Thermodynamics - ideal gas properties

I CORRECT?In summary, the conversation discusses calculating enthalpy, entropy, and internal energy of substances treated as ideal gases. The enthalpy change equation is given and it is noted that at constant pressure, the integral of Cp with respect to T is sufficient. The confusion arises when trying to simplify the equations for entropy and internal energy, but it is mentioned that using the fact that U and PV are state functions can help. Finally, the equation dH = TdS + VdP is suggested for use in all paths.
johnsmith456
Hey guys,

I'm working on calculating the enthalpy, entropy and internal energy of substances. treating them as an ideal gas. I wonder if I could be pointed in the right direction with some calculations.

Enthalpy change:
h2-h1=∫cp dT+ ∫[v-T(∂v/∂T)P]dP

At ideal gas the pressure integral goes to zero.
So we have just the integral of Cp with respect to T.

All correct so far?

Its with the entropy and internal energy where I get confused.

ds = (Cp)dT - (∂v/∂T)P dP

is there a way to simplify this further at ideal gas to make it easily calculated ?

I guess internal energy can be calculated from h using h = u + Pv.

Thanks very much

Look forward to any replies.

Physics news on Phys.org
johnsmith456 said:
Enthalpy change:
h2-h1=∫cp dT+ ∫[v-T(∂v/∂T)P]dP

At ideal gas the pressure integral goes to zero.
I am not sure how you get this. If H = U + PV, then dH = dU + PdV + VdP and ΔH = ΔU + ∫PdV + ∫VdP = ΔQ + ∫VdP

So, if pressure is constant, ∫VdP = 0, so ΔH = ΔQ = ∫CpdT

So we have just the integral of Cp with respect to T.

All correct so far?
Not in general. This is true only if P is constant.
Its with the entropy and internal energy where I get confused.

ds = (Cp)dT - (∂v/∂T)P dP
Since U and PV are state functions, ΔU and Δ(PV) are independent of the path between two states so they are the same whether the path is reversible or irreversible. For a reversible path, ΔH = ΔQ + ∫VdP = ∫TdS + ∫VdP. Consequently, this must be true for all paths.

So you can use: dH = TdS + VdP

AM

What is thermodynamics?

Thermodynamics is a branch of physics that deals with the relationships between heat, work, energy, and temperature. It studies how these quantities affect and are affected by physical systems.

What is an ideal gas?

An ideal gas is a theoretical gas that follows the ideal gas law, which describes the relationship between pressure, volume, and temperature. It is a simplified model for real gases that assumes they have no intermolecular forces and occupy no volume.

What are the properties of an ideal gas?

The properties of an ideal gas include a constant temperature, pressure, and volume, as well as a linear relationship between pressure and volume (Boyle's Law) and a direct relationship between temperature and volume (Charles's Law).

How does the ideal gas law relate to thermodynamics?

The ideal gas law (PV=nRT) is a fundamental equation in thermodynamics that describes the behavior of ideal gases at a molecular level. It combines the concepts of temperature, pressure, and volume to predict the behavior of gases in various conditions.

What is the difference between real and ideal gases?

Real gases deviate from ideal gas behavior due to intermolecular forces and non-zero volume. They also exhibit non-linear relationships between pressure, volume, and temperature. Ideal gases, on the other hand, do not exhibit these deviations and follow the ideal gas law precisely.