Linear Algebra - Determinants and Scalar Multiplication

In summary, the conversation discusses determinants and their properties, specifically the fact that multiplying a column by a scalar also multiplies the determinant by that scalar. The conversation also explains the geometric intuition behind this concept and provides a visual proof for it. Finally, the conversation touches on the fact that the determinant of a singular matrix must be zero, but this is not directly related to the original question.
evelynn

Homework Statement

If [tex]det\left[
\begin {array}{ccc}
a&1&d\\
\noalign{\medskip}
b&1&e\\
\noalign{\medskip}
c&1&f
\end {array}
\right]=-4
[/tex] and [tex]det\left[
\begin {array}{ccc}
a&1&d\\
\noalign{\medskip}
b&2&e\\
\noalign{\medskip}
c&3&f
\end {array}
\right]=-1
[/tex],

then [tex]det\left[
\begin {array}{ccc}
a&8&d\\
\noalign{\medskip}
b&8&e\\
\noalign{\medskip}
c&8&f
\end {array}
\right]=___
[/tex]

and [tex]det\left[
\begin {array}{ccc}
a&-1&d\\
\noalign{\medskip}
b&-4&e\\
\noalign{\medskip}
c&-7&f
\end {array}
\right]=___
[/tex]

The Attempt at a Solution

For the first question, I'm pretty sure that I can factor out an 8 as it is a scalar multiple of the second column. One of the properties of determinants is that if a row or column is multiplied by a scalar, then we can factor the scalar out and then multiply the determinant by that scalar. Thus, the answer would be -32.
However, I am really stumped by the second question. I am sure that the scalar -1 is somehow multiplied into the matrix, but I am not sure how the numbers were obtained. I'm thinking that each row must have resulted from the scalar multiple of another row. However, if that's the case, then why are the unknowns unaffected?
I am seriously at my wit's end and any direction would be helpful.
Thank you!

Physics news on Phys.org
(-1,-4,-7) is (-3)*(1,2,3)+2*(1,1,1). A determinant is a linear function of each of it's columns.

Note that detA = detA^T. And also the determinant of A+B where A,B differ by a single row is det(A+B). Now multiply the column 1,2,3 of that matrix by 3. What do you have to multiply the 2nd column of the 1,1,1 column matrix such that adding up both gives you -1,-4,-7?

Wow! It makes so much more sense now that you've mentioned detA=detA^T to me! Thank you so much!

Now that you have already seen the algebraic explanation, here is an image tutorial showing the geometric intuition behind it:
http://img137.imageshack.us/img137/6679/determinantrowopsjx2.png

The image explains in 2D, but in higher dimensions everything is the same except parallelograms become paralellipipeds and the determinant measures volume not area.

Can you see why the determinant of a singular matrix has to be zero?

Last edited by a moderator:
Uh, what has that got to do with the OP's question?

It is a visual proof that
1) Multiplying a column by a constant scales the determinant by that constant, and
2) The determinant is linear in any particular column.

What is a determinant in linear algebra?

A determinant is a mathematical concept used to determine certain properties of a square matrix, such as whether it is invertible or not. It is calculated by summing the products of elements in the matrix according to a specific rule.

How is the determinant of a matrix calculated?

The determinant of a matrix can be calculated using various methods, such as by hand using the cofactor expansion method, or using software tools such as calculators or programming languages.

What are the properties of determinants?

Determinants have several important properties, including being a measure of the matrix's "size" or scaling factor, being equal to zero for singular matrices, and being multiplicative for scalar multiplication and matrix multiplication.

What is the significance of determinants in linear algebra?

Determinants are significant in linear algebra because they provide important information about the properties of a matrix, such as whether it is invertible, linearly independent, or has a unique solution in a system of linear equations.

How are determinants used in real-world applications?

Determinants have many practical applications, such as in solving systems of linear equations in engineering and physics, calculating areas and volumes in geometry, and in cryptography for encryption and decryption algorithms.