Looking for simple self energy calculations

In summary, the conversation discussed self energy calculations for an upcoming QFT exam. The individual is seeking advice on simple examples to prepare for the exam and the conversation suggested calculating mass shifts in scalar field theory and self energy of fermions in Yukawa theory. It was also mentioned that understanding Feynman diagrams and rules is key to successful self energy calculations.
kaesekuchen86
Hi everybody,

I'm writing my QFT exam tomorrow and I know that there will be a self energy calculation. Since I am not that familiar with it, because we didn't do any self energy calculations in the exercises so far, I would like to do some simple calculations.
I think the electron self energy, the vacuum polarization and the vertex correction are too difficult for an exam. I already found the easiest example for Phi^3 theory and I think something like this could come in the exam:

-----( )---------- (1 Bubble)

The calculation was not too difficult.
Do you guys know any other simple selfenergy calculation? I would like to be prepared as good as possible for tomorrow :)
Thank you!

Physics news on Phys.org

Hi there,

First of all, good luck on your QFT exam tomorrow! Self energy calculations can definitely be tricky, but with some practice and understanding of the concepts, you can definitely do well on the exam.

One simple self energy calculation that comes to mind is the calculation for the mass shift in a scalar field theory. This can be done by considering a scalar field interacting with a background scalar field, similar to the example you provided with the Phi^3 theory. Another simple example is the calculation for the self energy of a fermion in a Yukawa theory, which involves integrating over the momentum of the virtual particle.

In general, the key to self energy calculations is to carefully consider the Feynman diagrams involved and to use the appropriate Feynman rules. I would also recommend reviewing any notes or lectures on the topic and practicing with different examples to get a better understanding of the process.

Again, best of luck on your exam tomorrow! I hope this helps and please feel free to ask any other questions.

1. What is self energy in physics?

Self energy is a term used in physics to describe the energy possessed by an object due to its own presence and structure. It is also known as the internal energy of the object.

2. How is self energy calculated?

The calculation of self energy involves the use of mathematical equations and principles such as Coulomb's Law, which relates the energy of a charged object to its distance from other charged objects. Other factors such as mass, velocity, and position may also be taken into account depending on the specific scenario.

3. What is the importance of self energy calculations?

Self energy calculations are important in understanding and predicting the behavior of objects and systems in physics. They can help determine the stability and equilibrium of a system, as well as provide insights into the interactions between different objects.

4. Can self energy be negative?

Yes, self energy can be negative. This occurs when the energy of an object is decreased due to interactions with other objects, resulting in a decrease in its overall energy.

5. What are some common applications of self energy calculations?

Self energy calculations are used in a variety of fields such as electromagnetism, quantum mechanics, and thermodynamics. They can be applied to systems ranging from individual particles to large-scale structures, and have practical applications in fields such as engineering and materials science.