How do i do high voltage frequency?

In summary, the 555 timer can be used to generate a square wave up to 300kHz. You will need an amplifier to drive the power needed. The main risk of high voltage AC waveforms is from electric shock.
flobro
how do i do high voltage frequency?

i have been working with a 555 timer but i want to do a square wave 100 to 300 khz at up to 100 volts and 3-6 amps so i need something much larger any recomendations? thanks

Engineering news on Phys.org
That is a lot of power. I think you can use the 555 timer as your small signal generator. You need to amplify this signal. Just putting it through a transformer will not be enough because the energy has to come from somewhere. You will need some power MOSFETs probably to amplify the signal to a high voltage, and these MOSFETS need to be rated for the amount of power you're trying to transfer (600 Watts). From this stage, depending on what voltage you amplified the original signal to, you can then pass the signal through a transformer to step up the voltage to what you need. The key is you need to amplify the original signal with an amplifier that can drive the power you need. Also you need to make sure there is minimal attenuation on your amplifier stages at the frequencies youre generating. I hope this sets you in the right direction, but there are some more experienced people here who can help you better.

thanks TheAnalogKid83 now i have something to work with

does anyone know if 600 watt mosfet's from an audio amplifier will work?

possibly, although those are in a design where the signals amplified are much lower frequencies than the frequencies youre talking about. Check the datasheet for their part number and see what frequencies they operate at.

also, I'm not the best at electronics, but if youre doing a square wave, a switching mosfet might be what youre looking for (i am assuming switching mosfets are on/off for square wave type waveforms instead of operating in the linear region of a transistor). A switching transistor is a lot easier to design than an amplifying transistor in my opinion, and this may be all that you need.

flobro said:
i have been working with a 555 timer but i want to do a square wave 100 to 300 khz at up to 100 volts and 3-6 amps so i need something much larger any recomendations? thanks

Why do you want to go to that high of a voltage? It's quite dangerous to be working with voltages over about 42V (Underwriter's Labs limit for low voltages), especially if you are just now learning about electronics. I'd strongly suggest that you stick with voltages more in the 30-40V range for now.

Yes. And these high frequencies can easily couple into objects; like your ring (glowing red hot almost instantaneously) and could boil you bodily fluids.

Berkeman, correct me if I'm wrong.

dlgoff said:
Yes. And these high frequencies can easily couple into objects; like your ring (glowing red hot almost instantaneously) and could boil you bodily fluids.

Berkeman, correct me if I'm wrong.

Not really at 300kHz. That would be more like microwave oven frequencies in the ISM band around 2.4GHz. The main risk of <1MHz high voltage AC waveforms (and the HV DC power supplies for powering the amplifier circuits) is from electric shock. Once you get into the MHz region, you add the issue that you are violating FCC rules about putting out harmful interfence with broadcast radio and other bands. You will get a very serious knock on your door if you do that.

My bad. I saw MHz when the OP said kHz.

The ring thing came from a story a old ham told me when I was a kid. He was matching his transmitter to an antenna by taping a tuning coil. He said that he accidentally aligned his finger with the coil and the ring almost burned his finger off.

dlgoff said:
My bad. I saw MHz when the OP said kHz.

The ring thing came from a story a old ham told me when I was a kid. He was matching his transmitter to an antenna by taping a tuning coil. He said that he accidentally aligned his finger with the coil and the ring almost burned his finger off.

Oh, baby! Yeah, when you're talking kW of transmit power, you've got to be pretty careful. Yeowtch!

thanks for the concern and the good information, and i think i will leave the high power stuff for the experts, i found what i was looking for on ebay. this is a great forum though and i will be back

1. How do I calculate high voltage frequency?

To calculate high voltage frequency, you can use the formula: frequency = 1/period, where the period is the time it takes for one cycle to occur. You can measure the period by using an oscilloscope or by counting the number of cycles in a given time frame.

2. What is considered high voltage frequency?

High voltage frequency typically refers to frequencies above 100 kHz. However, the exact range may vary depending on the specific application and industry.

3. How do I generate high voltage frequency?

High voltage frequency can be generated using an oscillator circuit, which converts a DC input into an AC output at a specific frequency. This can be achieved through various methods such as using a transformer or an LC circuit.

4. What are the dangers of working with high voltage frequency?

Working with high voltage frequency can be dangerous due to the potential for electric shock. It is important to follow proper safety procedures and wear appropriate protective gear when working with high voltage equipment.

5. How do I test the accuracy of my high voltage frequency?

You can test the accuracy of your high voltage frequency by comparing it to a known reference frequency. This can be done using a frequency counter or by connecting your circuit to a calibrated signal generator.