Trig Equations: Solving for x in Given Ranges

• Thread starter xdeanna
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Trig
In summary, the conversation discusses two questions on a test, with the given conditions of x being greater than or equal to 0 and less than or equal to 360. The first question is 2sin x + sin x cos x = 0 and the second question is sin 2x = -1/sqrt(2). The expert provides a summary of the steps to solve the first question and suggests a starting point for the second question. The conversation also mentions the use of LaTeX for typesetting equations and a link is requested for learning.
xdeanna
I had some questions on a test and i got these two wrong..

x is greater than or equal to 0 and x is less than or equal to 360

1) 2sin x + sin x cos x = 0
2) sin 2x = -1/sqrt(2)

Physics news on Phys.org
xdeanna said:
I had some questions on a test and i got these two wrong..

x is greater than or equal to 0 and x is less than or equal to 360

1) 2sin x + sin x cos x = 0
2) sin 2x = -1/sqrt(2)
Show us what you did and we'll go from there...

2Sin x + cos x sin x = 0
Sin x(2 + cos x) = 0
sin x = 0
x= sin^-1(0)
x=0degrees
or
2+ cos x= 0
cos x =-2
x= cos^-1(-2)
x=?

I did something different on the test but i think this is wrong too >.<

Don't make show what I did for #2 :(

Well, cos x = 2 does not have any solutions in x. This is because the range of cos x is [-1, 1]

xdeanna said:
2Sin x + cos x sin x = 0
Sin x(2 + cos x) = 0
sin x = 0
x= sin^-1(0)
x=0degrees
This is one solutions; there are two other numbers x in [0, 360] (deg.) for which sin(x) = 0. The inverse sine function will only produce numbers in the interval [-90, 90], in degrees. Think about where the graph of y = sin(x) crosses the x-axis.
xdeanna said:
or
2+ cos x= 0
cos x =-2
x= cos^-1(-2)
x=?

I did something different on the test but i think this is wrong too >.<

Don't make show what I did for #2 :(

OK, maybe I can help you get started in the right direction. If sin(2x) = -1/sqrt(2), then 2x = sin-1(-1/sqrt(2)). What are the possible values of 2x in [0, 720] (deg), so that sin(2x) = -1/sqrt(2)?

it's long time that I haven't posted anything here and so I forgot everything about latex. Will anybody here consider giving me link so that I can learn to type it.

then I'll post solution for this problem.

What are trig equations?

Trig equations are mathematical equations that involve trigonometric functions such as sine, cosine, and tangent. They are used to model and solve problems related to angles and triangles.

How do you solve trig equations?

To solve a trig equation, you need to use algebraic techniques such as factoring, the quadratic formula, or trigonometric identities. You also need to have a good understanding of the properties and graphs of trigonometric functions.

What is the unit circle and how is it related to trig equations?

The unit circle is a circle with a radius of 1 unit that is centered at the origin (0,0) on a coordinate plane. It is used to understand the properties of trigonometric functions and their relationship to angles and triangles. Trig equations often involve angles, and the unit circle helps us visualize and solve them.

How do you use the Pythagorean identity to solve trig equations?

The Pythagorean identity is a trigonometric identity that states: sin²θ + cos²θ = 1. This identity is used to simplify trig equations by substituting sin²θ with 1 - cos²θ or cos²θ with 1 - sin²θ. This can help us solve equations that involve both sine and cosine functions.

What are some common mistakes when solving trig equations?

Some common mistakes when solving trig equations include forgetting to check for extraneous solutions, not using the correct trigonometric identities, and making algebraic errors. It is important to always double-check your solutions and make sure they satisfy the original equation.