for clarification on how to calculate apparent power for a dependent source. They have attached their attempt in two PDFs and are seeking feedback on their solution. They question if the potential across the 6k resistor should be included in the first expression.
scootypuffsnr

Homework Statement

Hi i tried this problem i attached(jpg one) but i don't think i am doing it right as I am getting a really small number
and also would how would you calculate the apparent power over dependant source because i don't think i did that right either

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

i attached my attempt in the two pdfs for the first 5 questions, can you please look at what i am doing wrong

Attachments

• Help Q2.jpg
    Help Q2.jpg
    16.2 KB · Views: 479
  • scan0002.pdf
    389.5 KB · Views: 227
  • scan0003.pdf
    341.3 KB · Views: 220
Physics news on Phys.org
First page, first expression. Shouldn't Vx include the potential across the 6k resistor?

umm should it? i got it from the teacher but i think he didnt really look at it properly so yea not really sure

how does the rest of the stuff look?

1. What is an AC circuit?

An AC circuit is a type of electrical circuit that uses alternating current (AC) to power devices. Alternating current is an electric current that changes direction periodically, typically 60 times per second in the United States.

2. How do I calculate the voltage and current in an AC circuit?

To calculate voltage and current in an AC circuit, you will need to use Ohm's Law, which states that voltage equals current multiplied by resistance. However, in an AC circuit, the resistance is replaced by impedance, which takes into account the effects of both resistance and reactance (a measure of how much a circuit resists changes in current or voltage). You will also need to take into account the phase difference between voltage and current in an AC circuit, which can be calculated using trigonometry.

3. What is the difference between series and parallel AC circuits?

In a series AC circuit, all components are connected in a single loop, with the same current flowing through each component. In a parallel AC circuit, the components are connected in separate branches, with the same voltage across each component. Additionally, in a series circuit, the total resistance is equal to the sum of the individual resistances, while in a parallel circuit, the total resistance is less than the smallest individual resistance.

4. How do I analyze an AC circuit using complex numbers?

In AC circuit analysis, complex numbers are used to represent the voltage and current in a circuit, as they can take into account both magnitude and phase. To analyze an AC circuit using complex numbers, you will need to convert all components (resistors, capacitors, and inductors) into their complex equivalents and use complex algebra to solve for voltage and current. The final answer will be a complex number, which can then be converted back to a polar or rectangular form.

5. What are some common applications of AC circuits?

AC circuits are used in many everyday devices, such as household appliances, computers, and televisions. They are also commonly used in power transmission and distribution systems, as AC current can be easily converted to different voltages using transformers. AC circuits are also used in many industrial and commercial applications, such as motors, generators, and lighting systems.