Neutron stars and colour force

In summary, the gravitational pressure of general relativity is greater than the pressure of classical gravitational theory. The Einstein-Yukawa criterion states that the pressure is equal to the Yukawa interaction strength multiplied by the nuclear interaction strength.
kurious
If neutrons stay intact and get closer together than 10^-15 metres in a neutron star, would the exchange of mesons between neutrons stop and be replaced by the exchange of gluons, and would the gluons cause an attractive or repulsive force between neutrons? A repulsive force could
stop the collapse of the neutron star in place of neutron degeneracy pressure.

Astronomy news on Phys.org
As I unserstand it, the quarks would become unconfined and constitute a gas. The thermodynamics of this gas is under study by theoreticians.

Gluons carry two color charges, or rather a color and an anticolor; they will be attractive if the color algebra can be satisfied. But if a quark has the same color, or anticolor as a gluon then they will repel. Like charges still repel. Note the important fact that gluons can attract/repel each other too.

Try a search using 'quark star'. You may find that interesting.

Pretential Pressure...

A repulsive force could stop the collapse of the neutron star in place of neutron degeneracy pressure.

Classical Gravitational Pressure: (negative)
[tex]P_g = \frac{G M_s^2}{4 \pi r_s^4}[/tex]

Classical Yukawa Pressure: (positive)
[tex]P_y = f^2 \frac{e^{- \frac{r_1}{r_0}}}{4 \pi r_s^2 r_1^2}[/tex]

[tex]r_o = 1.5*10^{-15} m[/tex] - nuclear radius
[tex]r_1[/tex] - internuclear radius
[tex]r_s[/tex] - stellar radius
[tex]f[/tex] - nuclear interaction strength (positive)

Orion1 Criterion:
[tex]P_g = P_y[/tex]

[tex]\frac{G M_s^2}{4 \pi r_s^4} = f^2 \frac{e^{- \frac{r_1}{r_0}}}{4 \pi r_s^2 r_1^2}[/tex]

Orion1-Yukawa Critical Mass:
[tex]M_c = f \frac{r_s}{r_1} \sqrt{ \frac{e^{- \frac{r_1}{r_0}}}{G}}[/tex]
[tex]r_1 < r_0[/tex]

Based upon the Orion1 solution, what is the critical mass magnitude of a Kurious Neutron Star?

One should be very careful here. Under the high density assumption, the formula for classical graviational pressure may have to be replaced by the GR equivalent. (For a neutron star, I am told that this is a correction of about 10%; it would be higher for more dense objects). One thing is certain: in classical GR, once matter collapses inside its Schwarzschild radius, (or some other radius for more complex - eg rotational - spacetime geometries) no force can prevent the collapse to a singularity no matter how powerful. This is because the world lines of particles must lie within the light cones, and the light cones point towards the singularity.

Could the repulsive gravitational effect of dark energy stop the particles from lying within the light cones?

Chandresekhar Criterion...

Under the high density assumption, the formula for classical graviational pressure may have to be replaced by the GR equivalent. (For a neutron star, I am told that this is a correction of about 10%; it would be higher for more dense objects). One thing is certain: in classical GR, once matter collapses inside its Schwarzschild radius,...

Orion1-Yukawa Critical Mass:
[tex]M_c = f \frac{r_s}{r_1} \sqrt{ \frac{e^{- \frac{r_1}{r_0}}}{G}}[/tex]

[tex]r_1 < r_0[/tex]

Classical GR Chandresekhar Radius:
[tex]r_{c} = \frac{2GM_c}{c^2}[/tex]

Chandresekhar Criterion:
[tex]r_s <= r_{c}[/tex]

[tex]r_s <= \frac{2GM_c}{c^2}[/tex]

[tex]M_{ch} = \frac{r_c c^2}{2G}[/tex]

Classical Chandresekhar-Yukawa Mass Limit:
[tex]M_c = M_{ch}[/tex]

[tex]\frac{r_c c^2}{2G} = f \frac{r_s}{r_1} \sqrt{ \frac{e^{- \frac{r_1}{r_0}}}{G}}[/tex]

[tex]r_s = r_c[/tex]

[tex]\frac{c^2}{2G} = \frac{f}{r_1} \sqrt{ \frac{e^{- \frac{r_1}{r_0}}}{G}}[/tex]

Chandresekhar-Yukawa nuclear interaction strength Limit:
[tex]f_1 = \frac{r_1c^2}{2} \sqrt{\frac{e^{\frac{r_1}{r_0}}}{G}}[/tex]

[tex]r_1 < r_0[/tex]

Based upon the Orion1 solution, what is the magnitude of the Chandresekhar-Yukawa Limit?

Based upon the Orion1 equations, what are the Standard International (SI) units for [tex]f_1[/tex]?

Last edited:
Relative Relation...

Under the high density assumption, the formula for classical graviational pressure may have to be replaced by the GR equivalent. (For a neutron star, I am told that this is a correction of about 10%; it would be higher for more dense objects).

What is the exact GR formula for gravitational pressure?

Rothiemurchus said:
Could the repulsive gravitational effect of dark energy stop the particles from lying within the light cones?
Not unless it can exert an infinite force :smile:
orion1 said:
What is the exact GR formula for gravitational pressure?
I wish I knew... try the GR forum?
What I can tell you is that when one studies motion in a Scharzschild metric, the post-Newtonian effects are encoded in an additional attractive 1/r^3 term in the potential. Still, I don't think it would be correct to take the derivative of that and throw in an additional 1/r^4 attractive force. It's not conceptually correct in any event (there is no gravitational force or local field energy in GR), and I don't know if it would give a correct answer. I strongly suggest asking one of the local GR experts.

Gravity Gyruss...

Einstein field equation gravitational potential:
[tex]\nabla^2 \phi = 4 \pi G \left( \rho + \frac{3P}{c^2} \right)[/tex]

General Relativity gravitational pressure:
[tex]P_e = \frac{c^2}{3} \left( \frac{\nabla^2 \phi}{4 \pi G} - \rho \right)[/tex]

Einstein-Yukawa criterion:
[tex]P_e = P_y[/tex]

[tex]\frac{c^2}{3} \left( \frac{\nabla^2 \phi}{4 \pi G} - \rho \right) = f^2 \frac{e^{- \frac{r_1}{r_0}}}{4 \pi r_s^2 r_1^2}[/tex]

Reference:
http://super.colorado.edu/~michaele/Lambda/gr.html

Last edited by a moderator:
Lame Latex...

Latex Generator Failure.

Einstein field equation gravitational potential:
[!tex]\nabla^2 \phi = 4 \pi G \left( \rho + \frac{3P}{c^2} \right)[/tex]

General Relativity gravitational pressure:
[!tex]P_e = \frac{c^2}{3} \left( \frac{\nabla^2 \phi}{4 \pi G} - \rho \right)[/tex]

Einstein-Yukawa criterion:
[!tex]P_e = P_y[/tex]

[!tex]\frac{c^2}{3} \left( \frac{\nabla^2 \phi}{4 \pi G} - \rho \right) = f^2 \frac{e^{- \frac{r_1}{r_0}}}{4 \pi r_s^2 r_1^2}[/tex]

Reference:
http://super.colorado.edu/~michaele/Lambda/gr.html

Could someone please repost my Latex source code? My Latex Generator has failed. (just remove '!' symbol from [!tex])

Last edited by a moderator:

1. What is a neutron star?

A neutron star is a type of celestial object that is formed when a massive star collapses in on itself during a supernova explosion. It is composed almost entirely of densely packed neutrons, hence the name "neutron" star.

2. How are neutron stars different from other types of stars?

Neutron stars are much smaller and denser than other types of stars, with a typical diameter of only about 20 kilometers. They also have incredibly strong gravitational and magnetic fields, making them some of the most extreme objects in the universe.

3. What is the color force and how does it relate to neutron stars?

The color force is a fundamental force that binds quarks together to form protons and neutrons in an atomic nucleus. In neutron stars, the intense pressure and density cause the color force to become even stronger, creating a state of matter known as quark matter.

4. Can we observe the color force in action on neutron stars?

While we cannot directly observe the color force, we can study its effects on neutron stars through observations of their physical properties, such as their size, mass, and magnetic fields. These observations can provide valuable insights into the nature of the color force and the behavior of matter under extreme conditions.

5. Are all neutron stars the same color?

No, neutron stars can have different colors depending on their temperature and composition. Some may appear red or orange due to their cooler temperatures, while others may appear blue or even white due to their higher temperatures. However, the color of a neutron star does not necessarily reflect the color force at work within it.