Fusion reaction energy and columb barrier

In summary: I suggest you take a step back and actually learn some plasma physics before trying to offer your two cents on the subject.In summary, Vanadium 50 asks about the stability of two neutrons in a nucleus and how the colomb barrier plays a role. His question is not relevant to understanding how nuclear physics can be applied to fusion.
Deepak247
I'm currently studying Freidberg's plasma physics and fusion energy book, I've heard that Fusion between Deutrium and tritium is most suitable for a fusion reactor and how columb barrier plays its role....my question is

what happens when two neutrons fuse together? do they face columb collision?

Physics news on Phys.org
Neutrons can collide but they do not stick together, they just bounce off each other.

why is that so? is it related to the columb barrier? also how do they stick together in a nucleus of let's say of helium?

Deepak, you have posted many questions on the applications of nuclear physics to fusion. Since you don't know any nuclear physics - or even quantum mechanics - we cannot help you understand how nuclear physics can be applied to fusion.

You have to start at the beginning.

Vanadium 50 said:
Deepak, you have posted many questions on the applications of nuclear physics to fusion. Since you don't know any nuclear physics - or even quantum mechanics - we cannot help you understand how nuclear physics can be applied to fusion.

You have to start at the beginning.

Mr Vanadium 50 sir,

With all due respect, I'm a student of science who in his best of abilities is trying to learn more and is still in progression, I've covered some topics of Quantum Mechanics, here my knowledge may be amateur as compared to the others but I'm poised to learn so please bare with me and try to answer if possible, as one of my professors once said
"there are no stupid questions, only stupid answers"

so anyone reading this , please help me as I'm eager to get a reply for my question

There is no stable 2-neutron configuration. I'm not very familiar with this subject myself, but basically the 2-neutron configuration just doesn't stick - the dynamics of which is governed by Quantum Chromo-dynamics.

If you refuse to start at the beginning, it will be difficult to help you. Your lack of understanding will not be our fault.

Vanadium 50 said:
If you refuse to start at the beginning, it will be difficult to help you. Your lack of understanding will not be our fault.

Its ok...try your best, I am trying my best to understand and learn more

Matterwave said:
There is no stable 2-neutron configuration. I'm not very familiar with this subject myself, but basically the 2-neutron configuration just doesn't stick - the dynamics of which is governed by Quantum Chromo-dynamics.

OK then, is there any stable configuration of other particles...let's say of two protons...how do they stick together if possible in a fusion reaction? what role does coloumb barrier plays in it?

No, you're not trying your best. Which is why I am losing patience with you. You need to start at the beginning. Otherwise, you are wasting your time and ours. Refusing to gain the background knowledge to understand the answer to your questions is not a sign of wisdom.

The progression is elementary physics, quantum mechanics, nuclear physics and then and only then, will nuclear physics as applied to fusion make any sense.

There isn't a stable configuration of two protons. So one cannot explain how they stick together because they don't.

I will answer this, and whether or not you will understand is not my place to judge, but I am a plasma scientist and I work with nuclear fusion so here is the simplest way I can explain. In helium 4 the neutrons are not the only particles exerting force, like strong interaction and gravitation. The protons are interacting with these as well, and as strong interaction is vastly more powerful than electromagnetic force the particles will hold stable. dineutrons ARE a theoretical particle used in the nuclear reactions with exotic nuclei. However there could be no binding force and the interactions could not conceivably make them fuse. I would also like to point out this is not fusion, as it is not a system in itself. It is not a nuclei therefor isn't the fusion of two nuclei.

D-T reactions are the most energy efficient because the massive leap down in the mass of the sum of the parts. Also it is interesting to note that it is not the Helium after that reaction ejecting a neutron, but rather the particle going into alpha decay, ejecting Helium 4 with 3.5 MeV and the neutron goes whizzing off with a massive 14.1 MeV.

For your basic knowledge I would recommend researching the basic force interactions as well as the generations of matter and a bit on nuclear fusion.

And Vanadium 50, I will simply state that firstly your original post on this thread had absolutely nothing to do with his question. You also masquerade under the false impression that you are helping when you give no constructive help nor is there ANY reason for you to post your comment directed at him on this thread when it pertains to many threads, when you could have simply mailed it you chose instead to make him look like he didn't know anything on the topic on a public thread. You also have no right to determine what someone else's best is. Blatant attack on a question that could be simply answered is never justified, questions are what makes this community thrive as scientists, and doing such as this can completely turn someone off to science, and it is not tolerated in the scientific community.

And lastly to comment on the two proton configuration that is because of the spin-spin interaction and it is not fundamentally wrong, it is a theoretical particle that would exist if the strong interaction were two percent stronger.

Hope I could be of assistance

Thanks Mattenerinfo...It was of much help

1. What is fusion reaction energy?

Fusion reaction energy is the energy released when two or more atomic nuclei combine to form a heavier nucleus. This process is the same reaction that powers the sun and other stars.

2. How is fusion reaction energy different from fission energy?

Fusion reaction energy is the opposite of fission energy, which is the energy released when a heavy nucleus splits into smaller nuclei. While fission is the process used in nuclear power plants, fusion is still a theoretical energy source that has not been successfully harnessed on Earth.

3. What is the Coulomb barrier?

The Coulomb barrier, also known as the Coulomb force, is the electrostatic repulsive force that exists between two positively charged nuclei. This barrier is the largest obstacle in achieving fusion reactions because it requires a high amount of energy to overcome.

4. How can we overcome the Coulomb barrier to achieve fusion energy?

To overcome the Coulomb barrier, extremely high temperatures and pressures are needed to bring the nuclei close enough together for the strong nuclear force to take over and fuse the nuclei. This is known as inertial confinement or magnetic confinement fusion.

5. What are the potential benefits of fusion energy?

Fusion energy has the potential to provide a nearly limitless source of clean and sustainable energy without producing greenhouse gas emissions or generating radioactive waste. It could also potentially reduce dependence on fossil fuels and lessen the impact of climate change.