Finding Noether Charges from Action

In summary: And so we have the following identities:\delta\mathcal{L}=-\epsilon^a\left(T_a\right)^i_j\phi^j\delta_{\phi_i}=\phi_i-\epsilon^a\left(T_a\right)^i_jIn summary, the action is invariant under a coordinate transformation, so we can replace the first equation's first term with the RHS of the Euler-Lagrange equation. We can find the noether charges and related quantities by solving for them.
malawi_glenn
Science Advisor
Homework Helper
Gold Member
Giving an action, a general one:

[tex]S = \int dt L(q^i,\dot{q}^i,t)[/tex]

now assume this action is invariant under a coordinate transformation:

[tex]q^i \rightarrow q^i + \epsilon ^a (T_a)^i_jq^j[/tex]

Where T_a is a generator of a matrix Lie group.

Now one should be able to find the consvered quantities, the "Noether Charges", and how those relate to the matrix lie group.

BUT HOW?

I have never done so much in school about actions, just lagrangians and hamolitonians.

For instance, if one only considered translation: [tex]q^i \rightarrow q^i + \epsilon q^i[/tex], and if the Lagrangian/hamiltonian is invariant under translations -> we know that the linear momentum is conserved. But how do we show it with the action and noether currents/charges?

Now this is a quite general question, I have never quite understood this, and is related to what I asked a couple of days ago in the math section about Lie Subgroups. I am trying to appreciate Group Theory, in perticular Lie Groups. This is a "general example" on its application to classical mechanics which I found somewhere, but then I found out that I am totally lost when it comes to performing the "searches" for noether charges.

Physics news on Phys.org
Have you found the answer to this question?

I'm going to use [itex]\mathcal{L}\left(\phi,\partial_\mu\phi,t\right)[/itex] as my lagrangian as this is the notation I'm used to typing :) But this doesn't change the process.

Ok since you know that the action is invariant under this transformation we have that [itex]\delta\mathcal{L}=0[/itex], so that:
[tex]
\delta\mathcal{L}=\frac{\partial\mathcal{L}}{\partial\phi_i}\delta_{\phi_i}+\frac{\partial\mathcal{L}}{\partial\left(\partial_\mu\phi_i\right)}\delta\left(\partial_\mu\phi_i\right)
[/tex]
And we can then change [itex]\delta\left(\partial_\mu\phi_i\right)[/itex] to [itex]\partial_\mu\left(\delta\phi_i\right)[/itex].
Using the Euler-Lagrange equation:
[tex]
\frac{\partial\mathcal{L}}{\partial\phi_i}=\partial_\mu\left(\frac{\partial\mathcal{L}}{\partial\left(\partial_\mu\phi_i\right)}\right)
[/tex]
We can see that our first equation's first term can be replaced with the RHS of the E-L giving:
[tex]
\delta\mathcal{L}=\partial_\mu\left(\frac{\partial\mathcal{L}}{\partial\left(\partial_\mu\phi_i\right)}\right)\delta_{\phi_i}+\frac{\partial\mathcal{L}}{\partial\left(\partial_\mu\phi_i\right)}\partial_\mu\left(\delta\phi_i\right)
[/tex]
Which we can bring into one term by the product rule:
[tex]
\delta\mathcal{L}=\partial_\mu\left(\frac{\partial_\mu\mathcal{L}}{\partial\left(\partial_\mu\phi_i\right)}\delta_{\phi_i}\right)
[/tex]
Since as we stated [itex]\delta\mathcal{L}=0[/itex] we can make the identification:
[tex]
\partial_\mu\underbrace{\left(\frac{\partial\mathcal{L}}{\partial\left(\partial_\mu\phi_i\right)}\delta_{\phi_i}\right)}_{J^\mu}
[/tex]
As this fulfils [itex]\partial_\mu J^\mu=0[/itex]

We can then look at the [itex]\delta\phi_i[/itex] terms under an infinitesimal change:
[tex]
\delta\phi_i&=\phi_i-\phi'_i=\phi_i-\left(\phi_i+\epsilon^a\left(T_a\right)^i_j\phi^j\right)\\
&=-\epsilon^a\left(T_a\right)^i_j\phi^j
[/tex]

1. How do you calculate Noether charges from an action?

The Noether charge is calculated by taking the derivative of the Lagrangian with respect to the corresponding symmetry transformation. This derivative is then integrated over the space-time volume to obtain the Noether charge.

2. Why are Noether charges important in physics?

Noether charges are important because they represent conserved quantities in a physical system. This means that these quantities do not change over time, even as other variables in the system may change.

3. What is the relationship between symmetries and Noether charges?

Noether's theorem states that for every continuous symmetry in a physical system, there exists a corresponding conserved quantity or Noether charge. This means that symmetries play a crucial role in determining the conserved quantities in a system.

4. Can Noether charges be calculated for any physical system?

Noether charges can be calculated for any physical system that exhibits symmetries. However, the calculations may be more complex for systems with higher degrees of symmetry or non-linear systems.

5. How are Noether charges used in theoretical physics?

Noether charges are used in theoretical physics to analyze and understand the symmetries of physical systems. They can also be used to derive important equations, such as the conservation laws in classical mechanics and the gauge field equations in quantum field theory.