Starting a physics degree course questions about direction of study.

In summary, the individual is a computer programmer who has enrolled in a physics degree with the Open University in the UK. They are struggling to decide which modules to choose, as they are interested in all aspects of physics including astronomy, quantum mechanics, and math relevant to their career goals. They are seeking advice on how to make these decisions from others who have gone through a similar process.
TheBigBlind
Hi, I'm a computer programmer who's just signed up for a physics degree with the Open University (UK) and I'm still undecided where to direct my study with regards choice of modules.

Astronomy amazes me, the overwhelming size and age of the universe makes my head spin and excites my imagination.

The spooky quantum stuff WOW's me, its almost like magic! form the basic interpretations I've read in popular science books and magazines... it bugs me, something chronic, that I don't know more about it.

The maths stuff, while hard grind is very relevant to where I would like to take my current programming vocation: computer graphics and game development.

But I can't take every module :¬( and need to make some decisions.. yet I'm interested in it all.

If you guys had to decide on the direction of your study how did you make the call? and can you offer me any advice?

Thanks.

Physics news on Phys.org
I don't know how the Open University works, but a normal 4-year physics curriculum includes both a significant amount of math, and a few classes on quantum mechanics. Neither astronomy nor cosmology (which is what you actually described) are considered core curriculum material for a physics major.

- Warren

OU includes certain elements of all in the core and has a few select Astronomy modules you can pick up. It also has specific modules for at different points for quantum mechanics, maths over and above what would be considered "core" or modules.

1. What is the typical duration of a physics degree course?

The typical duration of a physics degree course is usually 3-4 years for a bachelor's degree and an additional 2-3 years for a master's degree.

2. What are the key subjects covered in a physics degree course?

Some of the key subjects covered in a physics degree course include mechanics, thermodynamics, electromagnetism, quantum mechanics, and relativity.

3. Is a physics degree course math-intensive?

Yes, a physics degree course is math-intensive as it involves applying mathematical concepts and equations to understand and solve physical phenomena.

4. What career opportunities are available for graduates with a physics degree?

Graduates with a physics degree have a wide range of career opportunities in fields such as research and development, engineering, data analysis, teaching, and finance.

5. How can I prepare for a physics degree course?

To prepare for a physics degree course, it is recommended to have a strong foundation in mathematics and physics, as well as developing critical thinking and problem-solving skills. It is also beneficial to familiarize yourself with basic concepts and theories in physics before starting the course.