Power required for muscles to hold object up

• Thread starter Pythagorean
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Power
In summary: The individual muscle cells in an isometric contraction are not contracting (or at least not very much). This is in contrast to a voluntary contraction, where the muscle cells are working harder and generating more force.
Pythagorean
Gold Member
Is there a simple theory for this in terms of mechanics?

I'm not quite sure how to frame this. I guess you could look at it as a piston being held up by a pressurized chamber that has a constantly open release valve on it, but also an input valve that you have to keep supplying (to equal the release valves volume exhausted).

Do I have to go to the biology subforum now to find out if the bond holding my muscles together has to be supplied with energy (ATP, I presume) or the bonds would break and my arms would drop, much like if we stopped supplying the the pressurized chamber above?

Biology news on Phys.org
I'm not quite sure what you are asking.

It takes perhaps 2500 calories daily of energy to power a typical human body...that includes exercise (work, as in force times distance) but the body also requires energy to maintain, repair and operate life functions...somebody must have typical data for such life maintenance functions..digestion, blood circulation, breathing, etc...

The issue you may be addressing is if one holds up, say, a one lb object the person will use more energy (calories) than if they were not holding such a weight. That's an incremental increase in energy and likely sports medicene or a related field would have observational data on such efforts over and above life functions.

Naty1 said:
I'm not quite sure what you are asking.

It takes perhaps 2500 calories daily of energy to power a typical human body...that includes exercise (work, as in force times distance) but the body also requires energy to maintain, repair and operate life functions...somebody must have typical data for such life maintenance functions..digestion, blood circulation, breathing, etc...

The issue you may be addressing is if one holds up, say, a one lb object the person will use more energy (calories) than if they were not holding such a weight. That's an incremental increase in energy and likely sports medicene or a related field would have observational data on such efforts over and above life functions.

Well, I posted this in the physics forum with the first paragraph in mind, but then kind of answered my question and had a second question in mind (second paragraph).

I'm more interested in the mechanism, not the numbers.

Like, if I'm holding a weight up, I'm obviously burning energy the whole time to do it, even though there's no motion. So what happens here? Are the bonds between the muscle cells temporary and must be supplied energy to keep bonded so that the muscle stays contracted?

Muscle contraction occurs via myosin and actin. Briefly, myosin hydrolyzes ATP in order to 'walk' along an actin filament.

Reality is a bit more complicated and this website is excellent:

http://people.eku.edu/ritchisong/301notes3.htm

You are asking about the physiology of an 'isometric' contraction

http://muscle.ucsd.edu/musIntro/contractions.shtml

None of the websites mentioned if isometric contractions are similar to stalling the myosin motor, but I think that's what happens:

http://www.pubmedcentral.nih.gov/articlerender.fcgi?artid=1366860

FAQ: Power required for muscles to hold object up

1. What is the definition of power in relation to muscles?

Power is defined as the rate at which work is done, or the amount of energy transferred per unit of time. In the context of muscles, power refers to the amount of force that a muscle can generate in a given amount of time.

2. How is power related to holding an object up?

When holding an object up, the muscles in the body are working against the force of gravity. Power is required for muscles to overcome this force and maintain the object in an elevated position.

3. What factors affect the amount of power required to hold an object up?

The amount of power required to hold an object up depends on the weight of the object, the distance from the body at which it is held, and the length of time the object is being held. The strength and endurance of the muscles also play a role in determining the power required.

4. How can power be increased for holding objects up?

The power required for holding an object up can be increased through regular strength training exercises that target the muscles used for holding objects. Proper nutrition and rest are also important for maintaining and improving muscle power.

5. Can power be measured for individual muscles?

Yes, power can be measured for individual muscles using specialized equipment such as a dynamometer. This allows scientists to accurately assess the power output of specific muscles and track changes over time with training or injury.