US Government's Biofuel Cap: Effects of Removing it?

• Thread starter fugg
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Limits
In summary, the US government is encouraging and limiting biofuel growth at the same time. My question is, why set the current cap of 10% on biofuels? Why is that cap there, and what would be the effects of removing it, assuming that the engine hardware is bioresistant material (i.e. no brass/copper)? Are engine deposits the only concern?
fugg
The US government is encouraging and limiting biofuel growth at the same time. My question is, why set the current cap of 10% on biofuels? Why is that cap there, and what would be the effects of removing it, assuming that the engine hardware is bioresistant material (i.e. no brass/copper)? Are engine deposits the only concern? The lower energy density? Thanks in advance.

Engineering news on Phys.org
I would guess that emissions and/or damage to exhaust components would be the biggest concern. I think biofuels tend to burn less cleanly due to less regulation, but I'm not sure about that.

Hello. Biofuels have higher NOx emissions but generally lower carbon emissions to my knowledge so that wouldn't seem to be it. What damage exactly are you referring to?

Noone's familiar enough with biofuels to give a response?

fugg said:
What damage exactly are you referring to?

From what I understand, if you run biodiesel or vegetable oil in a diesel engine, it can result in damage the catalytic converter due to more exhaust particulates being burned. In addition, fuel filters clog up faster, and fuel lines can "gel" with biodeisel in cold environments.

In engines that were not designed to run ethanol, the ethanol can eat through o-rings and seals that were designed for gasoline.

I think the point is that not all cars on the road are 100% compatible with all the biofuels out there, and there are a lot of people that don't fully understand the fuels or if their car would be compatible with it or not.

fugg said:
what would be the effects of removing it, assuming that the engine hardware is bioresistant material

That assumption is the main technical reason; incompatibility. There's also some political pressure from the fossil fuel refiners which most governments won't have the appetite to address in one fell swoop.

Mech_Engineer said:
From what I understand, if you run biodiesel or vegetable oil in a diesel engine, it can result in damage the catalytic converter due to more exhaust particulates being burned. In addition, fuel filters clog up faster, and fuel lines can "gel" with biodeisel in cold environments.

In engines that were not designed to run ethanol, the ethanol can eat through o-rings and seals that were designed for gasoline.

I think the point is that not all cars on the road are 100% compatible with all the biofuels out there, and there are a lot of people that don't fully understand the fuels or if their car would be compatible with it or not.

Sounds like the confusion caused by the conversion to unleaded 20 odd years ago.

from what I have heard, the new diesel engines have a particulate filter. to clean it a "shot" of raw fuel is allowed to go out the exhaust valve to burn it clean, and bio goos up the filter.
I haven't taken a new one apart so don't know for sure
but, I have to wonder if it has to do with big oil wanting to control it
they can't be happy about the "bio-moonshine"

dr

Right but 'big oil' itself' has begun significant investment in biofuels on the scale of hundreds of millions in indiviual projects, as well as some of the big manufacturers like Rolls Royce.
The filter does seem a major hurdle given the replacement of seals/rings with appropriate material. Thanks for the response.

1. What is the US Government's Biofuel Cap?

The US Government's Biofuel Cap is a policy that limits the amount of biofuels that can be produced and used in the United States. It was implemented in 2007 as part of the Energy Independence and Security Act, with the goal of reducing the country's dependence on foreign oil and promoting the use of renewable energy sources.

2. What are the potential effects of removing the Biofuel Cap?

Removing the Biofuel Cap could have both positive and negative effects on the environment, economy, and energy industry. Some potential effects include an increase in biofuel production and use, which could reduce greenhouse gas emissions and promote energy independence. However, it could also lead to higher food prices, as biofuels are often made from crops that are also used for food production. It could also impact the profitability of traditional fossil fuel companies and the overall stability of the energy market.

3. Why is there a debate about removing the Biofuel Cap?

There is a debate about removing the Biofuel Cap because it is a complex issue that involves multiple stakeholders with different interests. Some argue that removing the cap would help the environment and promote renewable energy, while others argue that it could have negative economic consequences. There are also debates about the effectiveness of biofuels in reducing emissions and the potential impact on food prices.

4. What are the current laws and regulations surrounding biofuels in the US?

In addition to the Biofuel Cap, there are other laws and regulations in the US that govern the production and use of biofuels. These include the Renewable Fuel Standard (RFS), which requires a certain amount of biofuels to be blended into transportation fuel, and the Clean Air Act, which sets emissions standards for biofuels. Additionally, there are state-level regulations and incentives for biofuel production and use.

5. How might the US Government's Biofuel Cap affect the global biofuel industry?

The US is one of the largest producers and consumers of biofuels in the world, so any changes to the Biofuel Cap could have a significant impact on the global biofuel industry. If the cap is removed, it could lead to an increase in US biofuel production and exports, which could potentially affect the market and prices of biofuels in other countries. It could also influence the policies and regulations surrounding biofuel production in other countries.