Good book for non school reading?

In summary, the individual has £25 or $40 worth of book tokens and is looking for a scientific or engineering book that does not require a degree in the subject. They are considering "The Emperor's New Mind" or a biography of Alan Turing. They are also open to other suggestions. Another individual suggests "The Feynman Lectures" or "Fermat's Enigma" for those interested in math history and "How the Universe Got Its Spots" for those interested in the size and shape of the universe. However, the latter may be difficult for those without a strong math background.
rollcast
I have £25 or $40 worth of book tokens to spend. I normally don't read fiction books and was thinking of getting a scientific or engineering orientated book that I could read without having a degree in the relevant subject?

I like electronics and physics and had though about either getting The Emperors New Mind or the biography of Alan Turing?

Anyone else got any suggestions?

Thanks
AL

Physics news on Phys.org
The Feynman lectures??

Which Turing bio are you looking at? I've been hoping to find a good one.

If you're looking for a pop sci kind of book, Fermat's Enigma is really well-written and doesn't assume a lot of math background. It gives you a pretty good view of math history in the course of following those who attempted to (and Andrew Wiles, who did) solve Fermat's Last Theorem.

I recently read Janna Levin's How the Universe Got Its Spots which is about the size and shape of the universe. I thought it was pretty interesting, but I've taken a lot of math and I still found it tough...she gets into topology and stuff like that. Also, I know very little about physics and so I can't comment as to how accurate it is.

What makes a good book for non school reading?

A good book for non school reading is one that is engaging and interesting, with well-developed characters and a compelling plot. It should also have a writing style that is easy to follow and understand.

What genres are popular for non school reading?

Some popular genres for non school reading include fiction, romance, mystery, and self-help. However, the best genre for you will ultimately depend on your personal interests and preferences.

How do I choose a book for non school reading?

When choosing a book for non school reading, consider your interests and what you are in the mood for. You can also look at book reviews and recommendations from friends or online sources to help guide your decision.

Can I read a book for non school reading to improve my vocabulary?

Absolutely! Reading books for non school purposes can help expand your vocabulary and improve your overall language skills. It can also expose you to new words and phrases that you may not encounter in a school setting.

Are there any benefits to reading books for non school purposes?

Yes, reading books for non school purposes can have numerous benefits. It can improve critical thinking skills, reduce stress, and increase empathy and understanding of different perspectives. It can also be a great form of entertainment and relaxation.