Who inspired and inspires you?

• Thread starter theoristo
  • Start date
In summary, Roger Waters and David Gilmour are my favorite music artists. They both inspire me with their music and their insights into the universe.
theoristo
My personal favorite is Feynman,for living inspirational icons it would be neil degrasse tyson or Sean Carroll because they're really really good or william dunham because of his book,what about you ,who inspires you?

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Richard Dawkins for giving me the only plausible answer to the question "Why am I here?" and a much deeper appeciation of nature, Ludwig Wittgenstein for helping me sort out which questions are worth asking and which are not.

Roger Waters and David Gilmour

I find Lev Landau inspiring. He contributed to many areas of physics. From solid state to fluid dynamics, and cryogenics to plasma physics!

Beavis and Butthead.

My Mom.

WannabeNewton said:
Beavis and Butthead.

Butt-Head: Hey Beavis. I bet when we get that reward money, we can like, see that movie about stiffies, and we can like, pay for our own tattoos.

Beavis: Yeah! Then we'll be cool.

Butt-Head: I'll get a tattoo of a butt.

Beavis: I'll get a tattoo of a butt *on* my butt!

Butt-Head: Oh yeah?

Beavis: Yeah!

Butt-Head: Well I'll get a tattoo of a butt that has a butt-shaped tattoo on it, and I'll get it right on my butt! That would be cool.

Beavis: [briefly pauses] Yeah, me too.

huhu uh uh

Pythagorean said:
Roger Waters and David Gilmour

from my musical perspective that would also be a yes for me. Tho I would have to add
Lindsey Buckingham and Mick Fleetwood from Fleetwood Mac. I have always been really impressed by Lindsey's guitar style.

In the sciences field ... hmmmm, there's no one that really stands out. Over the many years there's been a lot of guys that have mentored me in audio and RF electronics. There were several lecturers at university during my geology studies I really looked up to. They just had an awesome teaching style. ( and of course there were some that were pretty bad!)

Dave

WannabeNewton said:
Beavis and Butthead.

that's a bit of a worry WBN ;)

haha

D

I think Waters and Gilmour even inspired me towards science by making me think about things in a deeper context. As far as scientists go, Henri Poincare is pretty far up there, probably Erdos too. I really like the polymaths.

davenn said:
that's a bit of a worry WBN ;)

haha

D
:wink:

One of my mathematics professors. He is my man-crush.

Ray Bradbury

Sherlock Holmes (Doyle's); Howard Roark (Rand's); Albert Einstein (From Ideas and Opinions); Madam Curie; Agatha Christie; Prometheus; The Universe...

the sixth finger(1963) and dr. manhattan.

Dr. Strangelove

krash661 said:
the sixth finger(1963) and dr. manhattan.

Your obsession with Dr Manhattan almost equals mine with Sherlock Holmes...
Though I have to admit I did not like that movie- Darkness I can put up with but not with hopelessness.

krash661 said:
the reason why I'm obsessed are in these descriptions,

dr. manhattan,
http://www.imdb.com/character/ch0060115/bio

the sixth finger,
http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0667848/plotsummary?ref_=tt_ov_pl

I have seen the movie. I liked Rorsach better. Probably because a) even he wasn't as hopeless as Manhattan was towards the end. b) manhattan's omnisensce scares me - I couldn't bear to wake up and realize there's nothing more to be learnt. c) Rorsach tells a great joke...

Sheldon Cooper :D yes I know he is fictional but as I can relate to some aspects of the character, I feel asthough I should so in math / physics too.

MathJakob said:
Sheldon Cooper :D yes I know he is fictional but as I can relate to some aspects of the character, I feel asthough I should so in math / physics too.

Well MJ if you can have a fictional character, I can have robots: the Mars Rovers! Especially Spirit and Opportunity :!). Their story actually makes me emotional :redface:. They inspire me with their "perseverance" and "courage", and how they exceeded all expectations. Yes, it's as if they had personalities.

Y'all know anthropomorphism, of course. My new word: anthro-robo-morphism :approve:.

lisab said:
Well MJ if you can have a fictional character, I can have robots: the Mars Rovers! Especially Spirit and Opportunity :!). Their story actually makes me emotional :redface:. They inspire me with their "perseverance" and "courage", and how they exceeded all expectations. Yes, it's as if they had personalities.

Y'all know anthropomorphism, of course. My new word: anthro-robo-morphism :approve:.

I really should have added them to my list...

MathJakob said:

Et tu MJ, then fall my ego.
I'm going to go and eat my hat...
*dips it into mayo*
(To anyone who doesn't have any idea what I am talking about: https://www.physicsforums.com/showthread.php?t=703676 watch me get pulverized here :eek:))

Hendrix inspired me, and Robben Ford did, too, a generation later.

After meeting Ford in person, I was less inspired, but still am in awe of his guitar skills.

Bertrand Russel, Carl Sagan and Mikael Akerfeldt!

ViolentCorpse said:
Bertrand Russel, Carl Sagan and Mikael Akerfeldt!

Willing to wager that most people wouldn't know the last guy. Those not into Opeth, that is. Luckily, I'm not one of those. :biggrin:

If, on the other hand, you'd mentioned Brian May, even PF-ers who were never into Queen's music might know the name, since he's a PhD in Astrophysics and all.

Curious3141 said:
Willing to wager that most people wouldn't know the last guy. Those not into Opeth, that is. Luckily, I'm not one of those. :biggrin:

If, on the other hand, you'd mentioned Brian May, even PF-ers who were never into Queen's music might know the name, since he's a PhD in Astrophysics and all.

Haha It's great to see a fellow Opeth fan at PF! :biggrin:

Btw, I didn't know Brian May was a PhD in Astrophysics! :O

1. Who is your biggest inspiration in your field of study?

My biggest inspiration in my field of study is Marie Curie. She was the first woman to win a Nobel Prize and the first person to win it twice in different fields. Her dedication and passion for science continue to inspire me to push boundaries and make new discoveries.

2. How has your inspiration influenced your research and work?

The inspirational figures in my field have influenced my research and work by setting a high standard for determination, hard work, and creativity. They have taught me to persevere through challenges and to think outside the box in my approach to scientific problems.

3. Can you name any other scientists who have inspired you?

Albert Einstein is another scientist who has greatly inspired me. His revolutionary theories and insights have greatly impacted the world of physics and continue to be relevant today. His curiosity and passion for uncovering the secrets of the universe have always been a source of motivation for me.

4. How do you stay inspired and motivated in your work?

I make sure to continuously challenge myself and set new goals for my research. I also surround myself with like-minded individuals and engage in discussions and collaborations to stay updated on the latest developments in my field. Additionally, I take breaks and participate in activities outside of work to maintain a healthy work-life balance.

5. Do you have any advice for aspiring scientists looking for inspiration?

My advice would be to read about the lives and works of influential scientists in your field and to attend conferences and seminars to learn from experts. It's also important to stay curious and to never stop asking questions. Don't be afraid to take risks and think outside the box, as that is often where groundbreaking discoveries are made.