Best European Universities in Physics?

In summary, In the UK there are Cambridge and Oxford, France has L'École Polytechnique, and the Netherlands has the University of Groningen. For medical physics/engineering, you want to check out which universities are connected with local hospitals.
Gendo
I realize this forum is mostly US focused, but i'd like to know some good european universities in physics.
I'd also like to know which areas are more lucrative and/or have more job opportunities.
Thanks ^^

Physics news on Phys.org
Where specifically in Europe are you thinking about?

Mainly the UK, Germany, France, Netherlands and such. I am hoping for some courses lectured in english because i dont' really speak german or french.

Are you looking undergrad or graduate studies?
I would be interested to hear some info about US students going abroad for graduate studies
In the UK obviously there's Cambridge and Oxford
In France I think there's L'École Polytechnique (I think I remember reading that some famous people have taught and studied there)

Im thinking about Masters studies mostly. The main reason is that most undergraduate courses are usually taught in the country's native language. I'm also trying to ignore the most obvious english universities (Oxford, Cambridge and the Imperial) which are rather expensive. More specifically, I'd really like to know the best european courses in medical physics. Apreciate the input ^^

Last edited:
I'll help you with the UK universities, since I know nothing about the others! Next it depends on what specifically you want to study in your masters degree. Different universities offer different topics for masters degrees.

Also, with respect to fees, I presume that you are not an EU national, and so will have to pay international fees? If so, they will range from about £13k to £16k for the year. Note that, currently, Imperial's fees are £15.8k for a physics masters.

I'm portuguese by the way (hence EU ).

Gendo said:
I'm portuguese by the way (hence EU ).

Well, then, you get to pay "home" fees, which are around £3000 at all universities. I see you've added that you want to study Medical Physics. That is way out of my field, and so I don't know which places do it. You might want to google search for "medical physics msc uk" or something like that. Post back anything you may find, and I'll perhaps be able to help in pointing out which are the "better" universities.

For medical physics/engineering, you want to check out which universities are connected with local hospitals.

eg. I know that Bristol uni does work with the BRI (Bristol Royal Infirmary) -- a good uni + a good hospital must equal a "Best" qualification.

(I would imagine that the London unis have strong connections to big hospitals too.)

cristo, concerning the fees, if i have a british passport but live in israel, am i still considered an international student for the fees?

well, i don't know, cause i got my british passport from my dad, but basically I am an israeli citizen who has british passport, i don't know if that makes me a "national", but it would be nice for me if that were the case, cause the internatinal fees are quite intimidating (not that the 3k pounds sounds any good, but if you go to graduate studies you get a TA scholarship, or also this is questionable and not always offered to everyone who goes to graduate studies?).

loop quantum gravity said:
well, i don't know, cause i got my british passport from my dad, but basically I am an israeli citizen who has british passport, i don't know if that makes me a "national", but it would be nice for me if that were the case,
You'll have to check whether you count as a national or not. I personally don't really know.
but if you go to graduate studies you get a TA scholarship, or also this is questionable and not always offered to everyone who goes to graduate studies?).
There's no such thing as a TA scholarships over here. There are studentships available whic basically pay your (home rate) fees and give you a monthly stipend on which to live, however you do not need to do any teaching. (And, in fact, any teaching you do will be paid on top of your stipend). These studentships are only available to people paying home fees though (I think).

Last edited:
UCL used to do medical physics when I was there.
Remember that living expenses in London will be about twice as much as the north of England (Durham, Newcastle) or Scotland.

The universities make most of their money from overseas fees so they will try and class you as an international student if they possibly can.
UK PhDs are a lot more concentrated than in the US. You may be able to do some tutorials or lab demonstrating but not enough to live on.

So how do you stay alive long enough to get your Ph.D. in the UK?

Poop-Loops said:
So how do you stay alive long enough to get your Ph.D. in the UK?
You can finish a PhD in 3 years. During that time you get funding from a research council of about 10-12k gbp per annum (double it for $). You also get teaching duties (a la TA) which bring you in another 3-6k. This is all tax-free!

You can easily live on this anywhere outside of London -- or inside if you don't mind living like a student still :smile:

The universities make most of their money from overseas fees so they will try and class you as an international student if they possibly can.
Only some parts of the uni will try to make money like that -- the ones who look after the finances. If you get in with a good supervisor, they should try to make your life as easy as possible; ie. not try to make money out of you.

Last edited:
cristo said:
Here's something I found from the university of manchester which may help: http://www.manchester.ac.uk/postgraduate/fees/whichfees/
well the first question iv'e already answered, the second as i said i live at israel from infancy, for the third question because i haven't lived in EU/UK i cannot answer it.

well i guess when the time will come ill ask for those forms which i guess every uk univ has, and then decide upon this.

Best people to ask for these kind of (passport/nationality) questions are the embassies -- that's what they're there for and they're usually extremely willing to help.

J77 said:
You can finish a PhD in 3 years. During that time you get funding from a research council of about 10-12k gbp per annum (double it for $).
12-15k nowadays; the latter being the London stipend. And you're right, it is quite hard to live in london on that without being a student!

1. What are the top European universities for physics?

The top European universities for physics include ETH Zurich in Switzerland, University of Cambridge in the United Kingdom, Ludwig Maximilian University of Munich in Germany, Ecole Polytechnique in France, and Technical University of Munich in Germany.

2. What factors make a university the "best" for physics?

Some factors that contribute to a university being considered the "best" for physics include its research output, faculty expertise, available resources and facilities, student satisfaction and success, and international reputation.

3. How do these European universities rank on a global scale?

According to the 2021 QS World University Rankings, ETH Zurich is ranked 6th, University of Cambridge is ranked 3rd, Ludwig Maximilian University of Munich is ranked 32nd, Ecole Polytechnique is ranked 58th, and Technical University of Munich is ranked 50th in the world for physics.

4. What makes European universities stand out in the field of physics?

European universities have a long history of excellence in the field of physics, with some of the most groundbreaking discoveries in the subject being made by European scientists. Additionally, many European universities have strong collaborations with renowned research institutions and have a diverse and international student body.

5. Are there any notable alumni from these top European universities in the field of physics?

Yes, there are many notable alumni from these top European universities in the field of physics, including Albert Einstein (ETH Zurich), Stephen Hawking (University of Cambridge), Max Planck (Ludwig Maximilian University of Munich), Marie Curie (Ecole Polytechnique), and Werner Heisenberg (Technical University of Munich).