Solving Nano Tio2 in Water: Challenges and Solutions

• Thread starter dana3kil
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Nano Water
In summary, the conversation is about the difficulty in dissolving nano Tio2 in water for the purpose of creating a nanocomposite. While some articles suggest that it can be dissolved, the expert explains that TiO2 is actually insoluble in water. They suggest trying to obtain a stable dispersion using a dispersant. However, for a homogeneous nanocomposite, there are other methods that may be more effective. The expert recommends consulting specialized books or publications for a potential synthesis procedure.
dana3kil
Hi every one .
I am trying to make nanocomposite and I need to solve nano Tio2 in water
many paper said that it will dissolve in water
but I could not .
I don not know what is the problem :cry:

Engineering news on Phys.org
TiO2 is insoluble in water. If 'many paper' say it is, they are either wrong or there is some procedure which is used and you are not picking up on it.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Titanium_dioxide

This article says nanotubes of TiO2 are prepared using either a strong NaOH solution or a dilute HF solution.

"Dissolve" and sometimes "solve" is often used as a synonym of disperse. So if you mean that you are unable to obtain a stable dispersion of your nanopowder, you should try adding a dispersant.

Thank you
but in case of using a solvent how can I get rid of it . (water will evaporate )
and will dispersion give me homogeneous composite or I need to dissolve the material

As already said, TiO2 is insoluble in water in the sense of decomposing into free ions. However, with sufficiently small particles and appropriate dispersants you can obtain relatively stable suspensions. In the case of very small particles, i.e. nanosized ones the suspension is called colloidal solution. In order to obtain a homogeneous composite you need to obtain a homogeneous and stable suspension of your TiO2 and whatever other materials are to from the composite with the aid of a dispersant (also called defloculant sometimes). However, this approach is not very adequate for achieving homogeneity on the nanoscale since the nanoparticles easily flock together even in very well defloculated suspensions. For nanocomposites there are other methods for achieving high homogeneity such as sol-gel, polymerized complex, etc. I recommend you to go to the library and find a specialized book on ceramic materials or composites processing. Also check carefully if a synthesis procedure hasn't already been developed. There is a high probability there are publications describing it.

1. What is Nano Tio2 and why is it a challenge to solve in water?

Nano Tio2, or nanoscale titanium dioxide, is a type of nanoparticle commonly used in various industries due to its unique properties. However, when added to water, it tends to clump together, making it difficult to disperse evenly and affecting its effectiveness. This poses a challenge for scientists trying to find ways to effectively use Nano Tio2 in water-based applications.

2. What are the potential solutions for solving Nano Tio2 in water?

There are several potential solutions to this challenge. One approach is to modify the surface of the nanoparticles to make them more compatible with water. This can be done through surface coating or functionalization. Another solution is to use dispersants or surfactants to prevent the nanoparticles from agglomerating. Additionally, techniques such as sonication or high-pressure homogenization can help break up clumps of nanoparticles and disperse them in water.

3. What are the main factors that affect the solubility of Nano Tio2 in water?

The solubility of Nano Tio2 in water is affected by several factors, including the particle size, shape, and surface chemistry of the nanoparticles. Smaller particles have a larger surface area and are more prone to agglomeration, while surface modifications can affect the interactions between the nanoparticles and water molecules. The pH and ionic strength of the water can also play a role in the solubility of Nano Tio2.

4. How can the solubility of Nano Tio2 in water be measured?

The solubility of Nano Tio2 in water can be measured using various techniques, such as dynamic light scattering, zeta potential analysis, and UV-Vis spectroscopy. These methods can provide information about the particle size, stability, and interactions between the nanoparticles and water molecules. Other techniques, such as transmission electron microscopy and X-ray diffraction, can also be used to visualize and characterize the nanoparticles in water.

5. What are the potential applications of Nano Tio2 in water-based systems?

Nano Tio2 has a wide range of potential applications in water-based systems, such as water treatment, photocatalysis, and biomedical applications. The ability of Nano Tio2 to efficiently absorb UV light and generate reactive oxygen species makes it useful for degrading pollutants and purifying water. Its unique properties also make it a promising material for drug delivery and imaging in biomedical applications.